Illinois State Students

RX Bandits

Whats so unbelieveable about this?

A sports team wins a title: ISU people riot, burn down the 'campus and steal school supplies.

Some guy gets kicked out of an off-campus bar: ISU people riot, burn down the 'campus and steal school supplies.

Student Council leader who preached non-rioting to his people gets laughed at: ISU People riot,burn down the 'campus and steal school supplies.

Notice a pattern here?

Maybe if certain segments of the ISU community had a shred of civility or a small sense of community, groups like the PTA wouldn't have any credibility at all.

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
The mini riot last night was awesome! I got some pictures any ISU students have some pictures as well?

Rumor is that there was damage to Hancock Stadium and Redbird Arena, is any of that true?? I have sources at ISU and said there was no damage reports filed!!

I've been in more than one college town "riot", once in the law enforcement role.

I find nothing amusing or "awesome" about it. A bunch of college kids burning and breaking things because a sports team won something? Yeah, that's cool. Destroy other people's property to make your enjoyment more complete. And hurt some people while you're at it.

A twenty-something kid died in one of the crowd control incidents I responded to.

Grow up. I hope all the instigators were arrested, and I hope the process was painful.

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/101805/n...051018038.shtml

College students have a good time savoring victory

By Brett Nauman

bnauman@pantagraph.com

NORMAL -- Chanting "Let's go White Sox," hundreds of rowdy Illinois State University students spilled onto campus late Sunday night and early Monday morning to revel in the team's first World Series appearance in 46 years.

Students gathered on the campus's quad and blocked traffic as they migrated to Hancock Stadium, at one point shaking the football field's goalposts, in a celebration that was wild, yet peaceful, said ISU Police Chief Ronald Swan.

"It was pretty crazy," said Tom Hillstrom, a lifelong Sox fan who left his Manchester Hall dorm room and joined an excited crowd of students that police said swelled to 800 at its peak.

Swan said police officers were ready for the spontaneous event. Although no one was injured and no property was damaged, officers could have a similar celebration to monitor in the next two weeks if the Sox can pull out a World Series victory.

"It's safe to assume it wouldn't be a smaller crowd," Swan said. "You always have to be prepared for the worst case scenario. We did that and everyone was able to express their joy over the success of the White Sox. It was a good night."

Swan said off-duty ISU police officers worked Sunday night in anticipation of the Sox win and officers from both Bloomington and Normal assisted with the crowd. Seeing the officers on campus calmed the boisterous crowd, Swan said.

The White Sox haven't won the World Series since 1917 and haven't been there since 1959. Many ISU students living on-campus emerged from their dorm rooms shortly after the team won the American League Championship Series against the Anaheim Angels Sunday night.

Nicole Valentino, a freshman who describes herself as a passive baseball fan, said she heard the students screaming about the Sox and occasionally chanting "Cubs Suck" from her 15th floor dorm room.

"I went out there with three of my friends. I was in my slippers. It was fun," said Valentino, adding the only hint of trouble occurred when a group of students tipped over a port-a-potty. "It smelled pretty bad," she said.

Mike Hart, a die-hard Cubs fan from McHenry, said there were a few loyal Sox fans in the crowd, but most were just out there for the party. Some friends even tried to convince him to join the celebration.

"One of my friends called me and said 'you got to come out here,'" Hart said. "I said 'you're not even a Sox fan. She said 'I know, but this is fun.'" Hart said he told the friend he had better things to do.

I made this post right after so I had some "juices flowing." No, it was not a riot, rather a mob. But I had a hell of a time. My pictures kind of suck but thres the link:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lucky_boys420/my_photos

People "rushed" Handcock stadium but as far as I could see there was nothing that significant.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 09:26 AM)
Rumor is that there was damage to Hancock Stadium and Redbird Arena, is any of that true??  I have sources at ISU and said there was no damage reports filed!!

i work for the vidette sports department and there is no damage done. the crowd was crazy, but they didnt get out of control. it was all in good fun. :D :cheers :gosox1: