How much extra revenue???

Greg Hibbard

Anyone have an idea of how much extra revenue the White Sox will generate with this Postseason windfall, in terms of ticket sales, concessions, and especially merch sales? I read a ballpark figure in the trib last week that said that they stand to make an additional 15-20 million if they make the World Series, but I think there's SO MUCH MERCH being bought right now that the figure MUST be higher.

How high could the payroll be next year? Is the 100 million mark a possibility, or is it something more along the lines of 80-90 million?

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Anyone have an idea of how much extra revenue the White Sox will generate with this Postseason windfall, in terms of ticket sales, concessions, and especially merch sales? I read a ballpark figure in the trib last week that said that they stand to make an additional 15-20 million if they make the World Series, but I think there's SO MUCH MERCH being bought right now that the figure MUST be higher.

How high could the payroll be next year? Is the 100 million mark a possibility, or is it something more along the lines of 80-90 million?

My guess is they will go with about 80-90. We factor in pay raises to key players and maybe add a player or two.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)

I have been the high estimate all along, so why stop now. $90 million minimum. I really think $100 million is possible if KW can find the right trading partners. I really get the feeling that Konerko will be resigned, and we will go out and find a high OBP #3 hitter to get on in front of him. We are in an excellent position for the offseason because we can take on salaries, which means we should be able to give up less in players and prospects too. I hate to look past the World Series, but I am really excited about this off season.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
I have been the high estimate all along, so why stop now.  $90 million minimum.  I really think $100 million is possible if KW can find the right trading partners.  I really get the feeling that Konerko will be resigned, and we will go out and find a high OBP #3 hitter to get on in front of him.  We are in an excellent position for the offseason because we can take on salaries, which means we should be able to give up less in players and prospects too.  I hate to look past the World Series, but I am really excited about this off season.

Put down the pipe.. :lolhitting

I was wondering about the contract with US Cellular, maybe Steff would know the answer to this. I know the money they made from the naming rights contract was invested into improving the stadium. With the completion of the FUNdamentals deck, are the improvements completed? Will the contract revenues then be added to Payroll? Thanks.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
I was wondering about the contract with US Cellular, maybe Steff would know the answer to this.  I know the money they made from the naming rights contract was invested into improving the stadium.  With the completion of the FUNdamentals deck, are the improvements completed?  Will the contract revenues then be added to Payroll?  Thanks.

From rumors, they are not done - beyond the seats.

What do you mean by "contract revenues"...??

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
I was wondering about the contract with US Cellular, maybe Steff would know the answer to this.  I know the money they made from the naming rights contract was invested into improving the stadium.  With the completion of the FUNdamentals deck, are the improvements completed?  Will the contract revenues then be added to Payroll?  Thanks.

If I think I know what you're asking...the money made from the US Cellular deal has nothing to do with payroll. That money goes to the park and its renovations, additions, etc.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
From rumors, they are not done - beyond the seats.

What do you mean by "contract revenues"...??

i will guess he means revenue from the u.s. cellular contract.

and what rumors do you speak of? :D

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
If I think I know what you're asking...the money made from the US Cellular deal has nothing to do with payroll.  That money goes to the park and its renovations, additions, etc.

Yea.. if that's what you mean Addy is right. The US Cell $$ can not be used for anything but the park.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
My guess is they will go with about 80-90. We factor in pay raises to key players and maybe add a player or two.

My guess is the middle of that range - $85 million.

Key raises (Click Here) are Buehrle up $2 million, El Duque up $1 million, Freddy up $1 million, Rowand up $1.25 million, Dye up $1 million, Hermanson up $1 million, Marte up $1 million, Podsednik up $1.5 million, Uribe up $1 million. Contreras also gets a $1 million raise, but I'm not sure the Yankees don't pay that.

Figure Garland to go up $2 million in arbitration, Crede up $1 million or so. AJ stands to make $2 million more as well.

There are others I believe are eligible for arbitration, but no-one too critical (Willie Harris might be in line, etc.)

Total contractual raises = $11.75 million

Total arbitration raises = $5 million

Coming off the payroll:

Frank Thomas ($8 million) ($3.5 million buyout)

Carl Everett ($4 million) ($0.5 million buyout)

Ben Davis ($1 million)

Timo Perez ($1 million)

Shingo Takatsu ($2.5 million)

Kevin Walker ($0.5 million)

Total coming off payroll = $17 million (less $14 million buyout).

Net change in payroll = -$0.25 million (less $4.0 million buyout), assuming no trade of El Duque ($5.0 million in 2006) or of any other starter to make was for Brandon McCarthy.

Now, if the Sox resign Paulie at $11 million per (a $2.75 million raise), they would still have about $7.5 million to spend to get up to $85 million. If they trade El Duque, it's $12.5 million.

$7.5 million is probably enough to get one high-profile free agent. You'd like to think the Sox could pick up a left handed power bat to fill the DH spot with that money, but it's not clear anyone of high quality will be on the market in that price range (every one would love Giles). It's not clear that you could get the Phillies to take so much of Thome's contract to leave the Sox with just $7.5 million - and he's an awful risk at $7.5 million with his back anyway.

It's also possible the Sox sign AJ and Garland to longer-term contracts for which they would want to set aside money now.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
Put down the pipe..  :lolhitting

We got a ten million dollar jump in payroll from 2004 to 2005 with a flat attendance number. This year we drew 400,000 more fans, had a 20% increase in ticket prices, an increase in all concession prices and parking, 3 rounds of the playoffs, a new more profitable TV contract, a big bounce in merchandise sales, not to mention our share of the profits from the sale of the Washington Nationals. Plus you are going to see a HUGE jump in season ticket sales for 2006.

I don't think I am that crazy.

The top figure is definately predicated on Kenny finding someone who is looking to dump some salaries. The free agent market isn't really there, but there is always a market for salary dumps.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
We got a ten million dollar jump in payroll from 2004 to 2005 with a flat attendance number.  This year we drew 400,000 more fans, had a 20% increase in ticket prices, an increase in all concession prices and parking, 3 rounds of the playoffs, a new more profitable TV contract, a big bounce in merchandise sales, not to mention our share of the profits from the sale of the Washington Nationals.  Plus you are going to see a HUGE jump in season ticket sales for 2006. 

The more profitable TV contract was the reason for the salary bump from '04 to '05. Remember, the Sox bumped up salaries by $15 million (from $59 to $74) this year.

The 400,000 more fans are worth probably $10 million more, which is why I suspect that $85 million will be the target.

Remember, the Sox also lose $1.5 million in radio $$ next year from the WSCR deal.

And the profit from the Nationals sale is a one-time revenue thing. It'll be $450 m (sale price) - $120 m (purchase price) - $40 m in operating losses, or a profit of about $290 m, divided by 29 clubs = $10 million. I doubt that will go directly into additional players, since the $10 million will not come back...although you could sign someone to a 4-year $10 million deal, I guess.

Remember, also, that the Nationals sale money is going to be floating around all of MLB, and if the teams spend that money, this offseason could be nuts, especially considering the available talent.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
If I think I know what you're asking...the money made from the US Cellular deal has nothing to do with payroll.  That money goes to the park and its renovations, additions, etc.

Yeah, but how much extra revenue have those renovations enabled us to bring in? Think about the scout seats...those have to bring in a fortune. The naming rights to the "Pontiac" fundamentals area, additional ticket sales from a nicer park, etc. That has to help a lot too.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
My guess is the middle of that range - $85 million.

Key raises (Click Here) are Buehrle up $2 million, El Duque up $1 million, Freddy up $1 million, Rowand up $1.25 million, Dye up $1 million, Hermanson up $1 million, Marte up $1 million, Podsednik up $1.5 million, Uribe up $1 million.  Contreras also gets a $1 million raise, but I'm not sure the Yankees don't pay that.

Figure Garland to go up $2 million in arbitration, Crede up $1 million or so.  AJ stands to make $2 million more as well.

There are others I believe are eligible for arbitration, but no-one too critical (Willie Harris might be in line, etc.)

Total contractual raises = $11.75 million

Total arbitration raises = $5 million

Coming off the payroll:

Frank Thomas ($8 million) ($3.5 million buyout)

Carl Everett ($4 million) ($0.5 million buyout)

Ben Davis ($1 million)

Timo Perez ($1 million)

Shingo Takatsu ($2.5 million)

Kevin Walker ($0.5 million)

Total coming off payroll = $17 million (less $14 million buyout).

Net change in payroll = -$0.25 million (less $4.0 million buyout), assuming no trade of El Duque ($5.0 million in 2006) or of any other starter to make was for Brandon McCarthy.

Now, if the Sox resign Paulie at $11 million per (a $2.75 million raise), they would still have about $7.5 million to spend to get up to $85 million.  If they trade El Duque, it's $12.5 million.

$7.5 million is probably enough to get one high-profile free agent.  You'd like to think the Sox could pick up a left handed power bat to fill the DH spot with that money, but it's not clear anyone of high quality will be on the market in that price range (every one would love Giles).  It's not clear that you could get the Phillies to take so much of Thome's contract to leave the Sox with just $7.5 million - and he's an awful risk at $7.5 million with his back anyway.

It's also possible the Sox sign AJ and Garland to longer-term contracts for which they would want to set aside money now.

You didn't subract Paul's $8.75M current contract, but you added in approx. $11M for next year. Your math is still off.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Remember, also, that the Nationals sale money is going to be floating around all of MLB, and if the teams spend that money, this offseason could be nuts, especially considering the available talent.

Which is why we need to sit Konerko down the second this season ends...ask him what he wants, and as long as he's not asking to be ARod, pay it.

Get him off the market and do the rest of our damage in the form of trades and callups.

QUOTE(Mickster @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
You didn't subract Paul's $8.75M current contract, but you added in approx. $11M for next year.  Your math is still off.

He left it there and added 2.75 million to next years amount - estimating that he'll be signed for $11 mil next year.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
He left it there and added 2.75 million to next years amount - estimating that he'll be signed for $11 mil next year.

And thats exactly what I would offer Konerko 2... anything more than that he is really taking up 2 much payroll and we could use the money on other players.

QUOTE(Mickster @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
You didn't subract Paul's $8.75M current contract, but you added in approx. $11M for next year.  Your math is still off.

Um, no. I assume that Paulie goes from $8.75 to $11 m . That's a net $2.25 million increase. You can subtract the $8.75 m and then add $11 million, but you don't get a different answer.

Nice job working the numbers, but I don't think Paulie gets anything less than 5 years/65 million (13 million per) with back to back 40 hr season and an ALCS MVP on his resume

Ok, Sexson got an average of $12.5 million/year, so maybe $13 million is right.

I think $13 million is a bit pricy for Paulie, though, as much as I love him.