Charlie Steiner interested in White Sox job

Fenway

I had occasion to work at the Harvard/Yale game Saturday which was produced by WGN for their Boston and New York WB stations. Play by Play was done by Charlie Steiner and was able to talk to him for a few minutes.

His contract with the Dodgers allows him to leave if a #1 slot opens up and he said his agent has been talking to Infinity about both the White Sox and Mets radio jobs.

He talked about how working with Scully is "weird", as Vin works in his own private booth with not even an engineer with him.

He also confirmed that Infinity really wants Mike North involved in some way as they feel it will increase ratings for the morning show on WSCR.

QUOTE(Fenway @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
I had occasion to work at the Harvard/Yale game Saturday which was produced by WGN for their Boston and New York WB stations. Play by Play was done by Charlie Steiner and was able to talk to him for a few minutes.

His contract with the Dodgers allows him to leave if a #1 slot opens up and he said his agent has been talking to Infinity about both the White Sox and Mets radio jobs.

He talked about how working with Scully is "weird", as Vin works in his own private booth with not even an engineer with him.

He also confirmed that Infinity really wants Mike North involved in some way as they feel it will increase ratings for the morning show on WSCR.

If North hosts pre or post I'm going to call in all the time and tell him to resign from his spot.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
He'd be a good candidate.  When did he leave the Yankees?  I know he went from ESPN to NY.  I never knew he was in LA.

From what I understand, Farmer is implanted as PBP, I don't see Steiner taking less money to leave LA to go to the White Sox. The Mets could offer him a better deal though. As far as Steiner goes, this last season was his first with the Dodgers.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
He'd be a good candidate.  When did he leave the Yankees?  I know he went from ESPN to NY.  I never knew he was in LA.

Steiner never got along with John Sterling on WCBS and then the final straw came when George decided that Suzan Waldman had to be in the radio booth.

I asked Charlie about Frank McCourt and he wouldn't bite except to say the family is very hands on.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
Why didn't they get rid of Farmer and keep Rooney.  That would have been nice.

WSCR couldnt offer him any more money than he was making on ESPN. His new deal in St. Louis just about doubled his salary.