Sox have interest in Piazza

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
I don't want any of them.  If the Sox are going after Frank for a full time DH or Piazza as a full time DH, the club is going to be in trouble.  I'm sorry, nothing Frank has done the past few years have given me any reason to think he'll come back from this injury and play 130 games.

That's fair and I agree, as much as I love Frank I'd much rather bring in a dh that we can count on, however if we're taking a chance on someone give me Frank over Mike.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
Nomar is definatley a better option than Piazza.  He's still a good athlete and showed late last season that he can still handle the bat.  Once again your going after an injury proned guy and thats something I'd like to see the Sox stay away from.

I definitely take my chances on Nomar over Piazza, that's not even tough imo. Like you said though, I'd prefer not to go after any of these guys.

Everyone needs to chill out and remember last year. The whitesox were linked to just about every FA out there. Its the KW smoke screen, the flying under the radar. Remember at Soxfest, Kenny was acting like he didnt know this Iguchi fella.

We will know when the move is made, but the White Sox will be linked with every single FA until the move is made.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
Everyone needs to chill out and remember last year.  The whitesox were linked to just about every FA out there.  Its the KW smoke screen, the flying under the radar.  Remember at Soxfest, Kenny was acting like he didnt know this Iguchi fella. 

We will know when the move is made, but the White Sox will be linked with every single FA until the move is made.

No one is freaking out, it's just a good discussion on Piazza's worth.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
Simply put offering Carl a new deal will cost the Sox far less than signing either Piazza or Nomar.  Piazza to the Sox is pure fantasy.

im not entirely sure that piazza or nomar will get that great of a deal, especially nomar..he had to settle for a 1 year incentive laden deal last year to prove he was healthy, which he didnt. honestly i think all three, piazza everett and nomar will be in the 4-6 mil range. My guess is that nomar wont get more than a 2 year deal, ditto carl...but i could see piazza gettin 3

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)
Nomar is definatley a better option than Piazza.  He's still a good athlete and showed late last season that he can still handle the bat.  Once again your going after an injury proned guy and thats something I'd like to see the Sox stay away from.

I would much rather have Nomar. He had two freak injuries, and is a better player at this point in his career, and a better athlete. I like the Widge behind the plater better than Piazza.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 03:43 AM)
Frank is gone, the Sox don't want the injury risk.

There is still a lot of upside to Frank Thomas and his staying with the Sox. Plus the injury risk is no different than with Piazza or Thome, both of whom were injured more than once. Besides Piazza's head is like a magnet and attracts baseballs by the dozen.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
Old

So is Duque/Contreras/Hermanson. What's stopping them? So is Widger. What's stopping him from being on the team.

slow

PK? AJP? Crede? Not like we have track stars throughout our entire lineup.

defensive liability

There's a reason there is not a gold glove for DH's.

on the decline as a hitter

12 homers in 34 games with a bum foot...and you're telling me he's on the decline?

He's not the hitter he was 10 years ago...but him on the decline is better than a lot of hitters at their peak.

Do any of these things sound like playing baseball the White Sox way ????

I think the answer is apparently yes.

There is a huge mutual respect for Frank, Jerry Reinsdorf, and the White Sox organization. I don't just see them letting him go. I don't really think he wants to sign anywhere else, I think he wants to keep playing, and I don't think KW would have a problem bringing him back to a very incentive laden deal. Like I said, you bring in a Carl Everett - a guy who can be useful as a bench player, but also capable as a starter - and count on him and Thomas to be your everyday DH, and you are fine. Do I hope for better things offensively? Yes - but I also realize how big getting PK resigned is, how big it is to get Garland/Contreras/Crede/Iguchi/AJP/whoever else KW has in mind extensions with the Sox. You can bring in Delgado this year and be hunkey dorey if I even spelled that right, while having an excellent offense...but you have then virtually crippled yourself as far as resigning FAs goes.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
I'd much rather have Frank Thomas as the Sox' DH!!!

We all would like Thomas as our DH and he will be our DH. HOWEVER, he hasn't played a full season since 2003.

2001- Missed most of the season

2002- Played a full season (but a bad year for him)

2003- Had a vintage Thomas season 40 hr, 100 rbi's.

2004- Missed half of the season (ankle). However, before he got hurt he was putting up monster #s

2005- Only played 23 games.

See a patter? you can't go into a season w/o a backup plan for Frank. Frank will be back. But KW knows that we need a 2nd option- just in case. He obviously can't cost higher than $4-5 million/ year. So why not go after a Piazza? We can probably sign him for about $4 mill/year for about 2 seasons. In the Cell he can really jack the ball out of the yard.

There is also some talk that Ozzie wants some more speed behind Podsednick. So why not make a run for Damon? If we can't resign Pauly- why not Dye play 1B and Damon plays RF? Damon and Dye were teamates in KC and im sure he would play some sort of role of getting him over here? Imagine this:

Pods LF

Damon RF

Dye 1B

Thomas/Piazza DH

Pierzynski C

Iguchi 2B

Rowand CF

Crede 3B

Uribe Ss

Not too shabby and still have to core of the championship team still here. What do you guys think?

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
There is also some talk that Ozzie wants some more speed behind Podsednick. So why not make a run for Damon? If we can't resign Pauly- why not Dye play 1B and Damon plays RF? Damon and Dye were teamates in KC and im sure he would play some sort of role of getting him over here? Imagine this:

Not too shabby and still have to core of the championship team still here. What do you guys think?

that is the worst idea ever. damon SUCKS! check out his numbers since he stopped juicing- and dont even try to say that he wasnt. we have Arow, pods, and dye- why would you want to start making a move of that magnitude that is completely unnecessary? Yeah, i might consider it, if crazy carl was starting in right or left feild. but damon's a bum and a juicer. just my opinion, but i think he would be a horrible fit. and hes too old and you know hes going to want a nice long and generous contract. dont buy into the hype- espn says one of the reasons he is the "best leadoff hitter in the game" is because he brings "character" to the red sox. character?!

NO. DAMON'S A BUM.

We all would like Thomas as our DH and he will be our DH. HOWEVER, he hasn't played a full season since 2003.

2001- Missed most of the season

2002- Played a full season (but a bad year for him)

2003- Had a vintage Thomas season 40 hr, 100 rbi's.

2004- Missed half of the season (ankle). However, before he got hurt he was putting up monster #s

2005- Only played 23 games.

See a patter? you can't go into a season w/o a backup plan for Frank. Frank will be back. But KW knows that we need a 2nd option- just in case. He obviously can't cost higher than $4-5 million/ year. So why not go after a Piazza? We can probably sign him for about $4 mill/year for about 2 seasons. In the Cell he can really jack the ball out of the yard.

Pods LF

Damon RF

Dye 1B

Thomas/Piazza DH

Pierzynski C

Iguchi 2B

Rowand CF

Crede 3B

Uribe Ss

Durazo can be the "safety valve" if Frank gets hurt!

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
Simply put offering Carl a new deal will cost the Sox far less than signing either Piazza or Nomar.  Piazza to the Sox is pure fantasy.

Carl will get 3-4 million, Piazza may only get 2 million although he could get some incentives. Nomar will probably get 4-6 million (if I were to guess) plus incentives.