Pierre to the Cubs?

redandwhite

ESPN Radio 1000 is reporting that the Cubs are close to acquiring Juan Pierre from the Marlins for a pair of minor leaguers.

No Corey Patterson? We hope the Cubs wouldn't give up Felix Pie for one year of Pierre. Parting with pitching prospects, say Rich Hill along with Sean Marshall or Renyel Pinto, would be preferable.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
Hendry doesn't give up talent, he'll end up fleecing the Marlins for Pierre, it's what he does.

Hendry's trademark is locating trading partners who, for whatever reason, are desperate to unload talent--mostly due to impending salary hikes.

If I'm Florida--especially Florida--I'm being absolutely sure to squeeze as much out of Hendry as humanly possible. Hendry too has to remain cautious not to give up another raw talent, such as Dontrelle Willis.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
Hendry's trademark is locating trading partners who, for whatever reason, are desperate to unload talent--mostly due to impending salary hikes.

You forgot trading players when their values are at their lowest point.

Hundley, Hawkins, Sosa, Cruz and now probably Patterson.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
A lead off guy who doesn't walk all that much and a career OPS of .730.

I get a kick out of how they are trying to steal the Sox formula for success. THEY STILL NEED A BULLPEN!!!

Pierre can hit, he had a down year last year but he's been a pretty damn good leadoff man for most of his career.

Pierre was simply huge for them in the 03 playoffs. That said, when you have a 400 obp guy like Luis Castillo, you can deal from strength and pare some payroll by trading Juan. I also guess they must think that an offseason of rest will help Castillo regain his hip strength. When Pierre was moved down to 7th in the order, he really was hurting the team production wise. I'd be stunned if they got Pie but Rich Hill would still be a nice pickup for the Marlins. The Yanks probably don't have a Rich Hill

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
I also didn't think much of the Jason Dubois for Gerut for Lawton for Berg set of moves.  In the end, it seemed pretty pointless to me.

I'll admit that I actually loved the moves.

I have no idea about how good Berg is - but, to me, I think he viewed Dubois as useless in the NL. I didn't understand the Gerut at the time, but Lawton had been huge all year up to that point, probably a top 3-5 leadoff hitter in the NL. He put his offense in a positoin to go on a roll. Lawton sucked, and when he found his team dead, he ultimately got a young pitcher for a player in the beginning he felt had no use for.

We all know how the Lawton steroid s*** occurred later on, and so by trading him, whether he knew Lawton was on roids or not, he avoided any potential controversy within the clubhouse.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
I'll admit that I actually loved the moves.

I have no idea about how good Berg is - but, to me, I think he viewed Dubois as useless in the NL.  I didn't understand the Gerut at the time, but Lawton had been huge all year up to that point, probably a top 3-5 leadoff hitter in the NL.  He put his offense in a positoin to go on a roll.  Lawton sucked, and when he found his team dead, he ultimately got a young pitcher for a player in the beginning he felt had no use for.

We all know how the Lawton steroid s*** occurred later on, and so by trading him, whether he knew Lawton was on roids or not, he avoided any potential controversy within the clubhouse.

Yes but Lawton was such a bust that they had to trade him. Had he played well he wouldn't be traded.

Hendry is one of the most overrated GM's. The guy have pretty much made 2 good move trading with the cubs minor league affiliate the Pirates, and aquiring D Lee. The rest of his moves have been terrible. Look at what he has done to a team that had pretty decent chemistry, an OK bullpen, and a good shot at the playoffs. The cubs have been in free fall for the last two years, and I see the trend continuing. He carries much of the blame. Until he adresses his real weaknesses-fundamentals, BULLPEN, Starting rotation, defense, the team will continue to struggle.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
Hendry is one of the most overrated GM's.  The guy have pretty much made 2 good move trading with the cubs minor league affiliate the Pirates, and aquiring D Lee.  The rest of his moves have been terrible.  Look at what he has done to a team that had pretty decent chemistry, an OK bullpen, and a good shot at the playoffs.  The cubs have been in free fall for the last two years, and I see the trend continuing.  He carries much of the blame.  Until he adresses his real weaknesses-fundamentals, BULLPEN, Starting rotation, defense, the team will continue to struggle.

agreed. Everybody kisses his ass for no reason. Give me KW anyday.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
agreed.  Everybody kisses his ass for no reason.  Give me KW anyday.

After a dissapointing Season, both team on both sides of town try to reconstruct their teams.

KW picks up Pods, Dye, AJP, Gooch, El Duque, Count (last year), Jenks, Viz.

Hendry picks up-Burnitz, Blanco (?), Hairston

Cubs get worse

Sox win WS

Hendry sucks.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
I disagree about Hendry. I think he is an excellent GM. You can't dismiss the Lee/Ramirez pickups. Those are ginormous acquisitions. I hate the Cubs but he's pretty good

Ginormous? Sure, he made 2 good deals, from a team that basically the cubs fleece every year. He successfully solidified the corners in the IF for years to come. Of course, he hasnt done that with the middle IF, the entire OF, the bullpen, the starting staff, and the guys behind the plate.

How many teams have added a top 3 MVP candidate (for a platoon first baseman) and he got a 35-40 hr guy at third. Has he had stuff that hasn't worked? Sure. But you can't just say his moves for the other two were "good". I think you need to be more objective about this. Consider the Nomar gamble too. Didn't work but it was very creative and they didn't give up much. Heck, getting Murton as a throw in was outstanding

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
How many teams have added a top 3 MVP candidate (for a platoon first baseman) and he got a 35-40 hr guy at third. Has he had stuff that hasn't worked? Sure. But you can't just say his moves for the other two were "good".  I think you need to be more objective about this. Consider the Nomar gamble too. Didn't work but it was very creative and they didn't give up much. Heck, getting Murton as a throw in was outstanding

They were good moves, im admitting that. Lee was a great aquisition, and A-ram was good. Its the lack of moves he has made since that, which are going to be his legacy. He has shown no knowledge of building a team quite yet. Look at the way he filled in his team last offseason. Come on. The guy is avg at best.