Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

From Rotoworld:

Agent Craig Landis said Paul Konerko is seeking a deal of six or seven years, possibly including a strict no-trade clause.

"Paul wants a long deal. He wants to spend the second half of his career with a team for the entire time," Landis said. "He doesn't want to be moving around. He wants to settle into a community and buy a house." Landis revealed that the Angels, who are expected to be among Konerko's biggest suitors, have already made contact with him. "They contacted me a couple of days ago to say they are interested," he said. "That's all they said, to officially let us know. They are interested and will be talking to us at a more appropriate time." Nov. 3 - 4:24 am et

Source: Riverside Press-Enterprise

Edited by aboz56

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BMac41 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
The Angels have Casey Kotchman and Darin Erstad at 1st.

They are going to move Erstad IMO and perhaps Kotchman as well if they can get PK. Kotchman could also be the full-time DH if they get Konerko.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
They are going to move Erstad IMO and perhaps Kotchman as well if they can get PK.  Kotchman could also be the full-time DH if they get Konerko.

Mike Piazza would be a cheaper DH for them.. :ph34r:

I'd have to see the money before making a decision on 6 or 7 years.

If there is some consideration for age.

$65/5

$72/6

$75/7

then maybe 7 doesn't look that bad in the AL where he could be DHing.

but 5 @ $13 vs. 7 @ $13 would be a tough pill to swallow.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
If he wants stability, and we want options, maybe he'd be willing to do a contract that was solid through 5, then had mutual options in 6 and 7, similar to Thomas' contract.

Not specific to you NSS, but this cracks me up...

A year ago fans were screaming, yelling, and calling for Jerry to sell the Sox because they offered Maggs a deal structured similar. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm not hung up on a 7 year deal if it is structured properly. Buy outs involved, dollars are right, etc. The obvious example $65/5 or $65/7 which one would you take?

Tex, Kong is going to get a max deal. And that isnt going to be here. The hometown discount is a myth. The comments he made at the rally were probably just things that were caught up in the moment. His agent is going to shop him around and get the max deal. The Angels after watching Kong destroy them, and them needing a RH bat makes a perfect fit. Moreno will spend the money and is not afraid of making this deal.

My money is on the Angels.

It feels good to say that I trust KW to make the right choice on this one. That is a lot of years for a guy that has had 2 1/2 (by my count) really good seasons. The Angels won't be real happy if he goes cold for half a season.

I don't know, I feel like that's a long time at that price.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Tex, Kong is going to get a max deal.  And that isnt going to be here.  The hometown discount is a myth. The comments he made at the rally were probably just things that were caught up in the moment.  His agent is going to shop him around and get the max deal.  The Angels after watching Kong destroy them, and them needing a RH bat makes a perfect fit.  Moreno will spend the money and is not afraid of making this deal.

I agree, and that describes about every player wanting a max deal for their position. I was just pointing out that the years are not as important as some people are making it out to be.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Tex, Kong is going to get a max deal.  And that isnt going to be here.  The hometown discount is a myth. The comments he made at the rally were probably just things that were caught up in the moment.  His agent is going to shop him around and get the max deal.  The Angels after watching Kong destroy them, and them needing a RH bat makes a perfect fit.  Moreno will spend the money and is not afraid of making this deal.

Or carefully planned.... I'm voting the latter. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
Not specific to you NSS, but this cracks me up...

A year ago fans were screaming, yelling, and calling for Jerry to sell the Sox because they offered Maggs a deal structured similar.  :ph34r:

Really? Why? I don't see the problem. Mutual options are good for this caliber of player, I think (and if they thought Maggs was that caliber...). It gives both sides an out, and some long-term security.

I don't recall that particular brew-ha-ha. Were people upset that we weren't offering Maggs the whole thing, or upset that such a deal was too long?

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
Or carefully planned.... I'm voting the latter.  :ph34r:

I thought it was obvious :huh No one really thought he was serious, and that had an relevance to his contract, do they?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)

I don't believe the hometown discount is a myth at all. Players have done it. People do it all the time in other careers, even high-paid, highly competitive ones ones like corporate CEOs.

Money is something to everyone, and everything to some. I just don't know if Konerko is one of those who it means everything to, today.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
I thought it was obvious  :huh No one really thought he was serious, and that had an relevance to his contract, do they?

Naa.. not too many thought he was serious... only about a million people who stood out in the streets of Chicago for 3+ hours.