AAP: Tom Collaro

easyw

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 07:28 PM)
Don't tell that to Jason Gage. He'll cut you.

Ya, I've long been the guy that said he has more power potential than anyone in the org (with the possible exception of Chris Carter and well I used to say Brandon Allen but he was so freaking terrible last year that I can't say his name without being embarassed).

Unfortunately Carter may be the next Collaro as opposed to the next Troy Glaus (thats the type of power I think Carter has). And no by all means I Think the odds of Collaro figuring it out and turning into a 40 hr hitter at the major league level are extremely low, but I do think he has the ability, if he was able to figure out how to hit for a decent average, cut the k's and post a high OBP to be a pretty good money ball type player (on the very high end...its just the odds of him reaching it are very very low).

Excuse my rookie status on this site, don't know what Justin Gage or Easyw have over anyone else.

Repeating Embarrassed had NOTHING to do with spelling South Side.

Tell me how leading two out of three leagues in HR is embarrassing?

Does ANYONE else understand that the big money High draft picks are considered SERIOUS prospects only because of the money?

Can anyone say Valido? Hurt, then he stunk up Winston Salem on his return.

Seems like he is having a pretty good spring, did the Sox bring any other so so Warthogs to camp?

I can't imagine ANY OTHER prospect could "have a hard time adjusting to AA ball"

I think a pretty highly touted prospect named Saltalamachia may have struggled some last year too.

Don't MOST players make adjustments and start playing at or above the level of competition?

Has anyone checked out minor league stats for guys who have fared well in the bigs?

Maybe Brett Clevlen on the Tigers is a good example to look at....... :drink

• 4 weeks later...

:bringit Didn't know a little jawing would shut everyone up so fast...

Isn't this supposed to be where we hope EVERYONE does well rather than just crowing about your own predictions?

B Ham is looking good on the mound and TC is driving in some R's

QUOTE(BB2ZZ @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
:bringit Didn't know a little jawing would shut everyone up so fast...

Isn't this supposed to be where we hope EVERYONE does well rather than just crowing about your own predictions?

B Ham is looking good on the mound and TC is driving in some R's

Perhaps you might get some good discussion from people if you didn't refer to them as "boneheads", or specifically call out certain posters for their supposed lack of knowledge, or tone down your sarcasm a bit. Just a thought.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 10:13 AM)
Perhaps you might get some good discussion from people if you didn't refer to them as "boneheads", or specifically call out certain posters for their supposed lack of knowledge, or tone down your sarcasm a bit. Just a thought.

I am trying to find when or where I called someone a "bonehead" and it's very likely I used that term, can't find where though.

My only point is why does everyone KNOW what's going to happen rather than commenting on what HAS happened?

Home Run hitters usuallly strike out a lot, OBP suffers but TB and Slugging numbers offset that...

That would be right here.

In any case, yes, sometimes people here will tend to take "projections" as being bible truth. I've made that argument here myself. Just because a player has a few specific high end skills, that isn't the whole story. Learning how to succeed and win at each level has importance as well. You'll sometimes hear amazing projections for guys who can't hit .250 in A-ball, while the another player who has succeeded at each level may be dismissed because he's 26, or because he was never "projected" very high by the scouts. Sometimes, the scouts are wrong, and people aren't always quick to adjust their thinking to the reality in front of them. Too much at stake in their earlier assertions.

All that said, I think you'll get a better response by sticking to the baseball arguments, and taking it down a notch. Yes, power hitters often have higher K numbers - BUT, that doesn't mean those K's are irrelevant. I look forward to some lively discussions in here.

Not to mention two triples and a few walks. Almost got the cycle a week ago Sunday (missed the double) Then he got 3 doubles on Tuesday!!!

Edited by BB2ZZ

• 1 month later...

C'mon, you heard it here first...

TC is tearing em up in B'Ham, OK still got to work on the SO's but REALLY how can you NOT like the HR and RBI line?

Crackkkkkkk....... Longgggggg Fly Balllllllll to Left, WOW there was NO DOUBT about that one !!!

:bringit

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, Thomas Collaro was 4-for-7 with two homers and three RBI, including the go-ahead shot in the 12th.

thru 59 games this year:

.288/.312/.538/.850

13 HR

46 RBI

129 TB

67 K in 240 ABs

4-4 in SB

He is near the top in every power-oriented offensive category in the Southern League.

For years I've been hearing again and again that this guy is NOT a prospect. BULL! He IS a great prospect (still needs to get the strikeout rate down)!

QUOTE(easyw @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 06:23 AM)
For years I've been hearing again and again that this guy is NOT a prospect. BULL! He IS a great prospect (still needs to get the strikeout rate down)!

Name for me one prospect who has succeed in the major leagues despite owning a minor league K/BB ratio of over 6:1...

Until you can do that, I'll continue to state that Collaro is not a prospect, let alone a great one.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 07:06 AM)
Who was the Sox minor leaguer a few years back who put up HUGE HR numbers at A ball after repeating it a couple of times, got moved up to AAA and sucked, and was out of our system after that season?

Im pretty sure I know who your talking about, his name escapes me but last time I checked he was with the Orioles organization.

Leo Daigle.

And I don't give a flying f*** if Collaro hits .280 at Birmingham, he is a fringe prospect who will get eaten alive if he ever sees the bigs. My money is that he's a rule V choice next year and is shipped back to us next year.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 08:59 AM)
Leo Daigle.

And I don't give a flying f*** if Collaro hits .280 at Birmingham, he is a fringe prospect who will get eaten alive if he ever sees the bigs. My money is that he's a rule V choice next year and is shipped back to us next year.

That's it. Thanks Mike. Collaro is sounding more and more like Daigle. I guess we will see what happens.

Leo Daigle was nearly 30 when he put up those big numbers with the Warthogs. He was a liability in the field looking at the number of errors. Collaro kept pace with the old guy at 22, maybe THAT'S why Daigle got booted.

QUOTE(BB2ZZ @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)
Leo Daigle was nearly 30 when he put up those big numbers with the Warthogs. He was a liability in the field looking at the number of errors. Collaro kept pace with the old guy at 22, maybe THAT'S why Daigle got booted.

While I agree with you that Daigle was a scrub -- I remember shouting down those following his progress at the time -- He wasn't "nearly 30," more like 25. And when you say that Collaro "kept pace with him" you neglect to mention that he struck out twice as often, while walking half as much, posting a sub-.300 OBP, and getting out-OPSed by .275 points.

Do yourself a favor, and quit looking at only the HR column. It's not going to translate into anyway at the higher levels until his control of the strikezone improves dramatically. That's all you have to look at regarding Collaro.

Wily Mo Pena is the only (mildly) successful prospect that I can come up with with K/BB resembling Collaro's. And Pena's K/BB was 4/1 while being one of the youngest players in his league and being rushed because of the stupid guaranteed deal the Yankees gave him. Collaro doesn't even compare well to him.

As usual Gene is right, I may have exagerated Daigle's age somewhat but tell me why he was let go after such a productive year? Was it because he couldn't do it at AAA?

Gene, in the true spirit of this site, FUTURE SOX, I can understand why you are so critical of ALL aspects of a players game.

BUT......

Don't discount TC's accomplishments so easily, look at all the guys in the Southern league and tell me how many have better numbers than TC....

And quit telling me to quit looking at power numbers, thats what sells tickets, not walk to SO ratios.

Edited by BB2ZZ