UPDATED: TO Suspended for the Rest of Season

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
Is it just for one game? If so, thats pretty funny. He was likely going to be out due to injury anyways. Nice to way "punish" someone when he was going to be out anyways.

If he's gonna be punished for more than one game, kudos to the Eagles.

It said indefinitely, so who knows. But either way, that kind of suspension in the NFL would be without pay right? So even if he doesn't miss a game he would have otherwise played in, it will still cost him a boatload of money.

I'll say this. I have to take my hat off to the Eagles. Very rarely do you see teams (I can't think of any besides the Angels) make a stand against a player even when it may hurt the team on the field/court.

Being part of a team means just that. I can't stand players who think they are above the team regardless of their talent level. Having been part of many teams in the past, it got in my craw then when one guy always wanted to be treated differently. Everyone on the team, starter or reserve, busts their ass to be in shape, to prepare for games. Everyone sweats. Prima donnas just piss off everyone else and most teams just look the other way because of talent and $$.

If its just this weekend and he was going to miss anyways (not sure how likely it was he'd play) then this is a non-story. If this is a Keyshawn situation, then this is a big deal. I doubt that though, they need him to make the playoffs in all likelihood. For all of his baggage and garbage, I'm a bit surprised this is the straw that broke the camel's back. Had he not done that phony press conference, I would have expected a suspension. Once he "apologized", I figured that was the end of the story. I never thought he'd play another down for the Eagles before the season. Its debatable how many downs he has left for the Eagles but surely he wo't play for them in 06

Eagles season is officially over.

They have an injured QB, no receivers worth a s*** and no running game.

This is comical.

I honestly do not blame TO for all of this, as the Eagles are one of the most thrifty franchises in the game and other players like Trotter and Westbrook feel the same and have said similar things to TO in regards to the money situation. As far as McNabb goes, he hasn't been very good this year and TO has been great. No argument there from me. More or less, he was suspended because Andy Reid and some of the Eagles players cannot stand the fact that he is in fact bigger than the team at times. The Eagles should have dealt him prior to the season. Now after this latest episode his value continues to fall.

I fully expect an interview with Rosenhaus to be the lead story on Sportscenter tonight.

Yippee.

Also, seems some Eagle fans are pissed.

http://www.igglephans.com

The gave up very little to get him, and they will get very little for him next time (if anything at all). With his salary, I predict that he is released instead of traded for a 5-6th round choice. Someone will gamble on him I'm sure (Baltimore maybe) but I can't imagine wanting him on your team

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
They have an injured QB, no receivers worth a s*** and no running game.

They havent really gotten a chance to get a running game with the playcalls. If they start running the ball, they would be much more successful.

Edited by Felix

Here is the scoop according to Sal Palantonio (SP?):

TO met with Andy Reid and other Eagles personnel regarding his latest comments. This was before his apology and subsequent suspension.

Basically the conditions that were set forth for him to be in good standing were simple. He had to apoligize to the media, the Eagles organization and his teammates for his transgressions. I don't recall the details of the apology, but apparently it did not satisfy the above requirements. So they suspended him until he meets those requirements.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
He's the kind of guy you love to hate -- but unlike so many of the trash talking slapnutz there are, he's able to back it up on the field with fantastic play.

That's the crazy thing and why he gets away with so much. He's such an amazing player on the field; however, you can only take so much of it. The bad's basically outweighing the good here.

Let me preface this by saying I am not a TO fan (though this suspension could cripple my fantasy team). I have problems with people who say that TO cares only about himself and that he is a detriment to the team. I remember a guy making an incredible return to the field for the Super Bowl last year and playing an amazing game. Yes he needs to shut his mouth, yes THIS season he has become a distraction to his team, and yes he most definitely needs to grow up a lot. It's just unfortunate that his actions since that Super Bowl performance have been so negative. Just my .02.

On ESPN Radio this afternoon they were talking that the eagles might release TO and if they do would the Bears be interested. As much as i hate the guy, he is an amazing reciever, and with a team of Moose and TO we would go from having one of the worst group of WR's the one of the best. His attitude would probably f*** up the team though.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
Let me preface this by saying I am not a TO fan (though this suspension could cripple my fantasy team).  I have problems with people who say that TO cares only about himself and that he is a detriment to the team.  I remember a guy making an incredible return to the field for the Super Bowl last year and playing an amazing game.  Yes he needs to shut his mouth, yes THIS season he has become a distraction to his team, and yes he most definitely needs to grow up a lot.  It's just unfortunate that his actions since that Super Bowl performance have been so negative.  Just my .02.

You're missing the point a little bit. TO's efforts on the field have never been questioned (or at least as far as I know). He is very much a competitor and has a huge drive to compete at the highest level. So it is a no brainer that he would work his ass off and put himself on the line to have a chance to do that.

There is a difference between giving it all on the field and being a team guy. A player can give it all on the field for selfish reasons.

TO in his interview I think made a very telling statement. He was asked if his team was winning, would he complain about not getting the ball enough. His response was no, that winning is what it is all about. He then followed it up with saying that if the team was not winning and he didn't feel he was getting the ball enough he would b****, feeling that if he got it more they had a better chance to win.

While on the surface that isn't too bad, it just goes back to a me-driven attitude. It is easy to be happy and be a team guy when you are winning. Winning makes all kinds of ills go away. A guy's true character comes to light when the chips are down, if you will. When a team is losing, a team guy would work his ass off to do everything he could to make the team better, not b**** publicly about not getting the ball enough or about the team's problems. Doing so is an weak attempt to make himself look good wanting people to know that he can do more to help. In reality, it destroys the team dynamic and makes matters worse.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
The Eagles are making a mistake by suspending their only good receiver.

Good luck against a good defense Sunday.

Short term pain for long term gain. I applaud the stance the Eagles have taken here.