Bill Mueller To Sox?

Pasqua's Mailman

According to Peter Gammons Insider column on ESPN, the White Sox are rumored to getting Bill Mueller...

The gamble for Boston is Lowell, who at 31 dropped to a .236 batting average with eight homers after averaging .285 with 30 homers, 95 RBI and an .875 OPS the previous two seasons. But his character, his Gold Glove award and encouragement that 2005 was simply an off year led Boston to take him to get Beckett. Kevin Youkilis may now play first, with Bill Mueller being a free agent and rumored to be headed to the White Sox.
Edited by Pasqua's Mailman

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
It's been said that our management is a bit worried about Joe's back.

This is true, I still don't like Bill Mueller. The only problem is there's really no other decent insurance policy for Crede out there other than Bill. I guess if Joe's back is really a problem we could do a lot worse than Bill Mueller.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
This is true, I still don't like Bill Mueller. The only problem is there's really no other decent insurance policy for Crede out there other than Bill. I guess if Joe's back is really a problem we could do a lot worse than Bill Mueller.

I've always been a fan of Mueller's bat. That being said I'd rather have Joe be our starting 3 bagger but if his back is a problem then this is definitely something to look into.

I love Mueller...but not as a backup, and I'd rather have Crede starting over Mueller.

I also don't think you can trade the playoff hero unless there were to be some sort of problem elsewhere with him...like for instance, contractual negotiations...and even then, I'm not sure you can.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of signing Mueller...I'll say that at the very least.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 12:15 AM)
I love Mueller...but not as a backup, and I'd rather have Crede starting over Mueller.

I also don't think you can trade the playoff hero unless there were to be some sort of problem elsewhere with him...like for instance, contractual negotiations...and even then, I'm not sure you can.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of signing Mueller...I'll say that at the very least.

If the Sox do sign Mueller it's cause of Joe's back. There have been talks that upper management was worried about his back and that's why Mueller has come up.

Mueller would be nice to have as a guy to spell Crede and Iguchi -- he did play 2B not so recently, correct? Or is that just Bellhorn?

If he did play 2B -- and came for $3-4 million, I wouldn't mind it. Ozzie plays his backups enough to the point where we should have a solid bench. I think he'd get enough starts for it to be worth it.

Of course -- I'm not sure that he can play 2B, and I doubt he'd come so cheap.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
If the Sox do sign Mueller it's cause of Joe's back.  There have been talks that upper management was worried about his back and that's why Mueller has come up.

So sign someone a little more cost effecient. Bring in Wes Helms, bring back Jose, hell, BRING BACK MILKMAN.

At the price, I think I would probably prefer all of the above over Bill Mueller at 3-5 mill a year. The Sox payroll will increase next year, but it's not like it's gonna be to the point where they can just free-willingly bring and have 3 mill insurance policies and 4 mill relievers(oh wait)

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
Mueller would be nice to have as a guy to spell Crede and Iguchi -- he did play 2B not so recently, correct?  Or is that just Bellhorn?

If he did play 2B -- and came for $3-4 million, I wouldn't mind it.  Ozzie plays his backups enough to the point where we should have a solid bench.  I think he'd get enough starts for it to be worth it.

Of course -- I'm not sure that he can play 2B, and I doubt he'd come so cheap.

He played 5 games at 2nd last year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 06:25 AM)
14 games in '04 and 10 in '03.

So would it be fair to say he could/can handle 30 games per year there? And another -- I dunno, 40-50 at third? If he could spell Crede and Iguchi, and come at a reasonable price, I'd love to see Mueller here.

But, that seems like it could blow up if one starts b****ing about being the 'full-time' starter. And, it might cost us a draft pick if Boston offers Mueller arbitration.

I'm on the fence.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
So would it be fair to say he could/can handle 30 games per year there?  And another -- I dunno, 40-50 at third?  If he could spell Crede and Iguchi, and come at a reasonable price, I'd love to see Mueller here.

But, that seems like it could blow up if one starts b****ing about being the 'full-time' starter.  And, it might cost us a draft pick if Boston offers Mueller arbitration.

I'm on the fence.

Without looking at statistics i don't believe mueller has ever been very good at second.... just as he isn't at third... Whenever i see him at second he looks very out of place, uncomfortable if you will.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
I understand that some people on this board (including Jason) love Bill Mueller. I am not one of those people, if we sign him to play everyday at 3B or 1B I will be pissed.

If he is signed it tells me that the Sox are not comfortable with Joe's back. However, I don't really see this as a bad signing, if he signs on for the right price. He's a great insurance plan and could spell Crede at 3rd, but more importantly he could spell Iguchi at 2nd. I am semi worried about Iguchi really regressing. I don't know if he just wore out or if pitchers made an adjustment in the 2nd half of the season, but the later it went the worse he seemed to play.

Of course Guchi is a smart hitter and he'll be much more comfortable this year (plus he'll have a full off-season of watching film and getting more familiar with the league) to the point that he may explode next year (.300/20/80). I don't mind having the depth of Mueller.

Mueller is a solid defensive 3rd baseman who is a good slap hitter (and would make a very good 2 hole hitter if Crede or Guchi went down or struggled). Plus its a solid insurance plan if Konerko went down or if the Sox weren't able to find a DH (although I would cringe at the thought of Mueller starting at 1st, unless the Sox found some serious power for DH).

Still I don't see him signing for 2 mill (which is about the most I could see the Sox paying a utility guy). Unless of course he just really wants to come to the Sox and feels he'd be a good contributor (or if there isn't the type of market I think there will be for him). He's a smart baseball player, nothing great, but he's smart and would be an asset off the bench, imo.

As an everyday player I wouldn't have a problem, if it weren't for the fact that Crede really seems to have figured things out (or at least I think you could make a case for that, which means you could expect a breakout .280 25-30 80-90 year from him given the right circumstances) and quite frankly when your built on pitching you want to field the best defensive lineup you can (which is one of the reasons for the most part I'm utterly against dealing Rowand). I'd rather find a way to resign Paulie and land our DH without dealing Aaron.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
De Fense Clap Clap.

Check their stats, clap clap clap.

Bill Mueller .786 ZR, RF 2.62, .972 FP

vs

Joe Crede ..799 ZR, RF 2.72, .971 FP

Bill is not a butcher at 3rd, Joe maybe better. But for the more consistant offense, and left handed stick. Its not like we are putting Ross Gload over at 3rd with a right handed glove.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
Check their stats, clap clap clap.

Bill Mueller  .786 ZR, RF 2.62, .972 FP

vs

Joe Crede    ..799 ZR, RF 2.72, .971 FP

Bill is not a butcher at 3rd, Joe maybe better.  But for the more consistant offense, and left handed stick.  Its not like we are putting Ross Gload over at 3rd with a right handed glove.

Never said he was a butcher at 3rd but Joe is significantly better. Add that to the fact that Joe has more power and might have found his swing in the playoffs...I'll take me chances with Crede. I'm a big Mueller fan too.