Gold Gloves will be anounced today

Frankensteiner

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(HighHeat45 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
Jeter and Varitek are the only ones who made the playoffs, and they were both eliminated in the first round. All these good fielders are on crappy teams.

The Gold Glove award is for the best fielders in the league, not for the best fielders on the best teams in the league.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
Kurkjian agrees that Aaron Rowand fans (me), have a right to be upset and I agree. Yet I'm really not upset.

Aaron deserves one but there is no point in being upset considering this award has seriously become a joke.

You guys are funny...

All worked up about the popularity contest that is the Gold Glove Awards?

Whats next an outcry when Konerko doesn't win AL MVP?

This award has long been considered a joke by everyone, lets not cry about it, it will make your mascara run. :headshake

the mere fact players like Hunter and Varitek won takes away plenty of validity to these awards and what they have become. Its a shame too, because these used to be heralded as something to behold and compete for.... :huh

with that being said,

I fully expect to see Rolen get 3B tomorrow, hell Barry Bonds might even squeeze one out.

Edited by watchtower41

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
How many errors did Eric Chavez make?  15.  Crede made 10.  Crede should get that Gold Glove.  Also Buehrle is a much better fielder than Rogers.  Hunter didn't even play in 100 games this year.  What BULLs***!

It is also worth noting that Crede didn't play nearly as many innings as Chavez this year, in part because of Ozzie's rest patterns, in part because of his stint on the DL, so some portion of those extra errors are presumably due to playing time.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
This is more of a popularity contest, and they are voted on before the end of the regular season by coaches and managers. 

I am sure the voting for Hunter and Rowand was really close.

Nah, I bet Hunter won in a landslide.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
LOL

The only one I was surprised by was Varitek. I never saw that one coming. This is the same guy who can't catch the knuckleballer who starts 1/5th of the team's games.

I'll give you that...Varitek winning a Gold Glove has pretty much locked down the fact that the Gold Glove award means about as much as a Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Award

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
How many errors did Eric Chavez make?  15.  Crede made 10.  Crede should get that Gold Glove.  Also Buehrle is a much better fielder than Rogers.  Hunter didn't even play in 100 games this year.  What BULLs***!

Not really.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
I'll give you that...Varitek winning a Gold Glove has pretty much locked down the fact that the Gold Glove award means about as much as a Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Award

Actually, Raffy Palmeiro winning a GG at 1B in '99 after playing only 28 games at that position was the official death of the Gold Glove Award.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
Actually, Raffy Palmeiro winning a GG at 1B in '99 after playing only 28 games at that position was the official death of the Gold Glove Award.

If that seriously happened, the voters should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski