College hoops Playboy style…

Thinking back on the topic I just wrote, I’m guessing a lot of guys are reading this post hoping to see some beautiful ladies playing b-ball in the buff ?. My apologies in advance for any disappointments, I’m really just wondering if anyone has read Playboy’s college hoops predictions this month, and if so, what do you agree/disagree with? I’ve actually followed their charts for the past 3 years in my office pool, and cashed in twice (made $400 for 3rd place last year, $640 for 2nd place last year.)

The onlyyyy choice I’m really questioning is Villanova for #3, though I haven’t really followed their team besides a few highlight clips on Allan Ray last season.

Not to cause a big debate, but also what are your thoughts on the 19-year old age requirement for new NBA players? Personally…I think it’s a good thing. But that’s just my opinion.

Rob in OH

Welcome to the boards first of all. I'm one of the few rare college kids that doesn't get the magazine. Would you mind posting some snippets of the predictions? I actually like Villanova that high, the only two teams that I think should be ranked higher are Duke and Texas. Villanova has some great athletes, a great defensive center when he's healthy, and a unique style that causes alot of problems.

As for the NBA age limit, its certainly better than nothing, but I would have liked to have seen a 20 year limit put in place. I can't complain though as its getting some guys to UNC and other schools like Ohio State that would have made the jump without it. The kids that are "forced" to attend college for one year will likely have some holes discovered in their game forcing them to attend school for 2-3 years.

I actually do not like the age limit in the NBA. While a lot of high school players make the jump to the NBA before they are ready, a lot of players have no business playing college basketball. LeBron, Amare Stoudamire, Dwight Howard, even a guy like Al Jefferson with the Celtics last year would not have benefitted by playing in college. In fact, had any one of those guys gone to college or the NBADL and gotten hurt it could have killed their future earning power.

But I guess my main problem with it is that anyone over 18 can fight a war in Iraq, but they can't play in the NBA.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
I actually do not like the age limit in the NBA.  While a lot of high school players make the jump to the NBA before they are ready, a lot of players have no business playing college basketball.  LeBron, Amare Stoudamire, Dwight Howard, even a guy like Al Jefferson with the Celtics last year would not have benefitted by playing in college.  In fact, had any one of those guys gone to college or the NBADL and gotten hurt it could have killed their future earning power.

But I guess my main problem with it is that anyone over 18 can fight a war in Iraq, but they can't play in the NBA.

So because of a few abberations you want 18 year olds to play in the nba? For every player that is ready at 18 there are hundreds that are not. I am willing to take the chance of one player... who has the potential to be great, get injured and ruin his career ( not likely with the medical treatments now). Having players go to college for at least a tear or two benifits both the college and nba... win-win situation if you ask me.

I have a bigger problem that you cannot legally gamble/drink at 21... but you can fight and potentially be killed in war at 18.

For every Lebron, Amare, or KG, there's two Leon Smith, Desagna Diop, Korleone Young, Ousmanne Cisse, Taj McDavid, Ellis Richardson, Tony Key, DeAngelo Collins, Lenny Cooke, James Lang, Jackie Butler's. You can even include guys like Kendrick Perkins, Dorrell Wright, Robert Swift, Travis Outlaw, and Ndubi Ebi on the list of guys that didn't benefit their game from being drafted out of high school. Take a look at someone like Marvin Williams, he went from being the 14th pick of Seattle to being the 2nd pick in the draft with just one year of exposure at a high major. Carmello went from being a borderline lottery to being the 2nd pick in the draft with just one year.

Also, comparing the War draft to the NBA draft is like comparing apples to oranges. One set of guys are being drafted to fight for our country and our way of life. The other group is being drafted into a business to play a game. You have to remember the NBA is a business, and if they think a higher draft age benefits their product, which in turn, makes them more money, while improving the impact of rookies and players in general, I can't argue with it. Guys are gonna make their money anyways, whether its overseas for a year until they can be drafted making hundred's of thousands to millions, or even developing their game in the NBDL. NBA talented guys can take out insurance like NFL prospects such as Matt Leinart and still live comfortably if they are injured.

You have to protect the kids from themself(and their "advi$or$")

Duncan played all 4 years of college, and he needed practically no learning curve. He may have been ready 4 years earlier, but I definitely think he greatly benefitted from going to college all 4 years.

Let me know when a college kid leads his team to an NBA title.

I have no proof, but I feel that there is a correlation between players no longer going to college all 4 years and the NBA going downhill in terms of quality. Nobody has fundamentals anymore. Nobody knows how to shoot a damn jump shot.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
I have a bigger problem that you cannot legally gamble/drink at 21... but you can fight and potentially be killed in war at 18.

If your not in the army you dont really have a legit complaint about it. And since you have been posting on soxtalk everyday of the year I very much doubt you are in the army.