AAP: Tom Collaro

easyw

If Collaro ever gets a full season in the bigs, I'd put down a large sum of money that he hovers around the mendoza line while striking out more than 200 times. His best minor league comparison is probably Rob Stratton, and that is not a good thing.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he did make a full season with those numbers it would prove that HR's and RBI are good enough reasons to stay there.

I still don't get why so many people around here jump at every chance to shoot someone down. Why not look at and talk about the good out there, even if it is one play or game at a time?

I haven't seen ANY one comment on how much bonus $$$$$ players get compared to how they perform. Isn't that a better gauge ?

Edited by BB2ZZ

The thing is his minor league numbers are close to Russell Branyan's (close enough at least, not quite the power and a bit more Ks but give me a break) minus Branyan's very solid walk rate. Branyan is a bit of a puzzle to me to be honest. He has a career .329 on base which should be respectable enough considering he has slugged at .483 (.812 OPS, that's pretty good) yet can't find a starting job to save his life. Anyway, Collaro is a poor man's Branyan without the walk rate and Branyan isn't even a starter. So Collaro better vastly improve his contact skills or walk rate if he wants to make it to the bigs. I'm rooting for him, but it doesn't look likely.

Tommy's a good guy. I've seen him play in about 80 games last year and this year combined. He's got a good sense of humor too. I told him good luck next year at the end of 2006, and he responded that "I know I'll see you." He knew he'd repeat AA and was fine with it. I think he has an outside chance at the bigs. He'll just develop slowly. A couple of weeks ago, I saw him hit a homerun to leftfield off the end of his bat while reaching out to hit it. He's strong as an ox, he just needs more plate discipline. That is the only hole in his swing currently. Plus the guy looks like Travolta in Saturday Night Fever, how cool is that?

Nice JP, finally someone around here understands this is about people succeeding at every level.

Some fools around here think people are trash if they aren't the next Willie Mays.

I appreciate the fact that making All Star at AA level is an accomplishement VERY few people achieve.

Even without All Star recognition those kids bust their hump to play ball.

From what I've seen they practice all afternoon before each game, that sure makes it more of a job to me.

Lighten up all you wanna be major league scouts, this is about people as much as it is prospects.

TC is a good kid and you probably know he is pals with your boy Schnur......

:cheers

QUOTE(BB2ZZ @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 07:48 AM)
Nice JP, finally someone around here understands this is about people succeeding at every level.

Some fools around here think people are trash if they aren't the next Willie Mays.

I appreciate the fact that making All Star at AA level is an accomplishement VERY few people achieve.

From what I've seen they practice all afternoon before each game, that sure makes it more of a job to me.

Lighten up all you wanna be major league scouts, this is about people as much as it is prospects.

the sox scouts don't seem to be rating talent jerry owens Aardsma etc. We are in desperate need of someone to add a spark to this lifless team.. Collaro may be a major bust in the majors but may pan out as well or better than some. I predicted Day because he had spent a lot of time down in the minors give Collaro a chance. I'm sure he can field and showed he can hit.. Take a chance iT WON'T BE EXPENSIVE!

QUOTE(BB2ZZ @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 07:48 AM)

Ok, that Willie Mays comment is reallly over-exagerating since people here bust a nut over Ryan Sweeney. And Collaro might be the nicest guy in the world that doesnt mean he is going to have a successful majorleague career. Most people here like Collaro but they are just realist and know the chances of him making the majors and than actual being a real positive contributer are super slim.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
Ok, that Willie Mays comment is reallly over-exagerating since people here bust a nut over Ryan Sweeney. And Collaro might be the nicest guy in the world that doesnt mean he is going to have a successful majorleague career. Most people here like Collaro but they are just realist and know the chances of him making the majors and than actual being a real positive contributer are super slim.

I wouldn't have believed it two years ago that Andy Gonzalez would be a major contributor to the 2007 White Sox.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite his poor plate discipline, Collaro just got the bump up to AAA.

Future Sox sums him well - good power numbers, but must improve his plate discipline if he is to be considered a serious major league prospect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll wait til he end of the year to give a full update.

Suffice to say that Collaro is doing about the same so far in AAA as he did in AA. Look for him in Tuscon come March, and on the southside as a sept call up in 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bama J, actually I'm NOT surprised. Surfed around looking for SOME kind of announcement but if they don't send it, no one gets it !!! The whole White Sox organization seems to suck at making announcements !!

Wish more people on this site were as positive as you this year. I would prefer to recognize good play rather than poo poo somebody because they may not be a future big league All Star. JEAN !!! I mean Gene.....

:drink

Edited by BB2ZZ