Best Songs Ever

sox4lifeinPA

Ok posers, I don't want unworthy songs in this thread. :bringit

This will probably get me some looks, but I think "Thank U" by Alanis Morrisette is one of the best produced/lyrical/melodical songs ever.

come people, and the first person to say anything about the beatles loses.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
Sitting on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding.

Although a wonderful piece of music, I don't think it really captured the range or emotion that Otis had in what he did. Check out the Soul Album by him. Sometimes, I turn the lights down low grab an adult beverage and put the needle on the record and just listen to that.

Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson. You can't beat that tune for anything. It has the hooks, it has the energy, it has the vocals. It has been covered a few times, but nobody comes close to the original.

Kayleigh/Lavender/Bitter Suite - Marillion. It's part of their concept album, so all three run together, but most of us fans view them pretty much as one song, as the theme in music continues in the last section.

Train In Vain - The Clash. I'm amazed that I have seen this song slammed on here. It might not be the blistering PUNK that The Clash had done in the past, but it is an amazing song regardless with some of the best lyrics and greatest double tracked vocals ever commited to vinyl. You want perfect emotion in vocals, this song has it all over.

Sometime To Return - Soul Asylum. Perfection, plain and simple. The song roars along and doesn't give you anytime to relax. This was such a great band who should have stayed broken up. But money from a Major Label suckered them to reform, and well...yeah...

I Was Wrong - Social Distortion. Pure brilliance, pure honesty. You want to hear what it's like when somebody lets their soul bleed, this song is it.

Miss Judy's Farm - Faces. When they come out of the break, and Kenny Jones tears it up on the drums, no other band at this time had that kind of intensity.

You're My Girl - Faces. The only evidence really needed to prove that they were indeed the greatest Rock N Roll band to ever exist. (I'm aware this is a cover...but their version is the one I am talking about for being amazing)

Race Against Time - Charged GBH. It starts the Leather, Bristles, Studs and Acne album off, and man, what a start! You hear the tape start, and then Colin yells "GO!", and the drums kick in, from there on out, it's all a case of pure intensity. Even once the drums stop on the beginning, it's just a calm before the storm.

This Ain't Called Anything Yet - Soho Roses. Not familiar with Soho? Not surprised. They were a Glam/Punk band in the late 80's in the UK. 2 EP's and a full length is all they put out. This song closes out the LP Third and Final Insult. They knew this was all they would do, as they broke up right after it was released. A blistering ditty in the stylings of The Buzzcocks hanging with The Rolling Stones.

Solid Gold Easy Action - T-Rex. Easily the greatest, truest, most perfect Glam song ever written and or recorded. T-Rex had so many great songs, but this one is easily at the top for me.

Supper's Ready - Genesis. 20+ minutes, hooks all over the place in the music and in the vocals, and killer lyrics. Beautiful and vicious all within the same song. Prog Rock can be seriously pretentious, but it can also turn out some amazing music, and this song is that proof.

Behind The Crooked Cross - Slayer. Streamlined, quick, powerful, and intense. Whatever you do, DON'T play this thing when driving the interstate! You will get a ticket for sure.

The Eliminator - Agnostic Front. From the beginning guitar drop, this song blazes. Pure venom, and pure fighting music. Why do people play stuff like AC/DC and bands of that sort to get worked up, when stuff of this sort exists?

Shall I keep going? :D Too many bands in this world and through time to narrow this down easily. I have a bunch more, but these are the ones that spring to mind.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

For the time period it was written in, it can still be applied today, plus he was one of the greatest singers everrrrr.

I love that album. Real groundbreaking stuff at the time. First time Motown really let a singer talk about those kind of issues and really proved Marvin Gaye a true artist.

Lately, I've been all about "When Did You Stop Loving Me? When Did I Stop Loving You?" from 1978. It's the most bitter pop single of the 1970s, singing about his bitter divorce. It was the lead single from the album "Here, My Dear" an album that he was required to give the proceeds of to his now ex-wife as part of the divorce settlement. The album was pretty much entirely about their failed relationship.

Gaye married Berry Gordy's daughter (or was it sister) in the early 1960's and it helped keep him at Motown despite a slow slow start for the singer on that label.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
Train In Vain - The Clash. I'm amazed that I have seen this song slammed on here. It might not be the blistering PUNK that The Clash had done in the past, but it is an amazing song regardless with some of the best lyrics and greatest double tracked vocals ever commited to vinyl. You want perfect emotion in vocals, this song has it all over.

Totally agree.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
The Eliminator - Agnostic Front. From the beginning guitar drop, this song blazes. Pure venom, and pure fighting music. Why do people play stuff like AC/DC and bands of that sort to get worked up, when stuff of this sort exists?

Absof***inglutely, Agnostic Front has long been a favorite of mine just becuase of the pure power that their music gives off. Before every football or baseball game I played in for the past 6 years I'd pop my Victim in Pain/Cause for Alarm CD into my walkman and zone out. The only other album that could get me going like that is "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet" by Avenged Sevenfold.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
Totally agree.

Absof***inglutely, Agnostic Front has long been a favorite of mine just becuase of the pure power that their music gives off. Before every football or baseball game I played in for the past 6 years I'd pop my Victim in Pain/Cause for Alarm CD into my walkman and zone out. The only other album that could get me going like that is "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet" by Avenged Sevenfold.

Cause For Alarm was the most badass record at that time! I remember buying it on it's release and just staring at by stereo, mouth agape, and in awe of what poured out of those speakers. "Toxic Shock", phew...wow. "Public Assistance", dangerous lyrics, but it gained them a bit of fame and really got a message out there with the following talk show circuit that Stigma and Miret ended up on.

The other album from that time that was just as good was The Cro-Mags Age Of Quarrel. Neither band ever matched those albums. Miret also had something weird happen to his voice, and he never gained back what made him so great on CFA.

