Pick to click Rules and Regs

Rules and Scoring:

It should be easy to keep track of who picks whom.

1 pick per person per game. (so if there's a double header, you get 2 picks...one for each game) Don't make a pick with a substitute pick either. The first player listed is your pick. Because of situations like pinchhitters if you pick a player that is it. BUT you do have up until the first pitch of a game to CHANGE or MAKE your pick. Hitters are the only players eligible, no pitchers.

If the highest scoring player is not picked by anyone, then the next highest scoring player, who was picked by a contestant, wins.

1 pt per Base

1 pt per RBI

1 pt per RS

1 pt per SB

(-1 pt per out in official AB or CS, in case of tie only)

A specific player can only be taken twice in one week. Picking a player for a 3rd time is the same as making no pick.

This is the site where the standings and picks can be viewed.

http://whitesox.blogspot.com/

Does everyone like this system???

I can't pick a pitcher?  :angry:

The only way that we can include pitchers in the contest is to have a subjective system where one person picks the winner for the night. Other than that we found it was nearly impossible to come up with a fairly simple point system that put the hitters and pitchers on equal footing.

I am still open to the idea of having a subjective system with all players (pitchers included) being available to play.

Feel free to discuss.

I think it sucks.

:)

I 2nd that. :D

My vote:

1 pt per Base

2 pt per RBI

2 pt per RS

2 pt per SB

(-1 pt per out in official AB or CS, in case of tie only)

INCLUDE The :finger arms!

1 pt per scoreless inning

2 pt per hitless inning

1 pt per K's out side

-1 pt per run scored(unearned incl)

(-1 pt per walk, in case of tie only)

So, a guy that goes 5 for 5 with 5 singles and gets picked off one time loses to a guy that goes 1 for 6 with a solo shot? :angry:

I'm just giving you a hard time. I realize that you don't have to do this and I'll have fun with it either way. :)

So, a guy that goes 5 for 5 with 5 singles and gets picked off one time loses to a guy that goes 1 for 6 with a solo shot? :angry:

I'm just giving you a hard time. I realize that you don't have to do this and I'll have fun with it either way. :)

5/5 = 5 pts

1/6 = 5 pts .. I don't see why you would ever count home as a base when it's always part of a run scored. Either that or make R equal to 1 pt.

tie-breaker 4 vs 0. The 5/5 guy wins.

5/5 = 5 pts

1/6 = 5 pts .. I don't see why you would ever count home as a base when it's always part of a run scored. Either that or make R equal to 1 pt.

tie-breaker 4 vs 0. The 5/5 guy wins.

actually a solo HR is worth 6 points. 4TB, 1RS and 1 RBI.

SS:

actually a solo HR is worth 6 points.  4TB, 1RS and 1 RBI.

He was referring to my "proposed" scoring system.

And I would not count 4TB for a HR nor would I count it as an RBI. I would count 3 bases, & a RS. I would never count home as a base total because it's always a RS. I hate counting things twice.

We are not talking about seasonal stats here, but rather PTC measure. An RBI should require a MOB in the PTC measure.

Of course do we want to go back into the argument of how assenine it is to equate an RBI to a walk in this game?

:bang on the skull of the PTC scoring system author :usa

Here's an idea with pitchers.

Give them a point for each inning they pitch and then take a way 1.5 points for each run they give up. To make it simple don't punish them for walks or hits given up. Then they get a point for a win, lose a point for a loss and don't get anything for a ND.

This way a pitcher goes 8 innings, gives up two runs and gets the win, they get 6 pts. Sounds like a fair point scale since he sucked.

Lets say he goes 5 gives up 4 runs and gets the win. Well in this case he only gets 0 points so for pitching a mediocre game they'll get no loving. The one thing is, for them to be the PTC they really have to pitch an awesome game, but it would at least leave things open for pitchers.

What do you all think?

Give them a point for each inning they pitch and then take a way 1.5 points for each run they give up.  To make it simple don't punish them for walks or hits given up.  Then they get a point for a win, lose a point for a loss and don't get anything for a ND.

This way a pitcher goes 8 innings, gives up two runs and gets the win, they get 6 pts.  Sounds like a fair point scale since he sucked.

Lets say he goes 5 gives up 4 runs and gets the win.  Well in this case he only gets 0 points so for pitching a mediocre game they'll get no loving.  The one thing is, for them to be the PTC they really have to pitch an awesome game, but it would at least leave things open for pitchers.

What do you all think?

That actually isn't a bad system, what does everyone else playing think?

I have a question on the rule about only picking a player twice in one week.  Is it once per calendar week or once every seven days?

The week starts with Monday and runs to Sunday. I like the biblical week, plus I don't like interupting the weekend series into two different weeks.

Give them a point for each inning they pitch and then take a way 1.5 points for each run they give up.  To make it simple don't punish them for walks or hits given up.  Then they get a point for a win, lose a point for a loss and don't get anything for a ND.

This way a pitcher goes 8 innings, gives up two runs and gets the win, they get 6 pts.  Sounds like a fair point scale since he sucked.

Lets say he goes 5 gives up 4 runs and gets the win.  Well in this case he only gets 0 points so for pitching a mediocre game they'll get no loving.  The one thing is, for them to be the PTC they really have to pitch an awesome game, but it would at least leave things open for pitchers.

What do you all think?

Me no like. Reason: a 2 HR game should not be > than a no-hitter.

In SS's scoring system, a 2 HR game is 12 pts. A no-hitter can only get 9 pts.

