Crowds?

KipWellsFan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 12000 people for last night's game.  What's going on, is that normal for this squad?  For a pretty decent ball club and such a big city that's pathetic. :angry:

The weather was a determining factor. It was misty and the wind was of the lake in the city. Plus what in their last 10 games before last night would make that many people want to pay full price to sit throught that weather?

Only 12000 people for last night's game.  What's going on, is that normal for this squad?  For a pretty decent ball club and such a big city that's pathetic. :angry:

I was there, it was more like 1200 not 12000. A lot of blue was showing.

Of course the weather was bad and the team is bad so far.

The Sox have a very small fan base that live within 5 miles of the park(Sorry Bridgeporters, there ain't that many of you attending regularly), and when they aren't playing well, and it's cold and rainy out, nobody is going to race home from work at 5:00 in Oak Lawn, then haul their ass up to The USS Cellphone to catch a 7:05 Wednesday night baseball game.

The Sox have a very small fan base that live within 5 miles of the park(Sorry Bridgeporters, there ain't that many of you attending regularly), and when they aren't playing well, and it's cold and rainy out, nobody is going to race home from work at 5:00 in Oak Lawn, then haul their ass up to The USS Cellphone to catch a 7:05 Wednesday night baseball game.

Yeah! Just us out here in Plainfield and Schaumburg do that stuff!!

The good thing last night was I got a $25 Box seat outside the park for $15.  It is easy to get the scalpers to give you a bargain on nights like last night.

Finding good deals on tickets isn't the problem, and explaining the lack of attendance at Sox games is kind of a pet issue of mine. I just don't see how you market a team to local kids and families, when kids/families sadly don't make up half of any pro sports audience anymore anyways. If you want some plumber from Homewood with 3 kids to sit through a cold night on a Tuesday to watch the Sox, the Sox better have a real good team to make it worth the effort. Just going to get blitzed with your friends and showing up for work hungover the next day is for young, single people with disposable income--North siders/Cubs fans.

Most Sox fans are blue collar guys who work the 9-5, and are probably a bit tired to watch the Sox. Of course, we don't live on the North Side, where the yuppies come out in droves to see afternoon games for the Cubbies.

Just going to get blitzed with your friends and showing up for work hungover the next day is for young, single people with disposable income--North siders/Cubs fans.

Ehem... I take great offense to that stereotype! I get blitzed at nearly every game and crawl into work with a hangover the next day and I am in no way, shape, or form a Cub fan :P

Ehem... I take great offense to that stereotype! I get blitzed at nearly every game and crawl into work with a hangover the next day and I am in no way, shape, or form a Cub fan  :P

I am the same way. I get drunk at the game. Sludge through the work day and then go out to the game again and do it all over.

Also, I live on the N side, but I don't have a disposable income and I am definitely not a Cub fan. :headbang

I am the same way.  I get drunk at the game.  Sludge through the work day and then go out to the game again and do it all over.

Also, I live on the N side, but I don't have a disposable income and I am definitely not a Cub fan. :headbang

I live in Plainfield. Nearly 60 miles ONE WAY to see a Sox game!!

I dunno if I need this smiley - :bang or this one - :headbang

:D :lol:

I am the same way.  I get drunk at the game.  Sludge through the work day and then go out to the game again and do it all over.

60 miles is my trip too. I just don't have the money to get out to as many games as I want to, espesially if I win all star tickets.

60 miles is my trip too. I just don't have the money to get out to as many games as I want to, espesially if I win all star tickets.

Where are you..??

OK, but do either of you have kids? And if you do, do you bring them with, assuming they aren't infants or something? There of course are exceptions to the drinking--northsider rule, just making a general point about the demographics at your average Cubs game, vs those of a Sox game.

Where are you..??

Indiana. I work downtown and make the commute daily.

OK, but do either of you have kids?  And if you do, do you bring them with, assuming they aren't infants or something?  There of course are exceptions to the drinking--northsider rule, just making a general point about the demographics at your average Cubs game, vs those of a Sox game.

I bring Zach (5 years old) to about 20 games a year, and I take my neice to about 6 or 8 (she'll be 3 in October) depending on when my sister is here.

And I don't get bombed every game. But I do enjoy a few beers. Not like RPS and those guys.. sheesh.. you should see them!! :D :P :lol: ;)

Nearly 60 miles ONE WAY to see a Sox game!!

205 miles one way...

when you see a car with Michigan plates at the Cell that say WHTESOX (ZX300) or CWSOX (jeep), that will be me...

and this week to get the WHTESOXmobile ready for the rest of the season so the CWSOXmobile can take a rest, I am laying out about $3,500* - damn things get costly** - but then again, what price can one put on seeing the Sox??????

:headbang :headbang :headbang

*had some body work done and it looks so fine!!!!!!!!!

**plus $99 for a new gameboy advance SE or whatever it is called so the grandson can play it on the ride to the Cell and then $30 for a new game because what the hell good is a new gameboy without a new game?

OK, but do either of you have kids?  And if you do, do you bring them with, assuming they aren't infants or something?  There of course are exceptions to the drinking--northsider rule, just making a general point about the demographics at your average Cubs game, vs those of a Sox game.

I bring my grandson - used to bring my kids - my grandson is 8 - bring him to about 6 games a year - and this year we are doing the overnight too

I bring Zach (5 years old) to about 20 games a year, and I take my neice to about 6 or 8 (she'll be 3 in October) depending on when my sister is here.

And I don't get bombed every game. But I do enjoy a few beers. Not like RPS and those guys.. sheesh.. you should see them!! :D  :P  :lol:  ;)

Steff, you are a true White Sox trooper. And, the exception to the rule. I wish there were more folks like you out there, but I'm skeptical that there are very many.

205 miles one way...

when you see a car with Michigan plates at the Cell that say WHTESOX (ZX300) or CWSOX (jeep), that will be me...

and this week to get the WHTESOXmobile ready for the rest of the season so the CWSOXmobile can take a rest, I am laying out about $3,500* - damn things get costly** - but then again, what price can one put on seeing the Sox??????

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang

*had some body work done and it looks so fine!!!!!!!!!

**plus $99 for a new gameboy advance SE or whatever it is called so the grandson can play it on the ride to the Cell and then $30 for a new game because what the hell good is a new gameboy without a new game?

WOW... with the (at least) 40 games I attend a year I travel at least 4,800 miles just to see the Sox. That's a LOT of miles.

WOW... with the (at least) 40 games I attend a year I travel at least 4,800 miles just to see the Sox. That's a LOT of miles.

25-30 games a year - of course I do weekends but not unknoiwn for me to come dowen for a single game either - I figure about 10-12,000 miles all told, what with then going to Glenview where I usually stay if I stay over - once reason to have both vehicles in top running form so I am nevr without transportation