manny being manny

Kyyle23

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2199067

The Red Sox did throw out the idea of a Manny Ramirez-Carlos Beltran deal in July, but it was on the weekend of the trading deadline after Ramirez had asked to be traded.

The Mets rejected the idea, and GMs Omar Minaya and Theo Epstein tried to construct two-, three-, and four-way deals -- none of which worked. "The ironic thing is that by the end of the weekend, Manny said he would not go to the Mets," says Ramirez's agent Greg Genske of Legacy Sports Group. "I know people have speculated about Pedro [Martinez] and his influence, but Manny does not want to be traded to the Mets."

And, anyway, the Red Sox say they have not offered the superstar outfielder to the Mets -- or anyone -- as of now. Genske plans to meet with Boston owner John Henry next week in Florida, and after that meeting some determination will be made on whether Ramirez will repeat his July request to be traded, or the team will see what it can get on the market, with the knowledge that as a 10-5 player, Ramirez can veto any deal.

If Ramirez does request to be traded, Genske says "his preference would be Anaheim. He also still loves Cleveland, and would go back there." Another possibility would be Arizona, if Boston would take some of the contracts the Diamondbacks are trying to move, including Troy Glaus and Luis Gonzalez. Texas was in play at the deadline.

The problem is that if the Red Sox baseball operations had their way, the only way Ramirez would be traded is if they could restock themselves with a young corner outfielder, a center fielder and pitching. Their feeling is that with so much money floating around the industry and so few quality free agents, Ramirez's contract -- three years remaining at a present-day value of slightly more than $17 million -- will not be that bad come spring training. Also, while Ramirez is unpredictable and sometimes had hustle lapses, he has played 150 or more games three straight seasons, bettered in Red Sox history by only Frank Malzone (7), Carl Yastrzemski (5), Jim Rice and Dwight Evans (4 each).

Cleveland isnt going to take on that kind of contract for another DH. You know they arent going to want to put him in the outfield, and they already have their DH extraordinaire in Hafner.

The Angels are basically in the same situation, they have Vlad as their DH/OF.

I dont think Manny is going to be on either of these teams. Watch the Yankees swoop in and pick him up, wouldnt surprise me in the least.

Vlad can be the everyday RF and if anything they should just unload Finley to the Red Sox and than either Anderson or Rivera or something can play CF while the other plays LF.

Imagine this though

Figgins

Cabrera

Vlad

Manny

Anderson

Molina

Rivera

Kotchman

Kennedy

If you ask me thats one hell of a lineup and could take them places... although they might lose Molina to F/A so that could change things but still.

If they could get Manny for a decent price, I think Anaheim would jump at the deal. Although I bet Paulie is still higher on their list simply because he'd be cheaper...but it's become abundantly clear out here that the Angels need another bat with some pop to hit behind Vlad the Impaler, and they're going to find it somewhere.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
Vlad can be the everyday RF and if anything they should just unload Finley to the Red Sox and than either Anderson or Rivera or something can play CF while the other plays LF.

Imagine this though

Figgins

Cabrera

Vlad

Manny

Anderson

Molina

Rivera

Kotchman

Kennedy

If you ask me thats one hell of a lineup and could take them places... although they might lose Molina to F/A so that could change things but still.

That is a loaded lineup but what would they give up for Manny? K-Rod? Santana and someone else? Not sure the lineup could stay in tact if they made a trade. The ANgels just do not seem like they'd have a lot of regulars Boston would want, besides Kotchman .

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
That is a loaded lineup but what would they give up for Manny? K-Rod? Santana and someone else? Not sure the lineup could stay in tact if they made a trade. The ANgels just do not seem like they'd have a lot of regulars Boston would want, besides Kotchman .

The Angels also have an absolutely loaded minor league organization.

Right. I am aware of Mathis and McPherson and the others but how do they fit in on Boston? This is the same team that can't get Shoppach and Hanley Ramirez spots. Plus, Bill Stoneman doesn't really deal prospects. I think Boston would LOVE to have Kotchman but I just don't see any other realistic fits unless its something like Kotchman/Santana/Shields or another power arm

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Oct 22, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
yeah...I missed the Manny quote in there also. :huh

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 6:56 PM)
I did. Still mind boggling.

Its the whole wanting to be traded "thing", again, for the eleventy billionth time in the past 5 years. He got his money, and now he is complaining, AGAIN. To that, I say SHUT THE f*** UP.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)

Its not going to take much to get Manny. You do remember it was just a couple seasons ago he was placed on waivers. Throw in a decent prospect and Finley and I think it goes through.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 22, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
Its the whole wanting to be traded "thing", again, for the eleventy billionth time in the past 5 years.  He got his money, and now he is complaining, AGAIN.  To that, I say SHUT THE f*** UP.

When did he say he wanted to be traded? It's all speculation. Nothing more.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 22, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
When did he say he wanted to be traded?  It's all speculation.  Nothing more.

Well isnt Gammons the talking head of the Boston Red Sox? :D

I thought it was worth mentioning only because this happens about twice a year and it is getting old. He gets paid alot of dough to have to "deal" with a town that absolutely loves him, and yet these speculative rumors pop up at the trade deadline, and in the offseason every year for the past 3 years.

As a red sox fan, dont you find it extremely annoying?

In a related story, From sports pickle.com lol

Manny Ramirez Escapes Murder Charges with “Manny Being Manny” Defense

Boston Red Sox outfielder Manny Ramirez was picked up by Boston police Sunday night for murdering two people, but avoided formal charges when he explained that the brutal slayings were simply “Manny being Manny.”

Witnesses saw Ramirez beat to death two people who heckled him early Sunday morning outside his Boston home. The victims were native New Yorkers who reportedly mocked Ramirez’s shoddy outfield play when they happened to see the slugger step outside his front door to grab the morning paper.

“Manny just snapped all of a sudden,” said an eyewitness. “He grabbed an umbrella rack from inside his front door, ran out of the house and just started bludgeoning them. It was brutal and very frightening.”

Police were called to the scene, gathered the reports of eyewitnesses, and took Ramirez into custody after Boston’s game Sunday night against the Oakland A’s to formally charge him with two murders.

But within minutes, Ramirez was cleared by police and allowed to return home after he explained his actions.

“He laid it out for us very clearly,” said Detective Cliff Farber. “He explained that his actions were just ‘Manny being Manny,’ and really – there isn’t any kind of comeback for that. I mean, as a Boston Red Sox fan, I know that certain things come with the package that is Manny Ramirez. If you want his bat, you also have to have his glove and his general aloofness. That’s just ‘Manny being Manny,’ you know? And if ‘Manny being Manny’ now includes a few murders or violent crimes, so be it. We’re trying to repeat as world champions here. There’s not a New England sports fan in existence who wouldn’t forgive the brutal slayings of two dead New Yorkers if that would get us another title.”

Legal experts say Ramirez is lucky he used his trademark excuse to the police and not in a court because it likely would not have worked before a judge.

“To my knowledge, a ‘Manny being Manny’-type defense has never worked in a trial,” said Charlotte Chanel, a Boston attorney. “Charles Manson tried to use a ‘That’s just Charles being Charles’ defense when he was on trial, but the jury didn’t go for it. Although, when you think about all Manny has gotten away with in this town since he arrived, you never know what might have happened if he got a judge and jury that are Red Sox fans.”

Another speculative rumor today coming out that Manny wants to be traded. Although this time there might be some merit to it, considering he is a 10-5 guy, and can reject any offer he so pleases.

My guess is next week they'll interview him and get some quotes from him and he'll deny saying any of it, and he'll say how much he loves Boston and how he wants to finish his career as a red sox.