Boston @ Chicago - ALDS Game 2

Heads22

Are you saying if we score more than 4 runs, we have a significant chance of winning each game?  Is that the new "magic number"??

Yes. They are that type of team. If you score more than 4 against them chances our it will be several more than 4.

How loose is Ozzie?

Ozzie:

“I said, ‘Look, I’m going to bring in a 70-year old man (Orlando “El Duque’’ Hernandez) to close the game, and you bring your fat man (Bob Wickman). You got one bigger than mine (Bobby Jenks). Back and forth like that." :lol:

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
I think you're right.  Ol' Bloody Sock is the saviour, is he not?

Buehrle is a streak pitcher I saw him get shelled and then come back an win the next 5 in a row didn't he have a 15 game streak between 2 seasons I think he's got another 11 wins or so before he falters but we need to get to that trash talking, shaving cream on the arm wearing and general gluttonous slovenly wells. Who after he loses will blame everybody on the bosox team but himself!!! :gosoxretro:

Of all people, Gammons made a great point, IMO, last night when he said Buehrle attacks the strike zone and will not allow the red sox to sit back and take a lot of pitches. He thinks this game favors the real sox.

I think the key for the Sox is to keep the score close, make boomer throw a lot of pitches then feast on that weak ass pen of the bosox.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
I dont really want to start a whole new thread, so I will just put this here. This from SoSH

I added in the Red just to eliminate confusion.  :D

That is the exact problem the WHITE Sox have had for years before this one. They would go out and score a bunch of runs one night, and very few the next couple, but when you added the total runs scored you get an obscene total that is ultra-impressive. It would be interesting to see what their standard deviations for runs scored are.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
Oh, please, please, please, please, please win.

I read through this thread looking to echo someone's sentiments and this is pretty darn close to what I'm thinking today.

This win isn't going to come easily for either club. This one oughta be a nail-biter.

A win today and I'm on cloud nine. Let's Go Go Go White Sox! :gosox1: :gosox4: :gosox1:

Skilling's Game 2 forecast:

Temperature at game time: 82 degrees

Temperature at 9 p.m.: 77 degrees

Winds: Nearly due South with 17 m.p.h. to 24 m.p.h. gusts

The weather for Game 2 could be quite extraordinary by October standards, with rain holding off and temperatures beyond anything you could normally hope for.

Much cooler air is on the way in coming days, but the front bringing it this way has slowed and appears likely to hold off until the predawn hours of Thursday. This will allow the warm air of recent days to linger through Wednesday's game.

If the front has sped up overnight--like the White Sox bats--all weather bets are off. But, as it stands now, Wednesday night's weather could be warm, windy and summerlike with storms waiting until after the game

QUOTE(BDavisFutureHOF @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
Seriously -- this is f***ing KILLING me! I want to be at home soo bad sittin gon my couch, drinkin a beer (or 8) and watching this game but yet time is f***ing CREEPING by................  :banghead

^^^^^

Stupid f@#%ing work :angry:

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
Yes.  They are that type of team.  If you score more than 4 against them chances our it will be several more than 4. 

How loose is Ozzie?

Ozzie:

“I said, ‘Look, I’m going to bring in a 70-year old man (Orlando “El Duque’’ Hernandez) to close the game, and you bring your fat man (Bob Wickman). You got one bigger than mine (Bobby Jenks). Back and forth like that."    :lol:

I read that too about the Choke sign and that Indians game. "70-year-old pitcher"!!!!

LOL. Ozzie rules.

My take on MB is that he gets tired towards the latter part of the year & usually weakens as the game goes on against good teams. Even if MB gets thru 5 or 6 innings unscathed I will really be focusing on his pitchcount. I think tonight that 80 pitches will be near his peak. Oz will definitely need to watch the pitch count & pull him around 90 pitches. If MB goes 100 pitches and looks lightsout....IM ALL FOR IT! & of course if we are killing em again then this post is pure hogwashdumpydoodoo.

Here's an optimistic take: the Red Sox will overcompensate with patience yesterday after their hasty approach a day ago. This means that when Mark attacks the zone like he usually does-Boston will take too many strikes early in the count and Mark will get ahead of hitters. Even if they come out hacking-they might swing their way into a deeper funk after yesterday. Plus, Wells likes Buehrle so much that I think Mark can be in David's head just a little. Wells might try to be too fine today

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
Here's an optimistic take: the Red Sox will overcompensate with patience yesterday after their hasty approach a day ago. This means that when Mark attacks the zone like he usually does-Boston will take too many strikes early in the count and Mark will get ahead of hitters. Even if they come out hacking-they might swing their way into a deeper funk after yesterday. Plus, Wells likes Buehrle so much that I think Mark can be in David's head just a little. Wells might try to be too fine today

To go along with your final thoughts, I think yesterday's explosion was huge for much more than the obvious (win game 1, release pressure/jitters etc) and that being Red Sox pitchers now know if they make mistakes the Sox can make them pay. That could cause (at least I'm hoping) Red Sox pitchers to try to be too careful, throw a lot of pitches and walk a bunch of batters. We'll see.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
^^^^^

Stupid f@#%ing work  :angry:

It's weird. I want to be home to watch the game, but it's opening night for hockey. And well, nothing like going to a live game of anything. So, I'll be at the hockey game. Meanwhile, I'll be surfin' my phone internet keeping up on the score.

The weather still is hot, like it is in Chicago but add 15 degrees. Tomorrow is supposed to suck, even by Dallas standards. 60 degrees and mist.

The wife's emailed me from her work:

Her dinner menu tonight:

Homemade soft pretzels

Hot Dogs

Beer.

God, I love her.

Now, I'll just change into my Buehrle jersey and hope for the best.

Edited by robinventura23

From Scott Riefort's blog

White Sox vs. Wells

Career Batting numbers against Boston's starter today:

Uribe, 2-3, .667

Crede, 4-9, .444

Pods, 2-4, .500

Rowand, 2-6, .333

Dye, 6-28, .214

Everett, 5-23, .217, 1 HR, 4 RBI

Konerko, 3-14, .214, RBI

Iguchi, 0-3