"Manny is not returning to boston".

qwerty

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
According to This page, the Rangers Payroll last year was roughly $56 million at the start of the season.

I lied a little bit then. They still had huge payrolls and were losing like crazy though too, as qwerty pointed out.

You can also look at the Dodgers as a team with a huge payroll from a couple years back that ended up losing quite a bit. I tend to think it was 02 or 03 where they spent in the upwards of $100 mill or so and were pretty bad.

And the Cubs haven't been awesome the past couple years with huge payrolls either. 2003 they were pretty good, but they went into the crapper pretty quickly.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 05:31 PM)
I lied a little bit then.  They still had huge payrolls and were losing like crazy though too, as qwerty pointed out. 

You can also look at the Dodgers as a team with a huge payroll from a couple years back that ended up losing quite a bit.  I tend to think it was 02 or 03 where they spent in the upwards of $100 mill or so and were pretty bad. 

And the Cubs haven't been awesome the past couple years with huge payrolls either.  2003 they were pretty good, but they went into the crapper pretty quickly.

4 letters. AROD.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
if the angels do ink konerko, i think you can throw those earlier kenny williams comments out the door. 

in other words, i believe the white sox will be big players for ramirez if konerko doesn't resign.

Unless the Red Sox plan on picking up at least half of that contract, the Sox wouldn't even listen. Plus when you add in that they might have picked up controversial players in the past such as Belle and Everett, but none of those guys ever had the lazy label. Manny is not a fit for the White Sox, both because of the money and his work ethic.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
if the angels do ink konerko, i think you can throw those earlier kenny williams comments out the door. 

in other words, i believe the white sox will be big players for ramirez if konerko doesn't resign.

That's an interesting thought. Are you hearing things in BoSox Nation or is this a hunch?

Even if we were interested in Manny, it would cost us more than just prospects to get him. We are talking about a guy who is almost certainly one of the top 5 hitters in baseball, regardless of his contract situation or attitude. Consider that in the past he was the centerpiece of an A-Rod deal. Even when it was rumored that he was going to the Mets in that 3-way deal, they were getting Huff and most if not all of the salary was being eaten. They'd almost certainly want one of our starting pitchers in return. However, if he continues to be a massive pain in the ass and they get desperate, you might have a T.O. like situation where almost anyone willing to take a risk could get him cheap. His antics would have to escalate quite a bit though.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

More news;

Industry sources told the Boston Globe that the Rangers yesterday called the Red Sox with interest in Manny Ramirez deal built around Alfonso Soriano.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram is apparently set to deny the report, but the Globe says the teams will have discussions at the winter meetings. According to Red Sox assistant GM Jed Hoyer, Ramírez has attracted "strong" interest from five teams and inquiries from more than a dozen clubs. Dec. 3 - 3:35 am et