Quick thought on Ozzie

fathom

I've been bashing him all season, but I LOVED that he kept Jenks in for the 8th and 9th. Jenks didn't even have close to his best stuff, yet he still was able to make tough pitches. A lot of us got annoyed with how Ozzie would use 4 pitchers in an inning during the season. However, Ozzie didn't do that tonight, and made the Red Sox beat our best closer (with Hermanson's bad back). Good job Ozzie :cheers

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
I've been bashing him all season, but I LOVED that he kept Jenks in for the 8th and 9th.  Jenks didn't even have close to his best stuff, yet he still was able to make tough pitches.  A lot of us got annoyed with how Ozzie would use 4 pitchers in an inning during the season.  However, Ozzie didn't do that tonight, and made the Red Sox beat our best closer (with Hermanson's bad back).  Good job Ozzie :cheers

:uhoh :uhoh

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
I've been bashing him all season, but I LOVED that he kept Jenks in for the 8th and 9th.  Jenks didn't even have close to his best stuff, yet he still was able to make tough pitches.  A lot of us got annoyed with how Ozzie would use 4 pitchers in an inning during the season.  However, Ozzie didn't do that tonight, and made the Red Sox beat our best closer (with Hermanson's bad back).  Good job Ozzie :cheers

Fathom:

Did you hear what Harold Reynolds said about Ozzie? Reynolds said that Ozzie was pretty smart of bringing Jenks to face Manny-Power against power. Ozzie knew that once Manny is done, the White Sox would have a chance to win the game since Ortiz has already batted before Manny.

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

QUOTE(S720 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
Fathom:

Did you hear what Harold Reynolds said about Ozzie?  Reynolds said that Ozzie was pretty smart of bringing Jenks to face Manny-Power against power.  Ozzie knew that once Manny is done, the White Sox would have a chance to win the game since Ortiz has already batted before Manny.

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

No, I didn't hear him say that. I liked Jenks facing Manny because he made him look foolish last time he faced him. Honestly, Graffy scared me the most vs Jenks because of three things:

1) trying to make up for the error

2) hit a long homer last time up vs Jenks

3) short, compact swing

Wow. For a guy that has been ripping him all season, I'm glad to see you make this post. Well done.

Although I, for one, was completely against the move when he was brought back out in the 9th. But now. Wow. Jenks really proved to me he could be a stud closer all next year. K-Rod-esque.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)

:headbang :headbang :headbang

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
unbelievable, ozzie hasnt proved to you yet that he's a great manager?  Jeez, what else does it take?

I guess a world series victory?

Timo Perez was the leadoff hitter the majority of the time while Podsednik was on the DL.

'Nuff said.

...but yes, a World Series victory would be nice. Hell, a World Series appearance would be nice.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
Timo Perez was the leadoff hitter the majority of the time while Podsednik was on the DL.

'Nuff said.

...but yes, a World Series victory would be nice.  Hell, a World Series appearance would be nice.

World series win = smiles + ozzie leaving = more smiles and hopefully that means pinella.

Leaving Jenks in for 2 innings was the best move of the game. After overmanaging a bit this season with lefty/righty matchups, Ozzie made the Red Sox hit our "best stuff" reliever and it worked out. Also, with a day off tomorrow Jenks should get enough rest to pitch on Friday. Great move by Ozzie and great post to give him props.

Edited by SSH2005

Now maybe you see why Ozzie did some of the things he did during the regular season. He wanted to see what or how people would react in different situations. When it's money, like it is now, I don't think he'll do anything too drastically stupid. At least let's hope, huh?

Now maybe you see why Ozzie did some of the things he did during the regular season.  He wanted to see what or how people would react in different situations.  When it's money, like it is now, I don't think he'll do anything too drastically stupid.  At least let's hope, huh?

There's plenty of time left to pitch Marte though. :ph34r: :lol:

Ozzie is all about defining roles and giving his players confidence to finish and support & divert attention away from players that struggle. HE MUST GET MAJOR KUDOS for developing this managerial pyschology. remember Jerry Manuel? taking pitchers out to protect em? kicking dirt on the umpire when we were either 9 runs ahead or behind? sitting in the dugout when he needed to charge out? he had no clue on the pysch part of managing. KW & OZZIE have proven themselves to me to be TRUE whitesox!