Sox @ Houston - World Series Game 3

Heads22

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
the one thing that everyone is overlooking is the fact that JG will really only be facing 7 men in the lineup instead of the gruelling 9 he is accustomed to.  this is a big advantage for him and all our pitchers in Houston.

I agree that this is a very overlooked factor when comparing pitchers between leagues. It seems as though just by transfering leagues an ERA will jump by around half a point. Jon Garland will be helped by facing the Astros in Houston just because he gets to face the pitcher. I'm looking at this being a low scoring game where hopefully the Sox can stratch a couple across in the early innings and fight out a victory.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
I agree that this is a very overlooked factor when comparing pitchers between leagues.  It seems as though just by transfering leagues an ERA will jump by around half a point.  Jon Garland will be helped by facing the Astros in Houston just because he gets to face the pitcher.  I'm looking at this being a low scoring game where hopefully the Sox can stratch a couple across in the early innings and fight out a victory.

Actually one of the SI Guys crunched those numbers earlier this year. Turns out that on average (with a fairly large variance from pitcher to pitcher), moving from the AL to the NL basically lops .9 runs off your ERA. Again, there's a large variance, so some guys will gain 2 runs going to the AL whiel others will nly gain 1/2 of a run, but on average, it comes down to about .94 both ways.

(Thunder...)

LOS said earlier in the thread that he hopes Goochi has a big game with the bat. I personally just do not see it unless he has gotten his timing back, and even if he has, I don't see much of a chance. He is way too late on the fastball and is usually pretty early on the breaking ball. Unless he's made some type of adjustment to get back to hitting that fastball, he's toast.

I do look for Dye, PK, and AJP to have big games though. Dye is very much a fastball hitter, and has played solidly ts far in the Series. PK I look to have a large day at the plate. Coming off his grandslam, where he hit a fastball very well...I could see him putting up a very big hit or two for us tonight. I also see AJP doing well just because he seems to be a guy that is a guy that hits power pitchers with control rather well. His lack of patience makes for a good matchup due to Oswalt throwing a lot of strikes...thus his 5-8 thus far in his career against Oswalt.

The main key is of course Podsednik...he gets on base and that is more potential runs for the middle of the order to produce. The second main key is the first inning. Give Big Jay Gee a little room for error, thus resulting in him pitching even more loosely than he really already is.

I said to Willie that I look for about a 6 IP, 4 ER performance from Oswalt...and considering how Oswalt has pitched all year, that would be getting hit around.

I don't want this Series going back to Chicago...that would mean Houston has some momentum going into the games, and with Pettitte and Oswalt pitching, I would not like our chances.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
I don't want this Series going back to Chicago...that would mean Houston has some momentum going into the games, and with Pettitte and Oswalt pitching, I would not like our chances.

You raise a good point there...

IF Houston wins two of three, and we go back to Chicago - I certainly don't want to face Pettitte and (potentially) Oswalt back to back to try to clinch. That's tough.

I said this for game three in LA, I say this for tonight, I think tonight's game wins the whole shebang, and yes, I mean that if Houston wins, it gets very tough for us.

IMO, the key for us tonight is to keep playing loosey goosey. We just need to keep that confidence and that swaggar and we'll be fine.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
IF Houston wins two of three, and we go back to Chicago - I certainly don't want to face Pettitte and (potentially) Oswalt back to back to try to clinch.  That's tough.

If Houston doesn't win all 3 in Houston, they'll have to defeat Buehrle and Garland back to back in Chicago. That's even tougher.

(Thunder...)

We're getting close to 3 hours to game time...and y'all know what that means...it's music time!

Just a small town girl

Living in a lonely world

She took the midnight train going anywhere

Just a city boy

Born and raised in South Detroit

He took the midnight train going anywhere

A singer in a smoky room

A smell of wine and cheap perfume

For a smile they can share the night

It goes on and on and on and on

{Refrain}

Strangers, waiting, up and down the boulevard

Their shadows searching in the night

Streetlight people, living just to find emotion

Hiding somewhere in the night

Working hard to get my fill

Everybody wants a thrill

Paying anything to roll the dice

Just one more time

Some will win, some will lose

Some were born to sing the blues

Oh the movie never ends

It goes on and on and on and on

{Refrain}

Don't stop believing

Hold on to that feeling

Streetlight people

Hell yeah baby, time to get amped. :headbang

I was caught

In the middle of a railroad track (Thunder)

And I knew there was no turning back (Thunder)

My mind raced

And I thought what could I do (Thunder)

And I knew

There was no help, no help from you (Thunder)

Sound of the drums

Beatin' in my heart

The thunder of guns

Tore me apart

You've been - thunderstruck

Went down the highway

Broke the limit, we hit the town

Went through to Texas, yeah Texas

And we had some fun

We met some girls

Some dancers who gave a good time

Broke all the rules, played all the fools

Yeah, yeah, they, they, they blew our minds

I was shakin' at the knees

Could I come again please?

Yeah the ladies were too kind

You've been - thunderstruck, thunderstruck

Yeah yeah yeah, thunderstruck

Oh, thunderstruck

Yeah

Now we're shaking at the knees

Could I come again please?

Thunderstruck, thunderstruck

Yeah yeah yeah, thunderstruck

Thunderstruck, yeah, yeah, yeah

Said yeah, it's alright

We're doing fine

Yeah, it's alright

We're doing fine

So fine

Thunderstruck, yeah, yeah, yeah,

Tunderstruck, thunderstruck, thunderstruck

Whoa baby, baby, thunderstruck

You've been thunderstruck, thunderstruck

Thunderstruck, thunderstruck

You've been thunderstruck

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
If Houston doesn't win all 3 in Houston, they'll have to defeat Buehrle and Garland back to back in Chicago.  That's even tougher.

(Thunder...)

They hit Buehrle well. We were virtually hopeless against Pettitte.

And I don't care how good Garland was this year...he was shaky at times during the second half, and he can be shaky any given time of the day.

I want this series to end in Houston...I want no chance of them coming back. Hit Oswalt hard as hell tonight, tag him for 6(even though I predicted 4), and get to the pen right away. Just go up 3-0 tonight, and there is no chance we lose this series...not with FG-JC-MB-JG going in four straight games.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
when is first pitch?

7:38:00 CDT

Which Remind Me: Daylight Saving Time Ends This Sunday!!

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
Actually one of the SI Guys crunched those numbers earlier this year.  Turns out that on average (with a fairly large variance from pitcher to pitcher), moving from the AL to the NL basically lops .9 runs off your ERA.  Again, there's a large variance, so some guys will gain 2 runs going to the AL whiel others will nly gain 1/2 of a run, but on average, it comes down to about .94 both ways.

(Thunder...)

That's waaaaaaaaaaay too high. It is below .5 in all actuallity.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
They hit Buehrle well.  We were virtually hopeless against Pettitte.

This really isn't true. Crede and Jermaine both crushed balls off of him that just hooked foul that would have given us 3 more runs. Also in the 5th inning Jermaine and Paul back to back just absolutely hammered two pitches but right at Lane in rf, we got a little rally going after those two ab's also. He only gave up 2 runs but I wouldn't say we wee hopeless against him.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
That's waaaaaaaaaaay too high. It is below .5 in all actuallity.

You can't just add anything to a pitchers era. Some nl pitchers just can't make the adjustment to the al and some can make it fine. Suppan is a very solid nl pitcher but absolutely blows in the american league. Mark Redman has pitched very well in the national league but has been average in the al. Randy went from being dominate to good but not outstanding anymore coming back to the al. It all depends on the pitcher imo.