Chicago @ Boston - ALDS Game 3

Heads22

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
freddie is too composed for my liking.  i would like to see more emotion out of him before i start to really embrace him.  he is given major opportunity to show us what his character as a competitor is.  i hope he goes to the hill with major chip on shoulder & big time edge to kick the BOSOX booties!

You see, I completely disagree with this. Why should he go out there and be yelling and jumping around on the mound? I hate it when I see a guy like Carlos Zambrano going crazy out there, I really don't want to see Garcia do it. The best thing I can see from a pitcher is like what we get from Garland, when he struck out Tejada earlier in the year, possibly the biggest pitch of the year for him, all he did was walk off the mound and go into the dugout, he was totally calm and showed nothing. He obviously cares about the game but he doesn't have to show it by screaming and fist pumping.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 07:18 AM)
You see, I completely disagree with this. Why should he go out there and be yelling and jumping around on the mound? I hate it when I see a guy like Carlos Zambrano going crazy out there, I really don't want to see Garcia do it. The best thing I can see from a pitcher is like what we get from Garland, when he struck out Tejada earlier in the year, possibly the biggest pitch of the year for him, all he did was walk off the mound and go into the dugout, he was totally calm and showed nothing. He obviously cares about the game but he doesn't have to show it by screaming and fist pumping.

Zambrano is just a maniac

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
freddie is too composed for my liking.  i would like to see more emotion out of him before i start to really embrace him.  he is given major opportunity to show us what his character as a competitor is.  i hope he goes to the hill with major chip on shoulder & big time edge to kick the BOSOX booties!

I have never heard of someone being "too composed".

Im guessing Schilling is going in game 3, if not starting, then he will be relieving Wakefield if he runs into any trouble.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
I have never heard of someone being "too composed". 

Im guessing Schilling is going in game 3, if not starting, then he will be relieving Wakefield if he runs into any trouble.

If Schilling is going, it's an easy win

:chair :chair :chair :gosox3: :gosox3: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosox4: :gosox4: :gosox2: :gosox2: :gosox2: :fight :fight :cheers

Ok so my game by game analysis on the pitchers continues. Freddy Garcia vs. Tim Wakefield.

First Garcia. Perfect man to be pitching in game 3 for us here. He's 6-2 in his career against the Sox. 10-3 in away games this year, with a 3.40 ERA and a 79/22 K/BB ratio. Didn't face Boston at all this year though. Post All - Star he hasn't been as good. Why? Well in 22 less IP, he's given up the same amount of HR's and hits (1 less) as Pre ASG. So that BAA has increased from .241 to .279. So not giving up the long ball (8 in July, then 4,4) will be a big key for him. And of course the start of the game, it's crucial that he puts up 0's on the board. 4.18 ERA from 0-15 (.333 BAA), and 7.11 ERA from 16-30. He's given up 11 HR's in those pitch counts as well.

Now Wakefield. The bad news, he's better at home and at day games too. But the good news, given up 9 more HR post ASG. As previously stated in 2 games against us this season 1-1 with a 6.57 ERA. 5 HR's in those 2 games as well, so we can certainly go for the long-ball against him. Now he's a pretty good pitcher with runners on and in SP (compared to the likes of Wells and even Garcia), but his ERA with no-one on is higher than those guys. And he's not a very good starter either.

So I actually think this will be quite a low scoring game. Both pitchers are in favorable situations, pitching to their strengths. I think we'll see our offense once again come majorly from the long ball. The key is for us, we need to have runners on when that's the case, and not let it be solo shots. Whoever jumps out to the early lead, will be really big in this game, because both pitchers are pretty good in the middle innings.

Yesterday I mentioned that statistically the MN for beating the BoSox is 4R. Generally speaking that's the best their staff can do: limit the other team to 4R. So if you hold their offense down to 4R you've got a solid chance of beating them. See Wed game.

The White Sox Road Warrior: Freddy Garcia.

Some of you knocked him & Kenny when we got him. But I knew he was EXACTLY what we needed. The reason why the White Sox didn't win the division from 2001-2004 had little to do with play at home. It was the road record. We were abysmal in those years.

Enter Freddy Garcia.

Road:

2004 8W-4L 92.2IP 3.59ERA 1.21WHIP .237BAA

2005 10W-3L 119.0IP 3.40ERA 1.13WHIP .247BAA

Day:

2004 9W-0L 66.2IP 2.43ERA 1.08WHIP .214BAA

2005 5W-3L 90.1IP 3.49ERA 1.25WHIP .260BAA

Hollywood can't script a better scenario for the White Sox.

On the flip-side here are Wakefield's Home & Day numbers.

