Resign Carl Everett

White Sox Josh

Obviously Konerko is the Sox number 1 priority and Thomas is number 2. However I think they have to try to sign Everett. He has been key to this team. he is a leader in the clubhouse and he might be a very good guy to come off the bench. He would also come pretty cheap. He brings an attitude to the clubhouse that was key to this team. Just like Pierzynksi that brought a swagger to this team. I also have a feeling he wants to come back. Git r done Kenny.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though this team had great chemistry, a lot of times the worst thing a franchise can do is to bring back every single player from the championship team out of fear that losing a player would disrupt chemistry. Everett is the type of guy that feels he should always be a starter....and I'm pretty sure most of us on here don't want to see him be an everyday starter again.

Everett won't want to be a bench player and he wont be worth the money he will cost anyways. Some team looking for a cheap full-time DH will sign him. I think the Sox will either resign Frank to a cheap deal or acquire someone else, maybe through a trade.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Everett won't want to be a bench player and he wont be worth the money he will cost anyways.  Some team looking for a cheap full-time DH will sign him.  I think the Sox will either resign Frank to a cheap deal or acquire someone else, maybe through a trade.

he was fine with it when frank was here. Plus he will probably exercise his option to come back. The sox will buy it out though because it is i think almost $7 Million. His contract is works like Frank's does.

he was fine with it when frank was here.  Plus he will probably exercise his option to come back.  The sox will buy it out though because it is i think almost $7 Million.  His contract is works like Frank's does.

Everett won't be brought back as a bench player and won't want to be paid like one either. Everett has a $5 million option for next season. The Sox aren't going to pick that up. Frank's buyout is $3.5 million.

I disagree with this post. Why? Because we have too many other options that can hopefully do what he does at a cheaper price.

Think about Brian Anderson. Let's say we do bring back Frank...if we also brought back Carl, that basically leaves us no place for Anderson.

Carl will make about $4 million more than Anderson next year. That is money that can pay Konerko/Thomas. That money can be used to make us better. And if Thomas is back, or we find someone else to DH, it'd be money paid to a bench player/backup. I would rahter those at bats go to Anderson and the money go to Konerko.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
I disagree with this post.  Why?  Because we have too many other options that can hopefully do what he does at a cheaper price.

Think about Brian Anderson.  Let's say we do bring back Frank...if we also brought back Carl, that basically leaves us no place for Anderson.

Carl will make about $4 million more than Anderson next year.  That is money that can pay Konerko/Thomas.  That money can be used to make us better.  And if Thomas is back, or we find someone else to DH, it'd be money paid to a bench player/backup.  I would rahter those at bats go to Anderson and the money go to Konerko.

Anderson can also play defense.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
Obviously Konerko is the Sox number 1 priority and Thomas is number 2.  However I think they have to try to sign Everett.  He has been key to this team.  he is a leader in the clubhouse and he might be a very good guy to come off the bench.  He would also come pretty cheap.  He brings an attitude to the clubhouse that was key to this team.  Just like Pierzynksi that brought a swagger to this team.  I also have a feeling he wants to come back.  Git r done Kenny.

Honestly, I see no reason to resign Carl Everett. If he's being resigned, I'm going to be real afraid because that tells that the Sox lost Konerko and made no attempt to find a replacement for the DH and potentially didn't do anything to replace Konerko and decided to move Dye to 1st and go with Anderson in RF.

If Everett is brought back, the only way it would make sense is as a starter (or platoon DH) and quite frankly I don't want to see that happen. Plus, I honestly don't think he likes being on the bench. I thank him for what he's done on the southside and will always applaud him, but I think this is the last we've seen of him, unless of course someone goes down and the club trades for him again :)

His RBI's and hot streaks (afterall, nothing's better than a hot carl) were so critical for this team to get off to a great start, but his 2nd half slump was one of the worst Ive seen. Thankfully, he was able to get back on track with the last week of the season and the playoffs, but I don't see any reason for the Sox to bring him back next year. He's a productive player, and where he won't be expensive, I don't see him being all that cheap either. Much like AJ, Carl showed that he can be an assest rather than a clubhouse cancer this year.... he will get offers

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
Honestly, I see no reason to resign Carl Everett.  If he's being resigned, I'm going to be real afraid because that tells that the Sox lost Konerko and made no attempt to find a replacement for the DH and potentially didn't do anything to replace Konerko and decided to move Dye to 1st and go with Anderson in RF. 

If Everett is brought back, the only way it would make sense is as a starter (or platoon DH) and quite frankly I don't want to see that happen.  Plus, I honestly don't think he likes being on the bench.  I thank him for what he's done on the southside and will always applaud him, but I think this is the last we've seen of him, unless of course someone goes down and the club trades for him again :)

Carl was a part of this team and he'll always be remembered for it. But his time as Sox is done.

I guess if the Sox opted to go with Brian Anderson as a starter, its not a bad idea to have a guy like Everett as a backup option. The thing is, I dont' want the Sox to go that route. I honestly don't mind giving Anderson another half a season to season in Chicago, bringing him up again late next year and giving him a little more time.

I have no problem slowly easing him to the majors. I still he has things he can work on down in AAA and while it would be beneficial to be playing everyday in the majors, I still think he needs some more AAA ab's.

I think Brian Anderson will be the fourth outfielder next season. I think Timo will also be gone. Sign Frank to a cheap deal to DH. If Frank gets injured again, make Dye the DH and throw Anderson in right field. Makes sense to me.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
Lets just pray that there's no reason the Sox feel like they have to trade one of them.

After this season...I don't think there's a chance in Hell of that. KW might be executed. I think Rowand's even going to get some of the speaking time today. Pods might be on that list too. If we hadn't won it all I could see one of them getting moved, but with a trophy...there's not a chance KW will break that part up. They're under contract, not FA's after 06, and they're cheap.

If nothing else, that city (especially the ladies) have fallen in love with Podsie.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
After this season...I don't think there's a chance in Hell of that.  KW might be executed.  I think Rowand's even going to get some of the speaking time today.  Pods might be on that list too.  If we hadn't won it all I could see one of them getting moved, but with a trophy...there's not a chance KW will break that part up.  They're under contract, not FA's after 06, and they're cheap.

Balta...refer to the other thread you were posting in today. It relates to how Flash Tizzle said that if a Sox player is the one who's getting busted, he doesn't think they'll be back next year.