SI Sportsman of the year

rventura23

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks he's selfish for comming back after he said he wanted to spend more time with his family?

No, I feel the same way. Not to mention he isnt really thinking about his family, when he can get popped and do some more damage, even end his life. The risk seems to be MUCH greater than the reward. What does Bruschi have left to do in the game? He has won 3 out of the last 4 superbowls, been an MVP, made his money, and is credited for being one of the smartest players in the league. What does he have to prove?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
No, I feel the same way.  Not to mention he isnt really thinking about his family, when he can get popped and do some more damage, even end his life.  The risk seems to be MUCH greater than the reward.  What does Bruschi have left to do in the game?  He has won 3 out of the last 4 superbowls, been an MVP, made his money, and is credited for being one of the smartest players in the league.  What does he have to prove?

Exactly. The man had a STROKE, a god damn stroke from a hole in his heart and for some ridiculous reason he has decided to go back to work only a few months later. His job entales him to run around slamming his head into people, the chances of him having serious long term health problems from this are just way too high. ESPN really shouldn't be calling him a hero.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
Oh man rofl.

Giambi = a likeable guy, i mean come on - im serious, he took steriods just like anyone wud take a drug (thinking of the positives and not the negatives) he admitted he did it, and plays it the best he can. Hes truely a GREAT guy, and im happy for him

However...

He shud be nowhere near comeback player of the year awards, or sportsman of the year. theres much better, fairer, up-and-coming stars rather then him.

Ok...I think you're actually being serious here, so I'm going to respond.

He never actually admitted doing anything. He apologized in some pathetic legalese. Then walked away to collect the rest of his $120 million contract.

Where is any sign of remorse? Where is him donating $10 million to an anti-steroid cause? Where is he actually sitting down an leveling with the Yankees fans? Where is he actually telling us the full story?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
Ok...I think you're actually being serious here, so I'm going to respond.

He never actually admitted doing anything.  He apologized in some pathetic legalese.  Then walked away to collect the rest of his $120 million contract.

Where is any sign of remorse?  Where is him donating $10 million to an anti-steroid cause?  Where is he actually sitting down an leveling with the Yankees fans?  Where is he actually telling us the full story?

Ask this kid, his buddy Jeremy said that he and Jason both took performance enhancing substances but that they are very very sorry and will never ever do it again. pwamis.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
Ask this kid, his buddy Jeremy said that he and Jason both took performance enhancing substances but that they are very very sorry and will never ever do it again. pwamis.

I don't care if Jeremy did...Jason Giambi is the one getting the $120 million contract by cheating, and he's the one who still hasn't even admitted he did it.

Amazing, isn't it? A rumor flys around about an "AL playoff outfielder"

testing positive, and fans on other boards are giddy with hope that it

is a White Sox and will lead to "another Black Sox scandal." Meanwhile

a practically admitted user is a candidate for Sportsman of the Year?

Is this someone's idea of a sick joke? If SI does this....well, nothing

will happen. They're a mega-conglomerate and nothing I do will dent

them. But this is outrageous.

But oh, well. Consider the source. The Sox aren't marketable enough

to be Sportsmen of the Year, so don't think about it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
And they say that a hero can save us

I'm not gonna stand here and wait

How many times did they play that crap during the game?

You arent the only one who noticed that

www.czabe.com

Earth to Bristol: "It's Not All About You"

Sometimes, it’s amazing what ESPN can do. On Sunday night, they made me HATE Tedy Bruschi. And I do NOT hate Tedy Bruschi. But after watching the four-letter shove 10 gallons of sap down my throat about his comeback, it was official. I hated him.

Good job, Bristol Hype Company. You’ve done it again.

Look, here’s the bottom line. We are all happy Bruschi has come back. Yes, having a stroke is serious. But it’s not like other players haven’t come back from much worse. In a football sense, having a blown-out knee is much worse. It affects how you play for the rest of your career. Doubt is always in your mind. You are not quite as explosive.

Yet from the moment they opened the microphones, the over-wrought schmaltz started flowing. Suzy Kolber, preeningly annoying on her best night, was beyond vomit inducing with a lengthy (actually “interminable” would have been more like it) recap of all the emotional “human drama” he went through with his wife.

I took the time while suffering through it, to say a prayer that she gains 50 pounds and is out of television in 2 years. God help me on that one.

As if that wasn’t enough, Patrick & Co. slathered the “Bruschi story” with layer after layer of hyperbole, including the ridiculous playing of a song “Hero” with highlights of him making plays going in and out of timeouts.

All this, while our boys are still fighting and dying in Iraq. Hero, harrumph.

Taped interviews about the subject were run during live action, and more than once over-ran the events on the field. It was as if ESPN were saying: “If we could actually cover up the live video of the game to show you our interview with Belichick without being sacked by torch wielding football fans in a murderous rage, we would.”

The game, as always with the Sunday night crew, was a mere prop or backdrop for them to strut their stuff. Hey, look at us! We have production! We have interviews! Us, us, us! It’s all about us! Never mind what YOU, the football fan wants (like, uh, the game) and the usual analysis of what’s happening on the field.

No, you need to sit down and listen to US. Because WE say this is the BIGGEST THING EVER! And the next time something else this BIG comes along in sports, we’ll make sure to SHOVE IT down your throats once again.

Because WE know, and you are STUPID. Now look at Bruschi’s wife in the stands, and shut up about wanting to see another replay. Because this man, who is a FATHER dammit, is doing something NOBODY has ever done! And THAT’s important, not your stupid REPLAY.

I wonder, just wonder, if anybody in one of the big glossy tabled conference rooms in Bristol said last week in a meeting: “You know, we need to be careful not to over-do it on the Bruschi angle.” It seems obvious, the answer is no. But what if they had even MORE planned, before somebody spoke up?

Frightening thought.

There was however, one redeeming moment of the evening. Long after I had gone to bed, several of you loyal readers of this space, emailed me the priceless Suzy moment right after the game. Bruschi is coming off the field, smiling and triumphant. Here comes lil’ Suz with her microphone and beaming cheeks.

And Tedy blows her off. I mean, just walks past her like she was a member of the chain gang. Beautiful. Priceless.

Welcome back Tedy. Now shut up ESPN.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
yeah i got sick of it to.  Once is enough.  I hate those ESPN Sunday Night guys.  And I can't stand Suzie Kolber.  Everything is always so great and wonderful.  Just shut the hell up already.

I find Suzie Kolber oddly attractive.

All of the sportsmen of the year type awards piss me off personally. It's about giving a trophy to some guy who is unwilling to speak his mind and sucks up to everyone in sight.

And as for the whole 'hero' thing, I have multiple veterans in my family, and an uncle who won a silver star. So it pisses me off, but maybe it's just me, because apparently it dosen't seem to phase anyone at ESPN