More World Series tickets

WinningUgly85

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 11:21 PM)
MLB and Ticketmaster have not always had a deal, and not all teams came on board at the same time, and from the looks of things.. some are not on board at this time - Houston, St Louis, the Cubs notably 3 (the Cubs deal is with MLB and Tickets.Com IIRC and their lovely virtual waiting rooms). I have no idea why, I don't work for them, and quite frankly I don't really care. But when people want to b****, moan, and cry about this s***.. at least b****, moan, and cry to the right people.

Or don't.

I can't wait to see some of the idiots screaming at the Sox at Soxfest. I hope Kenny tells you all to shut the hell up and sit down.

Steff, I'm not buying what you are selling this time. By your own logic there, the Sox had some control here because they took the deal with Ticketmaster. To say, that some teams have the deal and others do not, still squarely puts the choice back into the individual clubs hand.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
Steff, I'm not buying what you are selling this time.  By your own logic there, the Sox had some control here because they took the deal with Ticketmaster.  To say, that some teams have the deal and others do not, still squarely puts the choice back into the individual clubs hand.

I'm not selling anything. The Sox plain as day stated who had control when the CS tickets went on sale. Don't like it, b**** at them. I'm mearly repeating what was told to us as season ticket holders as to why we could not buy all the tickets we wanted.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
Which means that the teams had or have some influence.  My point exactly.

It would be nice to think we could blame one thing (MLB), wouldn't it?  But it's clearly not the reality.  The team had/has some responsibility as well.

When MLB tells me that because they control the tickets and the way they are sold and that I can not buy what I want because they said so... that's a good reason for me to believe them.

During the season the Sox sell me whatever I want, as many as I want, to whatever games I want.

It's crystal clear to me who controlled the post season tickets.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 03:32 AM)
When MLB tells me that because they control the tickets and the way they are sold and that I can not buy what I want because they said so... that's a good reason for me to believe them.

During the season the Sox sell me whatever I want, as many as I want, to whatever games I want.

It's crystal clear to me who controlled the post season tickets.

Steff, give it up and don't bother explaining common sense or facts to these people since they're under the delusion they're entitled to World Series tickets because they're DIE HARD Sox fans....One thing I've learned over the yrs is there's no pleasing some of our fellow Sox fans EVER! :banghead

Some people would like to know why other teams have a lottery or different system than this team, and I think that it is a very valid question.

Nobody here knows the answer.

I don't perceive it as b****ing if the Sox organization is asked this question because they obviously would be the most informed and would have the answer. I highly doubt the organization would be clueless as to why the situation is different for them. Even if the MLB makes all the decisions regarding WS ticket sales, I would imagine that an explanation would have to be given to the teams as to why they do it differenty for each situation.

The White Sox control the tickets.

The mass distribution is conducted by Ticketmaster in conjunction with the White Sox. The Sox agreeement is Ticketmaster so they can not use a competitor like Tickets.com for mass distribution.

The White Sox have to release tickets to the public (image the nightmare if all season ticket holders were allowed to buy what they wanted). This release is more smoke and mirrors than anything. They put something out there everyone thinks they have a chance but in the end, there wasn't really anyhting there.

Look at how many tickets are out there on the resale market.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 07:54 AM)
The White Sox control the tickets. 

The mass distribution is conducted by Ticketmaster in conjunction with the White Sox.  The Sox agreeement is Ticketmaster so they can not use a competitor like Tickets.com for mass distribution.

The White Sox have to release tickets to the public (image the nightmare if all season ticket holders were allowed to buy what they wanted).  This release is more smoke and mirrors than anything.  They put something out there everyone thinks they have a chance but in the end, there wasn't really anyhting there.

Look at how many tickets are out there on the resale market.

Yes.. imagine the horror if WHITE SOX FANS got to buy all the tickets they wanted.. LMAO

From the Sox on our playoff ticket "rules"...

"Due to the policies and proceedures of MLB, WHICH CONTROL ALL ASPECTS OF POSTSEASON PLAY, the White Sox must strictly inforce the following...." (goes into a song and dance of the postseson game format, game times, dates, seat pricing, avaliability, etc, etc..)

And this little gem which, thankfully, did not effect us...

"MLB requirements PROHIBIT the WS from guaranteeing season ticket holders their seats, however the WS hope to provide these locations to most ST holders..."

Why that last little rule...? Because MLB CONTROLS the tickets.

I went to several Cardinal's games this season and went thru their website to get tickets. It didn't take me to Ticketmaster to buy tickets like the Sox website does. So its possible that since the Sox have an agreement with Ticketmaster and the Cardinals do not use Ticketmster that the way postseason tickets are handled is different.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 11:21 PM)
Steff, give it up and don't bother explaining common sense or facts to these people since they're under the delusion they're entitled to World Series tickets  because they're DIE HARD Sox fans....One thing I've learned over the yrs is there's no pleasing some of our fellow Sox fans EVER! :banghead

I suppose this requires clarification: I am not under the delusion that I am entitled to anything. I am not one of the people who has pitched a fit that my status as a fan gives me the right to something. I have no right to anything in this mess.

My beef, purely, is with the ticketing procedure. And my point of fact, again, is that some teams obviously have different deals than others. Therefore, the argument that the White Sox have no control is bogus, unless they chose to give up that control at some point in a way different than other teams.

So as of now, after all this argument, no one can answer the key question: why did some teams have different deals?

That, I think, would be a good question for someone in the White Sox organization to answer.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
"Due to the policies and proceedures of MLB, WHICH CONTROL ALL ASPECTS OF POSTSEASON PLAY, the White Sox must strictly inforce the following...." (goes into a song and dance of the postseson game format, game times, dates, seat pricing, avaliability, etc, etc..)