Home:

2005 10W-4L 110.1IP 4.08ERA 1.22WHIP .240BAA

2004 06W-06L 113.2IP 4.99ERA 1.35WHIP .268BAA

Day:

2004 3W-3L 52.2IP 6.32ERA 1.52WHIP .309BAA

2005 6W-4L 76.0IP 2.84ERA 1.08WHIP .221BAA

Garcia better be at his best!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 05:18 AM)

So i guess you didn't like Pete Rose? You know there is a way to show your edge without showing up the other team....I just have never seen the intensity from FG and am anxiously awaiting to see it! Did you see Ozzie jump off the bench after gooch went yard? what should he have done? sat there and act stoic? this is a game of emotion and having fun. dont be a statue on the mound. roger clemens & nolan ryan both had that obvious edge that i am talking about. of course i will take a win anyway possible and respect your opinion alot....

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
So i guess you didn't like Pete Rose?  You know there is a way to show your edge without showing up the other team....I just have never seen the intensity from FG and am anxiously awaiting to see it!  Did you see Ozzie jump off the bench after gooch went yard?  what should he have done?  sat there and act stoic?  this is a game of emotion and having fun.  dont be a statue on the mound.  roger clemens & nolan ryan both had that obvious edge that i am talking about.  of course i will take a win anyway possible and respect your opinion alot....

...and Roger Clemens has been just a tad bit better than average in the playoffs. He honestly doesn't do that good(as opposed to the regular season career wise) in the playoffs.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
So i guess you didn't like Pete Rose?  You know there is a way to show your edge without showing up the other team....I just have never seen the intensity from FG and am anxiously awaiting to see it!  Did you see Ozzie jump off the bench after gooch went yard?  what should he have done?  sat there and act stoic?  this is a game of emotion and having fun.  dont be a statue on the mound.  roger clemens & nolan ryan both had that obvious edge that i am talking about.  of course i will take a win anyway possible and respect your opinion alot....

I have seen Freddy show emotion on the mound. When he gets an important strikeout he swings his arm and glares while he is walking off the mound. I dont know what you expect from Freddy. Should he pump his fist every out? Maybe he should argue with the umpire when he misses a call. He is hardly a statue.

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
Fast Freddy + Friday Afternoon= Win

This guy has been money for us all year, not only on the road but during the daylight hours. 

I have every confidence in the world that he will pitch lights out friday, and we will be breaking out our brooms.....

Its time to kee this ball rolling....

:gosox1:  :gosox2:  :gosox3:  :gosox4:  :gosoxretro:

If you know anything about Freddy, he gives up first inning runs because he hasnt worked into a sweat yet. It will be cold outside, Freddy likes pitching in the heat, hence why he likes day games. Im not sure he gets an advantage here.

This series may not be over with. Not by any means.

But my Red Sox-lovin' co-worker couldn't stop spewin' hate at his team this morning. He thinks their dead. They don't have it in them to come back, not without Pedro, Lowe, Foulke, hurt Schilling, etc.

In any case, this is the game KW acquired Freddy for.

BTW, I just read in the paper that Jon Garland will be pitching......in Game 1 of the ALCS.

:gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1:

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 08:56 AM)
I have seen Freddy show emotion on the mound.  When he gets an important strikeout he swings his arm and glares while he is walking off the mound.  I dont know what you expect from Freddy.  Should he pump his fist every out?  Maybe he should argue with the umpire when he misses a call. He is hardly a statue.

well if you have witnessed this then i am proved wrong.

i hope to see that same kind of "you aint beating me asshole" attitude that is necessary to win the big games that i personally haven't seen from him. i do know that the seattle fans came to a standing ovation when he left the game after being rocked over there. they are great fans so i must be missing the boat on FG. for sure all of seattle will be rooting like mad for the whitesox to do well!

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
Time to keep my streak going.

I've got a streak going too - starting with the first game in Cleveland I haven't been active on the game threads. Almost jumped on last night but didn't. Nor will I. Promise.

Also, it should be noted, that when Uribe was at bat my 4 year-old daughter touched the TV screen with her index finger and said "we need some magic." I'm not joking. You know what happened next. After Pods popped out I told her we need some more magic. She did it again. You know what happened next. My wife was looking at me kind of freaky when I told her that our daughter would be at my side for the remainder of the playoffs. No exceptions. :P

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
I hope it's the White Sox who play like there is no tomorrow on Friday. Keep their foot on the neck and all those other cliches apply, IMO. Don't go in thinking you only need to win 1 of 3. Win Friday. End this.

:headbang

:lolhitting And then it's over

:fight :fight :canada :gosox3: :gosox3: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosox4: :gosox4: :gosox2: :gosox2: :gosox2: :gosox2: :headshake :bang :chair :chair :chair