I would say a pitcher should definitely win PTC if he pitches a CG SO.

In my system the same comparison works out as follows:

2 HR = min 10 pts.

CG SO = min 27 pts.

Upon further review, I've decided upon a much more simpler system.

Hitters:

1 pt per base & 1 base for each advancement of a runner.

Examples:

An RBI hit = 2 pt

An RBI out = 1 pt

A HIT, SF, BB, HP, FC, SB = 1 pt

RS = 0 pts. The run either scores on a steal or because of the play of the hitter.

A HR will generate betw 4 (NON) & 10 (GS) pts

Pitchers:

1 pt per out, -1 pt per base, -1 pt per run

Examples:

CG NH SO: 27 pts (the equivalent of 3 GS would be needed to beat that)

CG SO, 10 hit game = 17 pts (the equivalent o f2 GS would beat that)

Ex 5/8/2003

Garland: 5ip, 8 hits, 5er = 2 pts.

White: -2 pts

Sanders: 0 pts

Koch: 2 pts

Graff 0 pts

Hurt 5 pts

Magg 6 pts

If Maggs did not win the PTC that day, he should have.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I add a quick comment about the scoring and ruling of who wins?

Say, in a hypothetical sitation, that we are playing a game. And in this game, Frank Thomas goes 3-4 with 3 homers and 8 RBI....but he comes up in the bottom of the 9th, Sox down by 3, with the bases loaded, and he strikes out. And say that in this same particular game, that Magglio Ordonez goes 1-4 with 3 K's and he comes up after Thomas in the 9th, and he hits a a walk-off homer. Normally....Frank would win. However, what I am suggesting is that, if something like this occurred, where a player comes up huge like this(in this instance, a player hits a game winning homer), he deserves it more then the player with more points.

Is this understood, and if so, what does everyone think?

Can I add a quick comment about the scoring and ruling of who wins?

Say, in a hypothetical sitation, that we are playing a game.  And in this game, Frank Thomas goes 3-4 with 3 homers and 8 RBI....but he comes up in the bottom of the 9th, Sox down by 3, with the bases loaded, and he strikes out.  And say that in this same particular game, that Magglio Ordonez goes 1-4 with 3 K's and he comes up after Thomas in the 9th, and he hits a a walk-off homer.  Normally....Frank would win.  However, what I am suggesting is that, if something like this occurred, where a player comes up huge like this(in this instance, a player hits a game winning homer), he deserves it more then the player with more points.

Is this understood, and if so, what does everyone think?

I think it's fine like so, just so everyone is on the same page, but I get your point, click is kinda open to interpretation. What about if Maggs' homre was send it to extra innings and then Olivo bunts in the winning run in extras, different people came up clutch so a scoring system keeps the subjectivity out of it.

If a ptc doesn't play (not just doesn't start, he may pitch run/hit) does it count as a pick for the 2 picks rule? I know I have until the first pitch to change but that isn't always possible. Also can we pick by position? For example taking whoever is DH or Catching, etc.

If a ptc doesn't play (not just doesn't start, he may pitch run/hit) does it count as a pick for the 2 picks rule? I know I have until the first pitch to change but that isn't always possible. Also can we pick by position? For example taking whoever is DH or Catching, etc.

As long as the game is played your PTC for a day counts, even if he doesn't play. We also have always had people pick specific players for the games. It gets too confusing and muddied if there are pinchhitters and injuries and such over the course of a game. There is much less potential for problems and mix ups by giving everyone just one player.

• 3 months later...

I'm baaaacccckkkkkkkk! To stir up the pot. Yet again.

I was thinking about the scoring .. again.

What if we went to a straight system & once again added pitchers?

Maybe 2 PTCs: 1 for pitchers & 1 for hitters?

Scoring system:

Highest OPS that night wins PTC for hitters.

Lowest OPS vs that night wins PTC for pitchers.

If you don't think OBP should be weighted that high, then how about :

PTC ab winner : Highest(2*SLG+OBP).

PTC ip winner : Lowest(2*SLG+OBP).

Now the big hit like Frank had on Sunday will carry more weight.

I'm baaaacccckkkkkkkk!  To stir up the pot.  Yet again. 

I was thinking about the scoring .. again.

What if we went to a straight system & once again added pitchers?

Maybe 2 PTCs: 1 for pitchers & 1 for hitters?

Scoring system:

Highest OPS that night wins PTC for hitters.

Lowest OPS vs that night wins PTC for pitchers.

If you don't think OBP should be weighted that high, then how about :

PTC ab winner : Highest(2*SLG+OBP).

PTC ip winner  : Lowest(2*SLG+OBP).

Now the big hit like Frank had on Sunday will carry more weight.

I know. I know. You need an example:

SLG = TB (Total Bases) ÷ AB (At Bats) where TB= H + 2B + (2 x 3B) + (3 x HR)

OBP = (H+BB+HBP+FC)/(AB+BB+HBP+SF)

Since we would double the weight of SLG for PTC the first place to look is ESPN's

game log which can be found very quickly after the game in schedule & results.

Go straight to HR & RBI's:

HR: F Thomas (39, 7th inning off D Baez 2 on, 2 Out); P Konerko (18, 8th inning off D Lee 1 on, 1 Out)

RBI: M Ordonez (85), C Lee (98), F Thomas 3 (93), P Konerko 2 (65)

Thomas = 4/3

Koney = 6/4

Nah ... forget it. It's too much work.