"Manny is not returning to boston".

qwerty

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- One of baseball's most fearsome offensive duos -- the Boston Red Sox's David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez -- appears to be history.

According to Ortiz, "Manny is not returning to Boston."

"Manny is living through a difficult situation [in Boston] that only he and his family know, and he no longer wants to play there," said Ortiz after arriving early Monday in the Dominican Republic.

Ramirez has asked for a trade in each of his five seasons with the Red Sox, but apparently this one is definite.

"I spoke with him last week before he left for Brazil and he told me that he wants to go to a team in the West," Ortiz, the Red Sox's designated hitter, said.

Ramirez has three years worth $160 million remaining on his contract with the Red Sox. Because of his status as a player with 10 seasons in the major leagues and five with the same team, he is allowed to approve any trade.

"I found out that that they are doing everything possible to trade him," Ortiz said.

The Los Angeles Angeles of Anaheim have been named as a possible destination for Ramirez, as well as the New York Mets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2233656

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
Would that actually be scarier than Ramirez and Ortiz back to back?  I dunno.

On paper, maybe, but after Vlad's performance in the ALCS this year I would go with Manny and Ortiz. I agree with what The Hawk said a few times this year that those two back to back in the late innings are absolutely scary.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
On paper, maybe, but after Vlad's performance in the ALCS this year I would go with Manny and Ortiz.  I agree with what The Hawk said a few times this year that those two back to back in the late innings are absolutely scary.

Taking away Vlad's playoff performance though, his season stats this season were really quite scary considering the amount of games he played.

So you could argue either way, but I think Vlad's just a little bit of a better hitter when they're both at their best, but that's JMHO.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
Would that actually be scarier than Ramirez and Ortiz back to back?  I dunno.

Is Ortiz half the hitter Vlad is without Manny?

Ortiz always looked like an inconsistent but monstrous hitter in Minnesota...I recall very well him hitting a homer with a broken hand back in 01 or 02. He loses the protection, and how is he going to fair?

Right now, with the Red Sox likely losing Manny, I either see them exploding ala 2001 Mariners, 01 Indians, 2005 White Sox, or suffering the fate of many a team before them of losing such a valuable bat in the middle of the lineup. Doesn't mean they can't get a valuable package for him though - you could see them reaping rewards not only from the trade itself, but with the money it will undoubtedly free up(ala the Caballo trade last year)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
Is Ortiz half the hitter Vlad is without Manny?

Ortiz always looked like an inconsistent but monstrous hitter in Minnesota...I recall very well him hitting a homer with a broken hand back in 01 or 02.  He loses the protection, and how is he going to fair?

Ortiz was one heck of a hitter the last 2 years hitting I believe behind Manny for much of the time.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
Podsednik  LF

Iguchi  2B

Manny  DH

Thome  1B

Dye  RF

Pierzynski  C

Crede  3B

Anderson  CF

Uribe  SS

:ph34r:

Podsednik LF

Iguchi 2B

Thome 1B

Manny DH

Dye RF

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Anderson CF

Uribe SS

Thome is a better #3 guy.

But, Manny would STILL cost more than Konerko, even if the Sox got the Sawks to pay a good portion of his salary.

Podsednik  LF

Iguchi  2B

Thome  1B

Manny  DH

Dye  RF

Pierzynski  C

Crede  3B

Anderson  CF

Uribe  SS

Thome is a better #3 guy.

But, Manny would STILL cost more than Konerko, even if the Sox got the Sawks to pay a good portion of his salary.

Not that we will ever get Manny but I disagree. Thome is a .281 career hitter. Manny is a .314 career hitter. You want your best hitter in the 3-hole. That would be Manny.

I am not sure how much Manny would help Vlad with protection, were Manny to hit 4th. Vlad is one of those guys who doesn't walk much anyways and you wouldn't feel obligated to throw him strikes to get him to swing. Manny hitting third still leaves Manny with pretty decent protection, maybe not quite as much. We'll see what Ortiz does when he has a Varitek, Kotchman, or someone of that caliber around him in the order. Ortiz is slightly more dangerous of a hitter to me with Manny but thats partly because of the R-L dynamic.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
I don't want Manny on the team. I think he's a clubhouse cancer and we don't need another former Indian on our team.

Clubhouse cancer? The guy has won everywhere he's been! He's a great guy in the clubhouse if anything, always having fun, always keeping it loose, and always producing. You can't ask for much more.

He appears to me to be lazy, and a bit shy. He wants to get out of the public eye, which is basically Boston or New York, so he can be a bit more comfortable.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
Clubhouse cancer?  The guy has won everywhere he's been!  He's a great guy in the clubhouse if anything, always having fun, always keeping it loose, and always producing.  You can't ask for much more. 

He appears to me to be lazy, and a bit shy.  He wants to get out of the public eye, which is basically Boston or New York, so he can be a bit more comfortable.

He's been on 2 different teams. The Indians had success before he reached his prime, as for the Red Sox, I certainly hope they win with the payroll they have.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
He's been on 2 different teams. The Indians had success before he reached his prime, as for the Red Sox, I certainly hope they win with the payroll they have.

And the Indians had success with him hitting in the middle of their order during the late 90s.

Also, teams like the Rangers and Mets still have payrolls well up over $100 mill and finish in the middle of the division. Manny was the biggest bat in the Boston lineup and was the most valuable bat, due to his protection of Ortiz in the lineup and his numbers alone.

Regardless...he's not a cancer by any means. The guy hits the hell out of the ball no matter where he plays and he's great in the clubhouse..

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
And the Indians had success with him hitting in the middle of their order during the late 90s. 

Also, teams like the Rangers and Mets still have payrolls well up over $100 mill and finish in the middle of the division.  Manny was the biggest bat in the Boston lineup and was the most valuable bat, due to his protection of Ortiz in the lineup and his numbers alone. 

According to This page, the Rangers Payroll last year was roughly $56 million at the start of the season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
According to This page, the Rangers Payroll last year was roughly $56 million at the start of the season.

Well they still blew with these payrolls.