Sox @ Angels - ALCS Game 3

Heads22

QUOTE(Reddy @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
you're not worried about Lackey and his "i can limit the yanks to under 5 runs in two starts"?

i kinda am

Lackey = a person who Lacks something otherwise termed a lackey lacker or slacker. A Lackey always gets shillackeyed or shillaylayed. the yanks never figured this out. i didnt go to grad school for nothing ya know.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)
Lackey = a person who Lacks something otherwise termed a lackey lacker or slacker.  A Lackey always gets shillackeyed or shillaylayed.  the yanks never figured this out.  i didnt go to grad school for nothing ya know.

Lackey shut us down last time he pitched against us in Chicago. Of course, it didn't help he had a three run lead to work with out of the chute. We had some chances against him but didn't get the job done. I hope the bats return to ALDS form and we can get a series lead on these guys. :gosox1:

I think the White Sox have the biggest statement to make tonight. They have had to sit and listen for two days to the national media b**** about how the White Sox stole that game from the Angels (nevermind the execution that came after that play vital to winning the game), and I think they want to make sure that they win the rest of these games to make sure there is no taint on the Sox victory. They want to be able to say clearly that they deserve this and no umpire gave it to them.

I think the first inning will tell the tale for the Sox. If they make some noise it will be good, if not I think they fall back to the offensive crap we are used to.

Pods and Dye need to do something. I hope Dye is hitting 7th, with Carl hitting 3rd. Can't believe I said this but I think Carl needs to be moved back up.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 07:59 AM)
I think the first inning will tell the tale for the Sox.  If they make some noise it will be good, if not I think they fall back to the offensive crap we are used to.

Pods and Dye need to do something.  I hope Dye is hitting 7th, with Carl hitting 3rd.  Can't believe I said this but I think Carl needs to be moved back up.

Can we give this a rest? Carl has been our worst hitter in the playoffs (.211/.250/.211). I honestly wouldn't mind if Ozzie gave Timo a start.

The key to the game offensively is to make Lackey throw strikes. Plate discipline is not our best feature. We need to make him throw strikes and not to do too much with his pitches. If we can tire him a bit maybe that curve will hang a bit and we can exploit it. We are away from home, so the golf swing homer shots should slow down a bit. It seems the minute we get home our approach changes. This is why we are a better road team.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
The key to the game offensively is to make Lackey throw strikes.  Plate discipline is not our best feature.  We need to make him throw strikes and not to do too much with his pitches.  If we can tire him a bit maybe that curve will hang a bit and we can exploit it.  We are away from home, so the golf swing homer shots should slow down a bit.  It seems the minute we get home our approach changes. This is why we are a better road team.

Lay off his curveball with two strikes is my biggest key. The game Lackey just pitched against the yankees he honestly threw about 90 percent breaking balls with two strikes, if our guys can lay off that pitch we should be in good shape.

There are two sides to every story, and the 2005 Chicago White Sox are no different. This team has played flat this series, and to be honest, umpires aside, didn't deserve to win either game one or two. Yes, Contreras pitched lights out, as did Buehrle. It still remains this team made countless mental mistakes, and most of all looked embarrassing up at the plate.

The last three innings Wednesday night Podsednik k'ed, Iguchi k'ed, Dye was down 0-2 and singled, Konerko k'ed, Everett k'ed, Pierzynski k'ed. Every batter swung at the first pitch in the last three innings last night except Crede on the game winner. Also, every batter was down 0-2 at one point or another, Crede included.

The White Sox need to start picking there battles, take some pitches, and look like ballplayers up at the plate.

With all that being said, the series is tied at one, and if the White Sox play as they did against Cleveland and Boston, all is well in White Sox land.

Lets go White Sox.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 07:54 AM)
Lay off his curveball with two strikes is my biggest key.  The game Lackey just pitched against the yankees he honestly threw about 90 percent breaking balls with two strikes, if our guys can lay off that pitch we should be in good shape.

If he has scouted the Sox properly, that's exactly what Sox hitters are going to see tonight, 2 strike breaking balls low and away. It seems like every single hitter this year chases that pitch for strike 3. I think we're gonna need a big game out of Jon Garland and to scratch across a couple runs. Lackey is really the only starter on the Anaheim ALCS roster that scares me, winning this game would be a huge boost to our WS chances.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 07:11 AM)
There are two sides to every story, and the 2005 Chicago White Sox are no different. This team has played flat this series, and to be honest, umpires aside, didn't deserve to win either game one or two. Yes, Contreras pitched lights out, as did Buehrle. It still remains this team made countless mental mistakes, and most of all looked embarrassing up at the plate.

So what can we say about the Angels approach at the plate, if they managed only a handful of hits off of Mark, and probably only won game 1 because of Jose choosing to go to 2nd instead of throwing home?

Like you said, 2 sides to every story.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 06:22 AM)
You would have to think that would be on the minds of the Sox, as well it should.

My key to the game, and for that matter the rest of them, is to only make outs at the plate. These guys cant keep getting thrown out tagging but, making dumb plays, getting thrown out stealing, ect. ect. There is a difference between being aggressive and being stupid. Capitalize on opportunity given.

You know, it's funny. I agree Rowand (Cora) and Crede should have been smarter. But, if the 3B bobbles that ball for a split second or his throw home is just a little wide then everyone is praising the Sox for their aggressiveness on the bases. ARow was out by a hair. Same for Crede. When we played the Angels in Sept and Vlad made that unconventional play to score from second, everyone praised him. If Gooch's throw was on the money, Vlad would have been called an idiot for killing the rally.

But, you're right, the stupid play has to stop and for some reason I think it will. My concern is Garland, based on his last outing against the Angels, his rustiness, and nerves pitching on the road in his first playoff game. I'd take this line from the game in May we lost to the rookie Santana:

MAY 23 @ANA 7.0 IP 11H 3R 3ER 0HR 1BB 4K

:bringit

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
Can we give this a rest? Carl has been our worst hitter in the playoffs (.211/.250/.211). I honestly wouldn't mind if Ozzie gave Timo a start.

Not against Lackey. Crazy Carl has hit Lackey extremely well. Meanwhile, Timo is 1-7 off of Lackey.

Of all the starters, I have the least confidence in Garland. Especially since he hasn't pitched in nearly two weeks. Hopefully all that stuff about his sinker not working when he's strong is a bunch of fluff.

Lackey is also a good pitcher and if our offense has scored only 4 runs in two games, it may be hard to score some more in this game.

Going up 2-1 with Freddy tomorrow would be HUGE.

Also, anytime Jermaine Dye would like to show up for the post-season, that would be great.

That being said, :gosox1:

Oh and BTW, I've heard just about enough of this dropped 3rd strike bulls***. I just can't wait for the game to start tonight so we can't just move on.

Edited by robinventura23