Heads22

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

REASONS TO HOPE

U.S. Cellular Field may have chased Andy Pettitte out of the American League. Unlikely, of course, but he suffered more losses here (six, in nine decisions) than in any other park as a Yankee visitor. Furthermore, two of the White Sox lighter bats grow heavy against lefties -- Scott Podsednik and Aaron Rowand both hit 50 points higher against them.

If the Astros are anxious about not going home in an 0-2 hole, Mark Buehrle is just the guy to exploit that by making them lunge for his change of speeds.

Let's just get 3 more.

:gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox3:

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)

This one is BIG. I do not want to go back to Houston 1-1 with Oswalt on the mound in game 3. As long is Buehrle is Buehrle, I like our chances very much in game 2.

Mark, when this game is over, I want you to take a 100 foot slide along the tarp at the Cell. I want you to start at 1st and shoot for 3rd. And I want Fox to be pissed off about how short the game was, to the point that they have to show your slide and bracket it with commercials.

Ok so now we're up against Andy Pettite. He had a 2.32 ERA this season with a 171/41 K/BB ratio. Very impressive.

Since the ASB, he's come into his own, 11-2 with a 1.69 ERA, yet he gave up 3 more HR's in that stretch, which probably showed how dominant he was besides that.

Good news, he's not pitching in Minute Maid Park. His ERA is .57 worse in away games, and it's also .57 worse in night games.

Righties hit him better obviously, good news for our lineup, hitting .239 off him with 15 of those 17 homers given up on the year.

His numbers aren't great with runners on with a 4.79 ERA, and there isn't much of a difference b/w that and RISP, so we need to get runners on base anyway at all.

Looking at his pitch counts, he's got a steady spread of ERA b/w the high 2's and the low 3's, except for in b/w 16-30 where it's an unbelieveable 0.28.

For our hitters, Jermaine Dye 6 for 18, Carl Everett 9 for 32, A.J 4 for 11 and Paulie 9 for 23, so we've had some success against him.

Pettite's got a 4.66 ERA in his 3 postseason starts so far, so he hasn't been at his best. Given up almost a hit per inning, with a 12/6 K/BB ratio. Put simply, put the ball in play, and don't let him strike you out.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 03:40 AM)
Ok so now we're up against Andy Pettite. He had a 2.32 ERA this season with a 171/41 K/BB ratio. Very impressive.

Since the ASB, he's come into his own, 11-2 with a 1.69 ERA, yet he gave up 3 more HR's in that stretch, which probably showed how dominant he was besides that.

Good news, he's not pitching in Minute Maid Park. His ERA is .57 worse in away games, and it's also .57 worse in night games.

Righties hit him better obviously, good news for our lineup, hitting .239 off him with 15 of those 17 homers given up on the year.

His numbers aren't great with runners on with a 4.79 ERA, and there isn't much of a difference b/w that and RISP, so we need to get runners on base anyway at all.

Looking at his pitch counts, he's got a steady spread of ERA b/w the high 2's and the low 3's, except for in b/w 16-30 where it's an unbelieveable 0.28.

For our hitters, Jermaine Dye 6 for 18, Carl Everett 9 for 32, A.J 4 for 11 and Paulie 9 for 23, so we've had some success against him.

Pettite's got a 4.66 ERA in his 3 postseason starts so far, so he hasn't been at his best. Given up almost a hit per inning, with a 12/6 K/BB ratio. Put simply, put the ball in play, and don't let him strike you out.

Nice breakdown, Dbaho. I've seen two of Pettite's 3 post-season starts in the last couple weeks and he didn't look impressive in either. I hear he's still laboring from getting nailed "I can't remember where" from a rocket hit by I believe Reggie Sanders. With Buehrle going, I really like our chances in this one.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
MB should be able to keep the sox in the game. The offense should be able to manufacture more runs with the first game under their belt. Let's make it 2-0 going into Houston

Looking at Houston's lineup, their top of the order in Biggio and Taveras really struggle against LHP. Taveras may infact lead-off in tonight's game, they mentioned that on the broadcast.

But if you at the rest of Houston's hitters, against LHP, Bagwell hits .300, Ensberg hits .299, Berkman .294, Vizcaino .295, and Ausmus .293.

So I think Houston will like their chances in this one, and it's probably a game they really need to win. I know Oswalt is on the hill in game 3, but in Houston against Garland and Garcia two RHP which they're not better at hitting, and the Sox's RHH power hitters with the short Left Field Wall, another win could be really crucial in the magintude of this series for the Sox. I like our chances of at least winning 1 game, 2 if Clemens starts game 5 in Houston.