And this little gem which, thankfully, did not effect us...

"MLB requirements PROHIBIT the WS from guaranteeing season ticket holders their seats, however the WS hope to provide these locations to most ST holders..."

Why that last little rule...? Because MLB CONTROLS the tickets.

MLB does control the tickets in the first instance. It keeps the number of tickets it needs for sponsors, rights holders, etc. and allocates them in the way they want. This is why the better the seat you have as a season ticket, the less likely that you will be to keep that ticket in the playoffs - MLB can bump you for a VIP.

Once MLB releases the tickets it does not want to the White Sox, the Sox are in control from that point on. If the Sox have a contract with Ticketmaster for the sale of tickets, they have to honor that contract. If the Astros have a different contract in place, they honor their own contract.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
MLB does control the tickets in the first instance.  It keeps the number of tickets it needs for sponsors, rights holders, etc. and allocates them in the way they want.  This is why the better the seat you have as a season ticket, the less likely that you will be to keep that ticket in the playoffs - MLB can bump you for a VIP.

Once MLB releases the tickets it does not want to the White Sox, the Sox are in control from that point on.  If the Sox have a contract with Ticketmaster for the sale of tickets, they have to honor that contract.  If the Astros have a different contract in place, they honor their own contract.

Well stated.

http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/1566561

MLB.com Plays Ball with Ticketmaster

Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM), which runs the MLB.com portal, has struck a multi-year distribution deal with online ticket-seller Ticketmaster (Quote, Chart).

The deal makes Ticketmaster the site's preferred provider for all online ticketing services, including ticket sales, printing them at home, selling other tickets in online auctions and managing season ticket accounts.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/1566561

MLB.com Plays Ball with Ticketmaster

Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM), which runs the MLB.com portal, has struck a multi-year distribution deal with online ticket-seller Ticketmaster (Quote, Chart).

The deal makes Ticketmaster the site's preferred provider for all online ticketing services, including ticket sales, printing them at home, selling other tickets in online auctions and managing season ticket accounts.

not 100% true. what about the lovely scrubs?

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)

Um... did you actually read the whole article?

First, it uses the phrase "preferred provider". That is not the same as a contractual obligation.

Second, it says nothing in there about what the details of the deal are regarding extent of control, and it still falls just fine into what Black Betsy pointed out. MLB's chunk goes through Ticketmaster, probably, as the "preferred" provider. The other tickets, well, we still don't know, do we?

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)

:banghead

Ever see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? When they are walking through catacombs in Venice, the German woman points at some drawings on the walls and asks Indy what a particular one is.

Indy says, "That's the Ark of the Covenant."

She replies, "Are you sure?"

"Pretty sure."

I'd say I'm pretty sure on this one.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)
Um... did you actually read the whole article?

First, it uses the phrase "preferred provider".  That is not the same as a contractual obligation.

Second, it says nothing in there about what the details of the deal are regarding extent of control, and it still falls just fine into what Black Betsy pointed out.  MLB's chunk goes through Ticketmaster, probably, as the "preferred" provider.  The other tickets, well, we still don't know, do we?

Ummm.. Yes, I did.

Did you read what I posted from the post season ticket agreement..? Word for word from the Sox and MLB...?

I comprehend the comments from the Sox and MLB just fine, so I know.

Where the Sox are concerned, MLB controls their postseason tickets. I don't know, care, or give a crap what other teams do, how they do it, or why they do it. It appears to me from this article that it's possibly Ticketmaster that chooses sale methods. But again.. I really don't care.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)

Ever see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?  When they are walking through catacombs in Venice, the German woman points at some drawings on the walls and asks Indy what a particular one is.

"Pretty sure."

BB I thought you had season tickets.. did you not get the playoff rules?

If you're not, disregard as continuing is pointless.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)

Ever see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?  When they are walking through catacombs in Venice, the German woman points at some drawings on the walls and asks Indy what a particular one is.

"Pretty sure."

:huh:

I think there is an insider in the house, if I am interperet this correctly.

:ph34r:

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
BB I thought you had season tickets.. did you not get the playoff rules?

If you're not, disregard as continuing is pointless.

I do not have White Sox season tickets.

However, among other events, I have been to 3 of the last 5 All Star Games and went to the 2004 World Series. I paid face price for these tickets.

Again, let me reiterate. I'm pretty sure on this one.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
I do not have White Sox season tickets.

However, among other events, I have been to 3 of the last 5 All Star Games and went to the 2004 World Series.  I paid face price for these tickets. 

Again, let me reiterate.  I'm pretty sure on this one.

As a season ticket holder I'm going to go from the info on the official releases from the Sox and MLB.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
:huh:

I think there is an insider in the house, if I am interperet this correctly.

:ph34r:

I would not say that. However, I would say that I am familiar with the process.

I think that it's important that people get this one right and understand it. There is quite a bit of anger on these boards about tickets.

The bottom line is that Steff is right that MLB initially controls all the tickets. For those that are released to the White Sox, I am confident that the White Sox did the absolute best they could consistent with their current contracts. If a team signs a contract to sell its tickets, it has to honor that contract. Remember, they did limit the purchases to 4 tickets to one game only, which cut down the odds of ticket brokers swiping up all the tickets.

I'd bet that the Sox would love to have WS tickets go only to long time, die hard Sox fans...but given that they have to sell tickets for 162 games all year, and that they only have 5 days before the WS to sell tickets to the public, I'd also bet that honoring whatever deal they have with Ticketmaster was the only choice.