Thomas is feeling a part of the fun

greasywheels121

I feel it is my duty to post anything and everything concerning Big Frank. :D

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox18.html

Thomas is feeling a part of the fun

BY DOUG PADILLA

Despite being out of action, Frank Thomas has been to more champagne celebrations in the last three weeks than he experienced in his previous 15 seasons, and he's becoming a veteran at it.

When the White Sox clinched the Central Division title Sept. 29 in Detroit, the franchise leader in home runs, RBI and runs wasn't present for the clubhouse bash. So he flew from Chicago to Cleveland, the site of the team's next series, and ambushed the team bus as it arrived at the hotel, getting into the mix with 20 bottles of $200 bubbly.

Thomas, who experienced two previous division-title-clinching parties in 1993 and 2000, was on hand in Boston on Oct. 6 when the Sox clinched the American League Division Series, reveling with a plastic bag covering the cast on his left foot and wearing a makeshift plastic rain slicker to protect his clothes.

On Sunday in Anaheim, caution took a back seat to unbridled joy. Thomas was without the rain slicker and even let the cast in his walking boot absorb the elements. Thomas was feeling too good to care.

''I'm not playing, but I'm just happy to be a part of this clubhouse and a part of these guys,'' Thomas said Sunday night as he worked the cork off a fresh bottle of champagne and searched the room for his next victim. ''It takes a lot to get to this level, especially with a team that nobody gave a chance to win it all this year. They have a chance to do that now.''

What has helped Thomas feel a part of the team's magical ride is that he was able to contribute this season, no matter how limited his role. Thomas recovered from offseason ankle surgery to play in 34 games before going on the shelf with another ankle injury in the same area as the first. In his brief stint, Thomas batted only .219 but hit 12 home runs with 26 RBI and had 16 walks in 105 at-bats.

''I'm very happy, and I feel a part of this clubhouse,'' Thomas said. ''I feel like I'm playing right now. I'm here interacting night in and night out with these guys, and I know what they're going through. I'm just happy these guys stuck together and proved everybody wrong.''

There was a report early in the postseason that said some Sox players didn't care if Thomas was around to celebrate. But Thomas hasn't seen that negative side. He says the lack of negative energy is exactly what got the team to their first World Series since 1959.

Thomas could see his Sox career come to an end this offseason if the team activates a $3.5 million contract buyout, as expected, so seeing the Sox win it all while he at least is part of the organization would be rewarding.

''That's what's amazing about this whole team is that nobody gave this team a chance,'' Thomas said. ''These guys came together like no other team I've seen come together. These guys are real friends, and they came together and played together, and it's been a special season.''

For the most part, everything about the Sox' success is rewarding for Thomas, although it still pains him that he's unable to contribute to the playoff run. There's more than just a part of him that wishes he could step into the batter's box when the World Series begins Saturday night at U.S. Cellular Field.

''Does any part wish I was out there?'' Thomas said, repeating a question. ''All of it, brother. I can't lie to you. I miss it so much right now, but I have to be here in spirit and keep pulling for my team.''

Odds of Thomas getting to experience a fourth celebration seem to be possible, at least when hearing AL Championship Series MVP Paul Konerko tell it. Konerko has taken over from Thomas as the face of the organization, and he likes the team's chances to win it all.

''There is one more stage,'' Konerko said. ''I have one more gear. Hopefully, that's in a week and a half, but there's more in the tank, and I think we're going to do it.''

I thought it was great to see Frank doing an interview and then have guys come over and shower him with the champagne....showed everyone he's a part of the team. Like Dustin's interview also....about the bullpen merely getting dressed for the celebrations. Great to see they don't care if they ever throw another pitch this year.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
Probably Greg Couch.  He has been a tool all season.  Aaron Rowand told him to shove his columns up his ass a week ago.

what's the story here? i didn't hear this.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
what's the story here? i didn't hear this.

On Thursday in Boston, Aaron Rowand was approached at his locker after our workout by Greg Couch, a columnist/reporter for the Sun-Times.  Greg inquired if he could ask the center fielder for a few comments.

According to Aaron, he never really had the chance this year to speak with Greg one-on-one (it was always in a group setting), so he took this opportunity to express his season-long displeasure with several of Greg's columns, including one from April 17 headlined, "Don't Buy What Sox are Selling."  Several other media reps in the clubhouse confirmed the content of the exchange, many with smiles on their faces.

Aaron's soliloquy to Couch ended with ... "I'll talk to every single media person in Chicago, but I won't ever talk to you."

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_th...lcome_home.html

Edited by IdaSox

On Thursday in Boston, Aaron Rowand was approached at his locker after our workout by Greg Couch, a columnist/reporter for the Sun-Times.  Greg inquired if he could ask the center fielder for a few comments.

According to Aaron, he never really had the chance this year to speak with Greg one-on-one (it was always in a group setting), so he took this opportunity to express his season-long displeasure with several of Greg's columns, including one from April 17 headlined, "Don't Buy What Sox are Selling."  Several other media reps in the clubhouse confirmed the content of the exchange, many with smiles on their faces.

Aaron's soliloquy to Couch ended with ... "I'll talk to every single media person in Chicago, but I won't ever talk to you."

PWNED