Josh Beckett

GreatScott82

According to Jayson Stark:

"Contrary to numerous reports, the Texas Rangers aren't the leading contender to land Marlins starter Josh Beckett in a package deal with third baseman Mike Lowell.

Josh Beckett

Starting Pitcher

Florida Marlins

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM W L BB K ERA

29 15 8 58 166 3.38

According to baseball officials who have been in contact with Florida, the Marlins have two other potential deals -- with Boston and an unnamed "mystery" team"

could that mistery team be the White Sox? KW loves flying under that radar. But we are maxed out at pitching. Unless this is the first of a chain of events happening. Like #1 Beckett and Pierre for Rowand and top prospect.

#2 White Sox trade Garland and prospect to Phils for Thome?

I dunno im probably overthinking this situation.

If the Sox traded Rowand and a prospect for 2 of Florida's biggest offseason chips, and then traded Garland straight up for Thome, I would snap.

I want Pierre, and while I like Beckett, the rotation is set into place right now. There is no need for Beckett. And there is no way in hell Florida does that to begin with either, knowing that they can get Blalock AND stud pitching prospect for atleast Beckett, and with Texas perhaps picking up Lowell for next year too.

And Garland for Thome is straight up robbery by Philly. A 36 year old-to-be in August who has an ugly contract for a guy that just finally put it together?

I would consider Garland for Teix, and even then I may not even consider that, knowing Teix's agent is Boras and that he's gone in a couple years anyways.

My money is on the St. Louis Cardinals as the mystery team. They will use Lowell in left, bench or spin him. I'd bet on them to be involved as they were the surprise of the Burnett sweepstakes so you know they have interest in a power pitcher and want to spend more money than most had thought

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
My money is on the St. Louis Cardinals as the mystery team. They will use Lowell in left, bench or spin him. I'd bet on them to be involved as they were the surprise of the Burnett sweepstakes so you know they have interest in a power pitcher and want to spend more money than most had thought

That would make some sense...they could also use a backup 3b in case Rolen goes down again, as it seems he may do fairly often.

And on the Dodger question...let's not forget that the Dodgers have one of the best minor leagues in baseball right now...if they wanted to make deals, they have plenty of pieces.

Gammons is steering the trade to the Red Sox. Beckett and Lowell to the Red Sox for a mix of players headed by Jon Papelbon.

edit: not Papelbon, he could be included, but most likely Anibel Sanchez and Hanley Ramirez and the ever famous PTBNL

Edited by kyyle23

The more I look, the More I agree with Milkman about Hanley Ramirez...I've heard that name for like 2 years now but nothing I've seen justifies the hype yet...the Red Sox may very well be trying to use him as trade bait while he still has value left, especially since they have Renteria in a basically un-tradeable contract for 3 years.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
It's the Red Sox, folks.  Yippee.  The rich get richer.

One could have said the same thing last season when the Yankees went out and bought themselves a couple of pitchers, 1 from the Marlins, with nasty injury histories and questions about their reliability.

Look what it got them.

Don't underestimate the possibility tha thte Bosox will end up regretting this for injury-related reasons.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)
One could have said the same thing last season when the Yankees went out and bought themselves a couple of pitchers, 1 from the Marlins, with nasty injury histories and questions about their reliability.

Look what it got them.

Don't underestimate the possibility tha thte Bosox will end up regretting this for injury-related reasons.

blisters anyone?

QUOTE(Wedge @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 01:26 AM)
No idea who made this trade within the Red Sox organization.  That's an interesting question alone. I think this'll end up like the Pavano deal and I'm not too sure this ends so well for the Red Sox.

i'd guess lucchino had the lead.