Should Gooch be dropped in the lineup?

GoochFan

As much as I am a fan of Tadahito Iguchi, he's been struggling at the plate. Do you think that he should be dropped down in the lineup for the games in Houston especially since some of the other hitters are playing well right now? On the other hand, this lineup has won us a lot of games in the playoffs right now, and maybe it's better not to offend the baseball gods and continue with the same lineup as always? If we did change it up, I could see a lineup like:

(1) Pods

(2) Uribe

(3) Dye

(4) Konerko

(5) Crede

(6) Rowland

(7) AJ

(8) Gooch

(9) pitcher

Your thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I say leave it like it is/has been. For starters, they have won a lot with the lineup the way it is, and even with his struggles there isn't much reason to change. Also, I don't want to have to take the bat out of Uribe's hand if we have to bunt Pod's over early on. Uribe has been so consistant batting where he is. Also, with all of those doubles he has been hitting, a pitcher behind him will be a good way to move him over with a bunt.

When paulie was going through a LOOOONG slump, did we drop him? No. When Carl was in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG slump, did we drop him? YES, but it took quite a while. Gooch hasn't been in the hole long enough to have his spot dropped yet by a longshot IMO.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(GoochFan @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
As much as I am a fan of Tadahito Iguchi, he's been struggling at the plate.  Do you think that he should be dropped down in the lineup for the games in Houston especially since some of the other hitters are playing well right now?  On the other hand, this lineup has won us a lot of games in the playoffs right now, and maybe it's better not to offend the baseball gods and continue with the same lineup as always?  If we did change it up, I could see a lineup like:

(1) Pods

(2) Uribe

(3) Dye

(4) Konerko

(5) Crede

(6) Rowland

(7) AJ

(8) Gooch

(9) pitcher

Your thoughts?

[smack] Next question?

Someone called in the AM1000 the other night and suggested putting Harris in at 2nd instead. I say NOOOOO. While Willie might have been coming on after his recall, I still don't think he offers nearly as much as Iguchi in the greater scheme of things. I am not/have never been much of a Willie Harris fan.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
I personally would like to see Harris get the start at 2nd tomorrow night, but I can completely understand maintaining the same lineup with the way we've been playing.

We have won 14 of our last 15 with this lineup.

Gooch got the walk that allowed Dye to get hit & then PKs blast. If gooch doesnt walk then we are probably 1-1. there are so many intangibles. i can see your idea with harris tomorrow but you dont make change during winning streaks.

Tadahito Iguchi's place should not change in this lineup in 2005. There is absolutely no question. Nor should Willie Harris play in his place. Not this season.

Depending on how the lineup looks, next year I may not be averse to moving him down in the order and letting him shoot for bigger numbers, but right now, he's the ultimate team player in the ultimate team player spot.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
:huh:

Why??

Because Iguchi has not looked good at the plate this series, and looked awful in the Angels series. Against the tough righty in Oswalt, I think Willie has a better chance to contribute to the offense. Will it happen? Not a chance in hell, and I'm fine with that.

QUOTE(GoochFan @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
As much as I am a fan of Tadahito Iguchi, he's been struggling at the plate.  Do you think that he should be dropped down in the lineup for the games in Houston especially since some of the other hitters are playing well right now?  On the other hand, this lineup has won us a lot of games in the playoffs right now, and maybe it's better not to offend the baseball gods and continue with the same lineup as always?  If we did change it up, I could see a lineup like:

(1) Pods

(2) Uribe

(3) Dye

(4) Konerko

(5) Crede

(6) Rowland

(7) AJ

(8) Gooch

(9) pitcher

Your thoughts?

You should be banned simply for misspelling Aaron Rowand's name.

Gooch has been a solid pinch hitter in his limited opportunities this season... I remember a PH game-tying HR against Texas, wasn't it? You want someone exactly like the Gooch pinch hitting in key situations - good contact hitter who can put the ball anywhere w/power to all fields. At one point in the season somethin like 12 out of 14 of his HR's either tied the game or gave the Sox the lead. :bringit