Sox Top 10 Prospects

farmteam

QUOTE(farmteam @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
Two questions:

What do you think BA will put as the top 10 prospects?

Who would YOU put as your top 10 prospects.

Chris Young will be #1, after that, it's always a crapshoot. I haven't finished my top ten yet, but you always have to make disclaimers about including McCarthy or Anderson at this point. I would think Anderson is still elligible, but McCarthy is not.

Something interseting my freind form NY sent me... we always talk about minor leaguers and this weekend we were talking about pitchers and I brought up Gios' name up and he was clearly upset ... and replied ... "dont go there" we talked about him for brief minute, or should I say i talked about Gio... then he sent me a email with this link... interesting stuff.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=83761

Edited by Soxpranos

Aside from Chris Young, no one in the system has the power potential of Collaro. I still don't think that makes him top 10, but if he learns a little more discipline and continues to improve, he may turn into a pretty solid major leaguer.

Oh tops on my list is Chris Young.

Top 5

Chris Young

Brian Anderson

Daniel Haigwood

Gio Gonzalez

Ryan Sweeney

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
Aside from Chris Young, no one in the system has the power potential of Collaro.   I still don't think that makes him top 10, but if he learns a little more discipline and continues to improve, he may turn into a pretty solid major leaguer. 

Problem is guys at his stage rarely "learn" plate discipline. In fact, it almost never happens...

Is Haigwood your new Deininger? :D Rated ahead of Gio, Broadway and Liotta? Haigwood's ceiling isn't as high as any of those guys (in addition to about 3 others), wouldn't you agree? Haigwood is the kind of kid who has more stability, likelihood to become a major leaguer, but he doesn't have 1, 2, or #3 starter stuff, does he?

Edited by Randar68

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Problem is guys at his stage rarely "learn" plate discipline.  In fact, it almost never happens...

Is Haigwood your new Deininger?  :D  Rated ahead of Gio, Broadway and Liotta?  Haigwood's ceiling isn't as high as any of those guys (in addition to about 3 others), wouldn't you agree?  Haigwood is the kind of kid who has more stability, likelihood to become a major leaguer, but he doesn't have 1, 2, or #3 starter stuff, does he?

I wouldn't have a problem seeing Haigwood ahead of both Broadway and Liotta. If you're talking ceilings, then look at Liotta's numbers and almost anyone could have a higher ceiling. His peripheral stats (SO/9, SO/IP) aren't impressive at all. You have to remember that last year was when Haigwood was fully healthy, and he's seemingly a power pitcher (look at the OBA, H/9, SO, BB). Add to the fact that many prep lefties such as Gio usually dominate A ball and struggle when they hit AA. Haigwood, being a prep lefty, didn't skip a beat while Gio experienced some trouble at Winston-Salem.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
Something interseting my freind form NY sent me... we always talk about minor leaguers and this weekend we were talking about pitchers and I brought up Gios' name up and he was clearly upset ... and replied ... "dont go there" we talked about him for brief minute, or should I say i talked about Gio... then he sent me a email with this link... interesting stuff.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=83761

Yeah, but they would have dealt him for someone old and washed up anyway.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Brandon almost certainly pitched too much for BA to list him this year.

Okay. Thanks. I am never really sure because even when guys seem like they have played and become somewhat regulars in the majors, we see their names in these lists. Over the past few years, the examples I can think of are Austin Kearns, Dallas McPherson, Scott Kazmir.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
Randar,

In your opinion, out of all of the prospects, excluding BMAC and BA, which ones are most likely to come up and contribute and possibly have a shot at making the big club.

The 2006 club? I think it's too early to say given the needs the team still has. Bullpen guys are almost always the most likely to contribute immediately or win a spot in ST due to injury, etc...

That said, in 2006, barring a LOT of moves by KW, there aren't many positions available for regular playing time. What happens with PK and the #3 spot in the order will have the most impact on position players.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
The 2006 club?  I think it's too early to say given the needs the team still has.  Bullpen guys are almost always the most likely to contribute immediately or win a spot in ST due to injury, etc...

That said, in 2006, barring a LOT of moves by KW, there aren't many positions available for regular playing time.  What happens with PK and the #3 spot in the order will have the most impact on position players.

Cop out. Come on, be bold, you dont have to stake your rep on it. Just tell me which player you think could make a real impact.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
Cop out.  Come on, be bold, you dont have to stake your rep on it.  Just tell me which player you think could make a real impact.

Other than BA and McCarthy, the only other way someone plays a prominant role is through injury or someone failing, IMO.

I'd say someone like Bajenaru or another reliever-type has the best chance to make the team, but...

Young has the talent to make a "real impact" if he's forced into service.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
Problem is guys at his stage rarely "learn" plate discipline.  In fact, it almost never happens...

Is Haigwood your new Deininger?  :D  Rated ahead of Gio, Broadway and Liotta?  Haigwood's ceiling isn't as high as any of those guys (in addition to about 3 others), wouldn't you agree?  Haigwood is the kind of kid who has more stability, likelihood to become a major leaguer, but he doesn't have 1, 2, or #3 starter stuff, does he?

I'm with you on the percentages and likelihoods, but Buehrle doesn't have 1, 2 or 3 starter stuff either.

Some guys can just flat out pitch. I was really impressed with Haigwood, so count me in on the lovefest with Jason. But I did only see him twice and he still has a long way to go, so I am not here to pronounce him as the next Buehrle, but he is as close as I have seen - with a better breaking ball!

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 03:56 AM)
I'm with you on the percentages and likelihoods, but Buehrle doesn't have 1, 2 or 3 starter stuff either. 

Some guys can just flat out pitch.

Exactly what I was thinking. I really like Haigwood. Screw "stuff." I don't care if he doesn't have 1,2, or 3 "stuff" as long as he gets the job done like a 1,2,or 3 starter.

McCarthy's big-league experience no longer qualifies him as a 'prospect'.

As for Collaro, take a look at his stats. If he can learn a little bit of paitence at the plate, he might make the show... I think he's a notable prospect in the Sox orginization.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 03:56 AM)

Some guys can just flat out pitch.  I was really impressed with Haigwood, so count me in on the lovefest with Jason.  But I did only see him twice and he still has a long way to go, so I am not here to pronounce him as the next Buehrle, but he is as close as I have seen - with a better breaking ball!

I am with Rex and Jason. I know Haigwood does not have Gio's arm, but he has good stuff, is bigger and stronger, knows how to pitch. I have a feeling he is going to surprise.