John Rooney - New Cards Radio Announcer

CardsJimEdmonds15

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Good for the Card fans! Good for Rooney!

I am happy that it was reported that the Sox want an ex-player to step in. That means it WON'T be North. I actually kind of (slightly) like North in small doses, but I could NOT imagine him calling a game.

Stoney? He had 2 stints with the Sox i think?

IIRC Rooney had a shot at the Cardinals job a couple of years ago, but declined to pursue it because of his loyalty to the White Sox and he had a couple of years left on his contract. I don't know him at all, but if this really was his dream job, contratulations to him, the declining to pursue the job a couple of years ago would show what kind of character and class he really has.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
IIRC Rooney had a shot at the Cardinals job a couple of years ago, but declined to pursue it because of his loyalty to the White Sox and he had a couple of years left on his contract. I don't know him at all, but if this really was his dream job, contratulations to him, the declining to pursue the job a couple of years ago would show what kind of character and class he really has.

Oh.. he wanted it then.. someone wouldn't let him out of his contract.. :rolly

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Good for the Card fans! Good for Rooney!

I am happy that it was reported that the Sox want an ex-player to step in. That means it WON'T be North. I actually kind of (slightly) like North in small doses, but I could NOT imagine him calling a game.

I like my dose of North to be so small that it's completely non-existent.

Honestly, if I even hear a second of him on a commercial talking about some business being "MYE GUYSSSSSSS" I want to vomit.

God bless John Rooney, I will personally miss the many nights I spent on my patio listening to him. He is from the St. Louis area so following in Jack Buck's foot steps is a natural. The Cards fans I know like their baseball without bulls***, so I expect John to do great, no 2 or 3 guys on the mike; follow the ball and tell me what happened. The broadcast is about the game not the announcer.

I hope they hire someone who can do play by play to sit next to Farmer. Then when Ed disappears for a couple innings at a time we can figure out what the hell happened in the game.

At least Rooney left the South Side in style. :gosox3:

Anyone else find it ironic that Rooney's replacing a guy he used to work with? Remember, Hagin was the color commentator a year before Ed Farmer joined the broadcast.

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 08:03 PM)
At least Rooney left the South Side in style.  :gosox3:

Anyone else find it ironic that Rooney's replacing a guy he used to work with?  Remember, Hagin was the color commentator a year before Ed Farmer joined the broadcast.

Yeah, i thought he had worked with hagin in the sox booth before

i remember when farmeo joined.. i was like.. who is this clown?

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
At least Rooney left the South Side in style.  :gosox3:

Anyone else find it ironic that Rooney's replacing a guy he used to work with?  Remember, Hagin was the color commentator a year before Ed Farmer joined the broadcast.

Expect the Cards to win it all, whenever Roon is ready to leave STL or call it a career. He left Minny with a WS ring, and he's done the same this year.

My source had him going to the Angels... glad I never said that publicly, I would've been dead wrong.

I also heard there might be some bad blood between Rooney and Farmer due directly to the WSCR deal. Same source, so take it for what its worth...

Congrats to Rooney - a great one, a total class act. Big loss for Chicago, big gain for St. Loo!

Edited by easyw

From the Tribune:

Rooney, who will be paid an estimated $500,000 per year, had signed a seven-year contract in 1998 to handle White Sox games on WMVP-AM 1000, but the World Series champion is shifting to WSCR-AM 670 next season.

The cheap ass Score wouldn't come close to that figure and I bet they weren't even within 150K of that. In fact I'm pretty sure of it.

Thanks to them we will have to live with a sub-par announcing crew for the foreseeable future. You either pay the best or they leave. It's that simple.

I encourage everyone to contact the radio station and let them know how disappointing it is to lose the best announcer in baseball to another team. It's embarassing, considering we just won the World Series.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
From the Tribune:

The cheap ass Score wouldn't come close to that figure and I bet they weren't even within 150K of that. In fact I'm pretty sure of it.

You KNOW they weren't.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
From the Tribune:

The cheap ass Score wouldn't come close to that figure and I bet they weren't even within 150K of that.  In fact I'm pretty sure of it.

Thanks to them we will have to live with a sub-par announcing crew for the foreseeable future.  You either pay the best or they leave.  It's that simple.

I encourage everyone to contact the radio station and let them know how disappointing it is to lose the best announcer in baseball to another team.  It's embarassing, considering we just won the World Series.

Hey before you speak about something that you don't know about get the facts right- I told everybody at the end of the regular season that Rooney cut off negotiations so he could go over to his beloved Cardinals. The Score had nothing to do with that. He left the Sox so you should be mad at him

QUOTE(palehose23 @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
Hey before you speak about something that you don't know about get the facts right-  I told everybody at the end of the regular season that Rooney cut off negotiations so he could go over to his beloved Cardinals.  The Score had nothing to do with that.  He left the Sox so you should be mad at him

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

I'm a helluva lot closer to the situation than you will ever be my friend.

Several on the board can vouch for that.

Perhaps YOU, not me, should follow your advice.

Now, as you were.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
:lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting

I'm a helluva lot closer to the situation than you will ever be my friend.

Several on the board can vouch for that.

Perhaps YOU, not me, should follow your advice.

Now, as you were.

My theory is that Farmer negotiated a substantial contract because he does both P by P and color. His deal was done before Rooney’s and, with this as part of the equation, that there wasn’t enough left over to give Rooney a competitive deal, so John walked.

Now the Score has a middle range P by P, will go with an entry-level (cheap) color man, and is happy with how things turned out. I’m not blaming Farmer, he didn’t do anything wrong, but I suspect this was the chain of events. Can you comment or is my speculation groundless?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
From the Tribune:

The cheap ass Score wouldn't come close to that figure and I bet they weren't even within 150K of that.  In fact I'm pretty sure of it.

Thanks to them we will have to live with a sub-par announcing crew for the foreseeable future.  You either pay the best or they leave.  It's that simple.

I encourage everyone to contact the radio station and let them know how disappointing it is to lose the best announcer in baseball to another team.  It's embarassing, considering we just won the World Series.

They f***ing payed Stoney more than that to have a show 3 times a week.

QUOTE(toasty @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
Yeah, i thought he had worked with hagin in the sox booth before

i remember when farmeo joined.. i was like.. who is this clown?

Im still asking myself that same question, something years later. He's still a clown... gonna miss Rooney big time.

QUOTE(palehose23 @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
Hey before you speak about something that you don't know about get the facts right-  I told everybody at the end of the regular season that Rooney cut off negotiations so he could go over to his beloved Cardinals.  The Score had nothing to do with that.  He left the Sox so you should be mad at him

LMAO... this board cracks me up!!!! :lolhitting

From today's Trib

Cardinals President Mark Lamping could hardly believe former White Sox announcer John Rooney was available for St. Louis to sign to a multiyear contract to handle play-by-play on KTRS-AM. "John Rooney being available doesn't happen, or shouldn't happen. But it did," Lamping said