Location, location, location

southsider2k5

Three moments defining me being a Sox fan.

About 7 years old watching the Sox on a little B&W TV, trying to pull in the game through all the "snow" on the screen.

Two; playing traveling ball and everyone was a Cub fan. I had to be different.

Third moment: 1977 Southside Hit Men. 16 years old. Driver's License. I would say this was when I really became a fan.

My early games were all at Wrigley and I still think walking up the ramps into the sushine, seeing the Veeck planted ivy, and seeing the players, is something special. I hope they never tear down the shrine to failure.

Presently living in Northern Mexico / South Texas. Sometimes I can't tell which.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
I refuse to put my marker on my house. Too many people around here who might want me out of the picture.  :angry:

I know where you live and I've seen where you sleep and I swear to everything holy that your parents will cry when they see what I've done to you!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
I refuse to put my marker on my house. Too many people around here who might want me out of the picture.  :angry:

Don't worry...Mike Caruso's got your back. Than again if he fights anything like he hit, your gonna be in trouble :P

I keep getting a server error and can't get to the map.

For now......

Originally from Evansville, IN

Also lived briefly in New Castle, IN (what a crappy, dead town!)

Currently just south of Birmingham, AL. I've been here for the past 9 years.

Now time for a confession....

The first WS I can recall is the 1975 series between the Reds and Red Sox. I was a huge Big Red Machine fan. Unfortunately, after the 1976 WS, they began to break up the Big Red Machine, beginning with getting rid of Tony Perez.

My frustration with the Reds coincided with the advent of cable TV in Evansville. I began to watch Milo Hamilton and Jack Brickhouse broadcast Cubs games daily and became a huge Cubs fan. I remained a Cubs fan for many, many years. I was diehard enough that my parents wrote a note to get me out of school early so I could watch the 1984 playoffs.

I moved here to Birmingham in January 1997. My association with the Sox began through the Barons, the Sox AA affiliate. Coincidentally, my first apartment in Birmingham didn't carry WGN (remember when they had a pissing fight with some cable companies?) so I didn't get to see the Cubs play very much either.

As I got to know the Barons players and got to see them move on to Chicago and play in the bigs, my allegiance toward the Sox began to strengthen. About 6-7 years ago was the first time I found myself rooting for the Sox over the Cubs and I knew at that point I had made the transformation. While I still have a soft spot for the Cubs (I know, some of you will never understand it), the gap has widened enormously the past several years. I feel fortunate to have met and even hung out with some of the current Sox players, as well as others around the bigs.

I have been a Sox fan first and foremost for at least the past 5 years and am having a blast. This and another message board I frequent has helped cement the Sox in the place for me.

I know I don't have the history with the Sox that many do here, but I am loving every bit of this nonetheless. I want to go watch the game in a bar somewhere Saturday night amongst an exciting atmosphere, but unfortunately, there will not be a bar in this city that will have the game on with sound. It happens to be at the same time as the LSU-Auburn football game and in the South, football will always come first.

Go Sox and if I have stones coming for my Cub history, go ahead and heave away.

:gosox3: :cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't get the map to work. But...

Currently living in Austin, TX.

Born in Skokie, IL.

First game was a Cubs doubleheader in 1978 or 1979 against...ironically, the Astros.

But, my grandfather is a Sox fan and most of my friends growing up were Sox fans. Yes, even in Skokie. But, I liked both the Sox and Cubs until 1983. The Winning Ugly Sox won me over.