Neither Sox or Astors get any Love

Linnwood

I studied Film/TV in college (more film than tv) and we looked into the Nielsen ratings. THey are actually fairly inaccurate. The sample sizes are relatively small and there are problems about how the data is quantified along with how much of what television is on has people watching it. (I'm not sure the effect TiVo has on all of this).

Anyways, television advertising is a pretty incredible thing. Millions of dollars is put into television commercials which have never really been proven to work in to timeslots and programs that the data on is questionable.

Viewership isn't the be-all/end-all but it is understandable to have a little concern over it. I guess it is like the tree in the forest: if the Sox won the series and nobody saw it happen...

Anyway, you better believe those that tuned out are sorry they missed Sunday's game and are quite likely to not make the same mistake again. Also, as far as the Sox, if we wind up calling them world champions, they damn sure will get ratings next year.

SFF

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
yeah, same here, who cares? when we win i'm sure we'll be the next "america's team" for one lousy year like the gay-ass red sawx.

actually, we won't. We're going to be that "one year flash in the pan". WHO CARES? WE WIN, WE WIN 2005 FOREVER.

I was listening to some mouth on espn radio today who was talking about how foxsports said that the WS ratings are down because it's not the yankoffs & deadsox.

What do thay expect when 8 out of every 10 games they both show are those two?

I hope we sweep so we don't have to listen to joe schmuck & mc blabber.

I can't wait to hear all the whining about how we won on bad calls & luck.

QUOTE(WISOX @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
I was listening to some mouth on espn radio today who was talking about how foxsports said that the WS ratings are down because it's not the yankoffs & deadsox.

What do thay expect when 8 out of every 10 games they both show are those two?

I hope we sweep so we don't have to listen to joe schmuck & mc blabber.

I can't wait to hear all the whining about how we won on bad calls & luck.

Thats a good point. They helped create this dilemma by not creating new stars (teams). They are very shortsighted, as tv networks in general are, and it costs them in situations like these.

Wanted: More viewers for compelling SeriesBy Gene WojciechowskiESPN.com

HOUSTON -- What's the excuse this time?

Had to watch Tuesday's episode of "Gilmore Girls" on the WB ("Lorelai and Rory are saddened by their ongoing estrangement")? Couldn't pass up Nova on PBS ("The discovery of the 400-million-year-old living fossil")? Needed to catch Santa's Slay on Spike TV ("A demonic Santa Claus goes on a rampage")?

Or maybe you just didn't want to enjoy the longest game in World Series history, now known as, "Breakfast at Minute Maid."

According to the early figures compiled by Nielsen Media Research, this 2005 World Series is inhaling from the baseball ratings gas pipe. Nobody, relatively speaking, is watching the Chicago White Sox and Houston Astros. Depending on the viewership numbers from the Tuesday/Wednesday marathon, it could become the least-watched Series in history.

So, on behalf of us who were at U.S. Cellular Field for Games 1 and 2, and at Minute Maid for the 14-inning, five-hour, 41-minute-Game 3 victory by the White Sox, a simple question:

Do you have Fancy Feast for brains?

Short of asking Pamela Anderson to work the plate attired in pumps and her Baywatch one-piece, I can't think of much else this World Series is missing. Except viewers. And an Astros win.

Yeah, OK, the New York Yankees or Boston Red Sox aren't in it. They're the "It's a Wonderful Life" of postseason baseball. Everybody loves them. The Q-rating favorites and all that. We get it.

But there's only so many times I can watch Jimmy Stewart reach into his pocket for Zuzu's rose petals before I'm looking for a change of pace. The White Sox and Astros are the perfect change.

What else do these guys have to do to earn your remote control trust? The 7-5 White Sox win had enough drama to keep David Mamet happy. You couldn't swing Bud Selig's recording studio-sized headphones without hitting a Game 3 storyline.

Roy Oswalt, perfect in the postseason, was supposed to perform reconstructive surgery on Houston's Series chances. Instead, he blew a 4-0 lead and was gone after the sixth inning.