Definitely not one of the best ever, but one of the best songs I've heard in the past year or so is 100 years by Five for Fighting.

Good lyrics, good music, I could never get tired of hearing this song and I don't even really like Five for Fighting.

Makes you appreciate what it felt like being younger and care free (and I talk like I am that old)

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson. You can't beat that tune for anything. It has the hooks, it has the energy, it has the vocals. It has been covered a few times, but nobody comes close to the original.

Kayleigh/Lavender/Bitter Suite - Marillion. It's part of their concept album, so all three run together, but most of us fans view them pretty much as one song, as the theme in music continues in the last section.

Sometime To Return - Soul Asylum. Perfection, plain and simple. The song roars along and doesn't give you anytime to relax. This was such a great band who should have stayed broken up. But money from a Major Label suckered them to reform, and well...yeah...

I Was Wrong - Social Distortion. Pure brilliance, pure honesty. You want to hear what it's like when somebody lets their soul bleed, this song is it.

Miss Judy's Farm - Faces. When they come out of the break, and Kenny Jones tears it up on the drums, no other band at this time had that kind of intensity.

You're My Girl - Faces. The only evidence really needed to prove that they were indeed the greatest Rock N Roll band to ever exist. (I'm aware this is a cover...but their version is the one I am talking about for being amazing)

Race Against Time - Charged GBH. It starts the Leather, Bristles, Studs and Acne album off, and man, what a start! You hear the tape start, and then Colin yells "GO!", and the drums kick in, from there on out, it's all a case of pure intensity. Even once the drums stop on the beginning, it's just a calm before the storm.

This Ain't Called Anything Yet - Soho Roses. Not familiar with Soho? Not surprised. They were a Glam/Punk band in the late 80's in the UK. 2 EP's and a full length is all they put out. This song closes out the LP Third and Final Insult. They knew this was all they would do, as they broke up right after it was released. A blistering ditty in the stylings of The Buzzcocks hanging with The Rolling Stones.

Solid Gold Easy Action - T-Rex. Easily the greatest, truest, most perfect Glam song ever written and or recorded. T-Rex had so many great songs, but this one is easily at the top for me.

Supper's Ready - Genesis. 20+ minutes, hooks all over the place in the music and in the vocals, and killer lyrics. Beautiful and vicious all within the same song. Prog Rock can be seriously pretentious, but it can also turn out some amazing music, and this song is that proof.

Behind The Crooked Cross - Slayer. Streamlined, quick, powerful, and intense. Whatever you do, DON'T play this thing when driving the interstate! You will get a ticket for sure.

Shall I keep going?  :D  Too many bands in this world and through time to narrow this down easily. I have a bunch more, but these are the ones that spring to mind.

This is not meant as a slam, and I'm not looking to fight :cheers , but...everytime I see a list of songs that someone has on their iPod it looks like this. A bunch of songs by a bunch of bands that I've never heard. What, nobody listens to U2? Nobody likes to throw in the Rolling Stones Greatest Hits? Ever heard of Willie Nelson? Wasn't "Appetite for Destruction" as important to anyone else as it was to me?

That said, I wish I had the pc knowledge and power to download the songs on your list. I'd like to give them a spin.

Oh, and "What's Goin' On?" is an awesome song. It will remain pertinent for eternity.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
This is not meant as a slam, and I'm not looking to fight :cheers , but...everytime I see a list of songs that someone has on their iPod it looks like this.  A bunch of songs by a bunch of bands that I've never heard.  What, nobody listens to U2?  Nobody likes to throw in the Rolling Stones Greatest Hits?  Ever heard of Willie Nelson?  Wasn't "Appetite for Destruction" as important to anyone else as it was to me?

That said, I wish I had the pc knowledge and power to download the songs on your list.  I'd like to give them a spin.

Oh, and "What's Goin' On?" is an awesome song.  It will remain pertinent for eternity.

Genesis, T-Rex, Clash, Smokey, Faces (Rod and Ron), all seem pretty mainstream to an old guy.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
Genesis, T-Rex, Clash, Smokey, Faces (Rod and Ron),  all seem pretty mainstream to an old guy.

Well, some of those aren't exactly the songs you'll typically hear on the radio from these artists. I will say, though, that I probably know some of these songs and don't recognize the song title. (Think "Teenage Wasteland" vs. "Baba O'Reilly"). Again, my point was NOT to criticize KG's post. I'm a top 40 kind of guy, anyway, so my list of favorite songs would be pretty embarrassing. Full of early '80s British synth-pop like ABC. :ph34r:

:snr

They play a re-mix of "In the Air Tonight" by Genesis here in Phoenix that is truly awful, though.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
Well, some of those aren't exactly the songs you'll typically hear on the radio from these artists.  I will say, though, that I probably know some of these songs and don't recognize the song title.  (Think "Teenage Wasteland" vs. "Baba O'Reilly"). Again, my point was NOT to criticize KG's post.  I'm a top 40 kind of guy, anyway, so my list of favorite songs would be pretty embarrassing.  Full of early '80s British synth-pop like ABC. :ph34r:

:snr

They play a re-mix of "In the Air Tonight" by Genesis here in Phoenix that is truly awful, though.

I think we all wind up with favorites on albums (cd) from artist precisely because they aren't pounded to death by radio.

I always liked Refuge by Tom Petty, but Ethridge's version really kicks ass.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
I think we all wind up with favorites on albums (cd) from artist precisely because they aren't pounded to death by radio.

I always liked Refuge by Tom Petty, but Ethridge's version really kicks ass.

Anyone who can make a lyric out of, Who knows, maybe you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away, and held for ransom, deserves major props.

Damn the Torpedoes, I [HEART] Heartbreakers!