White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

QUOTE(Reddy @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
chemistry's a real thing dude.  last year there is NO WAY we're the most talented team in baseball - but chemistry, good managing and pitching got us all the way.  cant be denied

I understand that, but losing Rowand and gaining Thome will not negatively affect the chemistry. These are grown men and professionals. They can handle not playing with their friends.

It's not like Thome is Terrel Owens.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best part of this deal(as far as I can see) is that Contreras and BMAC were not part of it. That was my biggest fear, is that the Sox were going to overpay for Thome(HEY, that rhymes!). But if this is the deal, then KW pulled a fast one on Philly.

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
did you see how Brian was acting during Pods walkoff (see new DVD) It seems like he is great in the clubhouse. I am not worried about this at all, Chemistry might even be better now that Carl is gone. I love this trade and Kenny is a genius! It looks like back 2 back for us!

Carl was regarded as a clubhouse leader. He says some crazy stuff but it seems like his teammates did respect him.

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
did you see how Brian was acting during Pods walkoff (see new DVD) It seems like he is great in the clubhouse. I am not worried about this at all, Chemistry might even be better now that Carl is gone. I love this trade and Kenny is a genius! It looks like back 2 back for us!

I totally disagree. Did you see who BA was jumping up and down with and talking to in the dugout. Yeah, I thought so . . .

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
Rowand was expendable and with the seemingly high upside that Anderson has, this is a great trade. In the long run BA could very well turn out to be better than Rowand, I don't necessarily buy into this but it certainly makes this trade worth the risk.

I agree. I can understand why people are upset, but at best Rowand would be here one more year. We have a log jam of OFers and all have better potential than Rowand.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
Anybody thinks this trade is made if Rowand had,  had a 2004 like season in 05?  Not that it really matters.  Just curious.

Good hypothetical. I am thinking the trade is still made though, although the product going Philly's way would have been less IMO. I think his good season would equalize the deal a little more.

I think Philly is really going to like Rowand though. They love "nails"-type players.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
I think the best part of this deal(as far as I can see) is that Contreras and BMAC were not part of it.  That was my biggest fear, is that the Sox were going to overpay for Thome(HEY, that rhymes!).  But if this is the deal, then KW pulled a fast one on Philly.

The fact is that Thome coming off that piss poor season and his massive contract doesn't have that much more value than Rowand. Rowand's value is as high as it will ever be IMO...this trade could potentially be great. But even if Thome is a bust and never performs well I don't think this will ever be looked at as a ridiculously horrible trade. It is truly a low risk/high reward situation, at least the way I look at it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
I totally disagree. Did you see who BA was jumping up and down with and talking to in the dugout. Yeah, I thought so . . .

I saw he was talking to Arow, but he is a happy go lucky kid with a great personality. It will be like trading arow for a youger better arow, in my opinion. Plus adding a Thome. I still love it and i love BA's personality.

How can people not be excited? He's easily our best lefty power hitter ever, and almost everyone thinks he'll be healthy. I'm personally not worried a second about the clubhouse. Thome is a GREAT guy. As long as we didn't give up one of our 5 core starting pitchers or Chris Young, this is great.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
The fact is that Thome coming off that piss poor season and his massive contract doesn't have that much more value than Rowand. Rowand's value is as high as it will ever be IMO...this trade could potentially be great. But even if Thome is a bust and never performs well I don't think this will ever be looked at as a ridiculously horrible trade. It is truly a low risk/high reward situation, at least the way I look at it.

Not if his '06 is anything like his '04. If that is the case his value will be 100X what it is right now IMO.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)

I would characterize it more high risk/high return, given Thome's injuries... but I still think it's the smart move, as much as it hurts.

I have to assume KW got some sort of medical eval on Thome before doing the deal - or demanded one be completed before he signs on the dotted line.

Thome is a good club house guy. Hes know as one of the nicer guys in baseball. He grew up in IL. This is a smooth move. Now if we loose Konerko it wont be as harsh.

It saying that im gonna miss Rowand. Thanks for all the kick ass catchs in the outfield.