There were a combined 30 runners left on base, which is a World Series record. There were a combined 17 pitchers used, which is a World Series record. And when Geoff Blum hit the game-winning homer in the top of the 14th, Astros manager Phil Garner might have set a World Series record for Longest Chair Toss.

"This is embarrassing to play like this in front of our hometown," groused Garner.

Embarrassing, but compelling TV. If you missed it, you only have yourself to blame.

There was other intrigue/comedy. Only here can a retractable roof become a World Series focal point. The Astros wanted the roof on the quirky, but wonderful Minute Maid Park closed, said it added to their home-field advantage. Selig and the MLB fellas wanted it open, said the weather was too nice to put a Tupperware lid over Game 3.

Guess what, the roof stayed open Tuesday evening and into the wee hours, which is the way it ought to be. Better yet, it adds to the TV viewing fun. Only at the 101st World Series can a team be annoyed because its roof is peeled back on a perfect autumn night. Meanwhile, the stadium that really needs an umbrella in October -- U.S. Cellular -- is still drying out from Sunday night's soak-a-thon.

Anyway, the Astros had all the home-field advantage they needed in Game 3. Problem is, Oswalt and a conga line of Astros hitters couldn't deliver when Houston needed it most.

This was must-see stuff. The Tuesday/Wednesday game was played 19 years to the day that Bill Buckner saw a Mookie Wilson grounder trickle through his legs. So it was fitting that Juan Uribe whipped a ball into Adam Everett's gut on a failed second-inning rundown, followed by Sox manager Ozzie Guillen angrily whipping his hat and gum away in the Sox dugout.

Reputations were restored (Astros closer Brad Lidge and Sox closer Bobby Jenks, in particular). Heroes identified (Blum hadn't seen a pitch in weeks). Leads were extended (the Sox own a 3-0 Series advantage -- only one team in postseason history has overcome that large of deficit). So what if it took awhile to sort out?

I know this Series doesn't have an East Coast marquee team. I know you need an ATF labrador to sniff out a bona-fide superstar (other than Hall of Famer-to-be Roger Clemens). I know the White Sox have already alienated the masses by making Journey's "Don't Stop Believin' " their theme song. And yet, the 2005 Series deserves your support, even if this Series ends tonight.

How can you resist a Series where the Astros are on a championship O-fer, and the White Sox haven't won since the Bolshevik Revolution? You can't avoid getting warm and fuzzy about an Astros team that was so below .500 in late May that you needed deep-sea diving equipment to find them. How can you not want to see a White Sox team that finished with the second-best record in baseball?

Only at this Series can you find a Paul Konerko grand slam, an improbable walk-off dinger by Scott Podsednik, and a meathead Chicago fan roughing up Craig Biggio's wife -- all in the same Game 2. You also get an umpire screw-up on a hit-by-pitch, followed by an MLB executive's knucklehead refusal to let a media pool reporter ask the ump a single question.

We've had blown saves, the World Series debuts of worker bees Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell, and the notebook-filling wisdom of Guillen.

We've had Podsednik's bat whisked away to Cooperstown, and Clemens's tender hammy whisked away to the trainer's room.

We've had stuff.

Now we have a White Sox team one victory away from its first Series title since 1917, which should mean something.

More viewers would be a nice start.

personally i dont care about the ratings. what i care about is the coverage and how good the coverage is. i watch every worldseries game every year. i am a baseball fan. comparing tv ratings is stupid. i hope that fox & espn lose their shorts with us winning the WS. btw the coverage has been decent. the announcers on fox suck. they really havent dug into either city in my opinion. they just yuck, yuck, yuck about the mic. the media has never given us love. i will say the only empire that has had the sox back is Las Vegas. we were still favored to win the AL pennant even as the season neared its end and it looked like cleveland was coming and ANA, NY & BOS were starting to roll. to me if you want intelligence about a team you simply check the oddsmakers lines for respect.

The ratings don't bother me either. Of course, I'm not a FOX exec. whose livlihood depends on such stuff.

What saddens me is that there are not more baseball fans out there. Forget "dynasties" and "curses." These games are riveting and compelling to anyone who knows the game.