Hate to start an attendence thread...

Wanne

I'd say it's very possible. I don't buy the whole college excuse. Tons of college kids go to parties and Cub games. Chicago has U of C, UIC, Depaul, Northwestern and Loyola. And before you argue that those places are too far. For college kids, no they're not. College kids usually are parting by 7pm when there isn't anything else to do. I say the ones that were going to Cub games will now be going to Sox games. Tickets will be harder to get by and the lines will be a little bit longer, but I don't care. I got to witness a World Series Championship.

I think 3 million is possible. Doable? Depends on the team. But I would not rule it out.

There is something particularly special about going to see the World Champs play baseball, and we all know it.

You put that togehter with a winning team on the field, and you can turn the Sox into something that people just decide to do randomly, like has happened with Cub games or Angels games out here.

The key really is putting a winner on the field next year. That team must at least challenge for the playoffs until the last day of the year. If that happens, teh team will keep drawing, because they will be putting a quality, enjoyable product on the field, and people will go there thinking that the Sox have a chance to win.

Seriously...If we take today and turn it into a good team for a long time, this can do to our fan base what the 2002 team and subsequent playoff teams have done for the Angels.

i still would like to just be able to go to games on a wimb...

and i DO think that it makes a diff. when college kids leave, tons of people go to U of I (as seen by the riots), as well as SIU, WIU, NIU, and EIU, bradley, not to mention the out of state schools like iowa and purdue and indiana. The schools in chicago have a rather low amount of students compared to those public schools.

I see a big boost in Season tickets ( I will be going from half dozen games to 4 season club tickets for all games ).

The home opener wasnt even a sell out.

Just went back and the Champs averaged 21929 in April in 2005 in 10 games. 25526 in 13 games in May.

Certainly April and May will have huge boosts and Season tickets will guarantee a season long boost. If they are in the divisional race the place will be packed all season. With the pitching we have people will believe if we make it in we can win it all again.

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
i still would like to just be able to go to games on a wimb...

and i DO think that it makes a diff. when college kids leave, tons of people go to U of I (as seen by the riots), as well as SIU, WIU, NIU, and EIU, bradley, not to mention the out of state schools like iowa and purdue and indiana. The schools in chicago have a rather low amount of students compared to those public schools.

The schools did hurt us late in the year...the only time it was really obvious though was during the K.C. series, where we were in the midst of Cleveland's run and the players started complaining about the crowds themselves.

If we're in the race...that basically eliminates most of the school problems at the end of the year, because people want to see a pennant race. It sure worked on those Indians and Twins games.

If we go deep into the playoffs or win, I think it really will help the opening part of the season...because how many people here would give a kidney to get tickets to the home opener next year?

The Sox are poised to really make a run at the Cubs. If Boyer can put together another great PR campaign, which i fully expect him to do, and Kenny can put another winner out on the field I really think we could truely start pulling from that fickle fanbase. Right now Sox Pride is at an all-time high in the city and I could really see it just taking off further if we're in the race next year.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
The Sox are poised to really make a run at the Cubs.  If Boyer can put together another great PR campaign, which i fully expect him to do, and Kenny can put another winner out on the field I really think we could truely start pulling from that fickle fanbase.  Right now Sox Pride is at an all-time high in the city and I could really see it just taking off further if we're in the race next year.

Slightly off topic...but how do you think the crowd will react next year the first time that the ballpark plays "Don't stop believing"?

My God, I'd scream until I passed out.

Lets look at some figures here. When the season started we had about 9500 season ticket holders, by the start of the playoffs about 12,000. At the start of the world series we climbed to about 14,000-14,500. And if you are wondering where i got these #'s i got them from ESPN 1000 and Bruce Levine. So we drew about 1.9 mil in 2004 and that equated to a starting payroll of 75 mil this year in 2005, in which we drew 2.4 mil fans.

Now lets make an educated sox fan forecast. Lets say our season ticket base going in this year is at starting between 12-14.5K fans. Now lets add to that for the world series factor, I know my family bought season tix already for 06. A # bruce threw out was an extra 5000 season ticket holders. So lets say about 18,000 season tickets for 2006. Thats about double what it was at the start of 2005, VERY GOOD.

The sox averaged about 29,500 fans with a 2005 season ticket base at the end of the regular season of about 12-12.5 K fans. By using a simple linear porportion we can find what we would expect in terms of payroll and total attendance from our educated guesses. (1.9 mil fans in 2004 / 75 mil payroll in 2005) = (2.4 Mil Fans in 2005 / X payroll in 2006). This projects about a 94.7 Mil payroll for 2006. Lets do avg attendance, (29,500 avg in 2005 / 14K season tix base in 05) = (X Avg in 06 / 18K season tix base in 06). We get about 37,900 avg attendance in 06.

Basically all my numbers will only come true also based on a 99-63 record as well becuase thats the drivin g factor behind the total numbers. So if we are to finish lower than that next year (very logical) expect mynumbers to be a little to high, at least its a ballpark estimate though.

Yeah Im in engineering school so what, I know were different!!

Edited by joeynach