Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
Normally it takes 2-3 years after the event like Illinois had last year for the recruiting edge to kick in. Players 13-14-15 etc became fans of the Illini last year and it should pay off in future classes, most likely the 07 class, which is loaded.

On Insiders, the Illini have interest from 20  4 star players or above in the 07 class.

I don't think there's any denying though that Weber could stand to improve on his recruiting. He's got a great year to build off of, and has the Illini in the national spotlight, he now just have to find a great recruiter that he can put on staff, like Roy Williams has with Steve Robinson, or Coach K has with Johnny Dawkins, or like Rick Barnes has with Benjamin Franklins ;-)

agree totally.

i'm not saying weber doesn't have work to do. he clearly does. this isn't southern illinois anymore. that said, kill me for having faith that he will do better.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
agree totally.

i'm not saying weber doesn't have work to do. he clearly does. this isn't southern illinois anymore. that said, kill me for having faith that he will do better.

Hey faith is what it is. I still think he will have his best performance with someone elses recruits, and his next years here will constantly be trying to reach that pinnacle again, with his own players.

I just hope Thad can beat him again this year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
Hey faith is what it is.  I still think he will have his best performance with someone elses recruits, and his next years here will constantly be trying to reach that pinnacle again, with his own players.

he should. they will be good. losing f-c and stockman is addition by subtraction and dials will be hands-down the best big man in the league provided his back holds up.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
Hey faith is what it is.  I still think he will have his best performance with someone elses recruits, and his next years here will constantly be trying to reach that pinnacle again, with his own players.

I'm sick of repeating myself, but Self wouldn't have coached this team to a 2nd place finish in the tournament, nor a 37-2 record. Period. His players or not, he COACHED them to all those accomplishments.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
I'm sick of repeating myself, but Self wouldn't have coached this team to a 2nd place finish in the tournament, nor a 37-2 record. Period. His players or not, he COACHED them to all those accomplishments.

No one is debating he coached this group of players to excellence. The question is whether or not he can recruit the level of players they had last season on his own. So far, he's been missing on a lot of his top targets. Carlwell has been his best get, and some of the guys he's been getting are because other programs simply ran away from the players before they could commit to their school (Semrau with WF and others, Charles Jackson with Ga Tech).

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)

Dude, Weber is a MUCH better coach than Self, but he just cant recruit like Self can. Bill Self is good in the living room, bad on the floor.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...575/1004/SPORTS

Bassett headed to IU

By Terry Hutchens

Erase Armon Bassett's name from the list of talented in-state players who got away.

Bassett, who orally committed to Missouri during the summer, has changed his mind and decided to attend Indiana. The 6-1 point guard is ranked No. 103 in the nation by rivals.com.

He gave IU coach Mike Davis an oral commitment after attending Hoosier Hysteria last Friday.

Bassett, a former Terre Haute South standout and Indiana All-Star, is the second member of IU's class of 2006, along with former Arlington standout Deonta Vaughn. Both players are spending this year in prep school. Bassett is at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., and Vaughn at Harmony Prep in Cincinnati.

IU fans have criticized Davis for his inability to sign in-state stars such as Greg Oden, Josh McRoberts and Luke Zeller.

"I think it's a great fit," Terre Haute South coach Mike Saylor said. "I think Indiana is a dream school. Nothing against any of the other institutions, but high school players in this state still grow up dreaming to play at Indiana. I know Armon is very excited, and I think he'll do very well in that program.

"He's athletic, extremely versatile and he has a very high basketball IQ.''

Point guard was one of the positions Davis needed to address with this class. Lewis Monroe, the transfer from Auburn, and Marshall Strickland are seniors. Junior college transfer Earl Calloway will have one year of eligibility remaining after this season.

Bassett averaged 22.0 points and 6.1 assists as a high school senior.

Good lord, I didn't realize how loaded the Maui Invitational is this year. Yes, one of the teams is Chaminade as always, but the other 7 are Arkansas, Arizona, Connecticut, Gonzaga, Kansas, Maryland, and Michigan State. That should make for some exciting matchups. Whichever team comes out of that alive is probably going to have a huge year.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
Good lord, I didn't realize how loaded the Maui Invitational is this year. Yes, one of the teams is Chaminade as always, but the other 7 are Arkansas, Arizona, Connecticut, Gonzaga, Kansas, Maryland, and Michigan State. That should make for some exciting matchups. Whichever team comes out of that alive is probably going to have a huge year.

DePaul will be there next year. :)

SIU picked to finish 3rd in the MVC behind Northern Iowa and Creighton.

They were picked to finish almost last last year and we know what went down.

Jamal Tatum named to preseason all conference team.

http://iuhoosiers.collegesports.com/sports.../102505aab.html

Indiana Named as One of the Top 10 Powerhouse Programs by ESPN

Oct. 25, 2005

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The Indiana men's basketball team has been named one of college basketball's "Powerhouse Programs" by ESPN. A total of 10 programs will be highlighted during the Honor Roll series, airing Tuesday, Oct. 25 at 9 p.m. on ESPNU. IU is one of just seven Division I men's teams. The others are Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina and UCLA. The Connecticut and Tennessee women's programs, along with Division II Kentucky Wesleyan round out the 10-program list.

"This is a terrific honor for those who have helped the Indiana basketball program throughout the years," Indiana head coach Mike Davis said. "This is a credit to the players and coaches of the past, as well as the IU fans and students. We are honored to be a part of such a storied history at Indiana, and we appreciate the recognition ESPN has given the IU basketball program."

This is the fourth week in ESPNU's five-week Honor Roll series, the first original series in the network's history. Other programs in the series have included Greatest Games, Greatest Coaches, Greatest Players, Greatest Teams, Best Venues, Fiercest Rivalries, Big Time Characters, Clutch Performances and Stories of Significance. After each show, ESPNU's signature anchor Mike Hall is joined by college basketball analysts Steve Lavin and Rick Majerus to debate the Top 10 list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2206350

Blue Devils receive 28 of 31 first-place votes

ESPN.com news services

Take four returning senior starters from a 27-win team. Add a bunch of big-time freshmen. What do you get? The nation's No. 1 team.

That talented mix of experience and youth has carried Duke to the top spot in the preseason ESPN/USA Today Coaches' poll. The Blue Devils (27-6 last season), returning All-Americans J.J. Redick and Shelden Williams, received 28 of a possible 31 first-place votes and 767 points, easily pushing them past Connecticut, which landed at No. 2 despite not receiving a first-place vote and still dealing with the ongoing suspensions of point guards Marcus Williams and A.J. Price.

Big 12 co-favorite Texas (two first-place votes) is a close third, followed by Villanova (one first-place vote), which recently lost senior Curtis Sumpter to a knee injury, and Big Ten preseason pick Michigan State, fresh off last season's Final Four appearance.

Texas' Red River rival, Oklahoma, is sixth, with Gonzaga, Louisville, Arizona and Kentucky rounding out the top 10.

Behind Craig Smith and Jared Dudley, ACC newcomer Boston College is 11th, followed by Conference USA favorite Memphis, Stanford, Alabama and West Virginia, which fell just short of last season's Final Four and returns sharpshooting big man Kevin Pittsnogle.

Gerry McNamara and Syracuse are 16th, followed by last year's finalist, Illinois, then UCLA and Wake Forest (tied for 18th) and Iowa at No. 20.

The final five include Maryland, Indiana, Iowa State, George Washington and Nevada. Defending national champion North Carolina, having lost its top seven scorers from last season, received 34 points, putting them in a tie for 35th.