White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
AJP has seen this before when he was in a Twins uniform.  Also, the guys in the clubhouse know that Jim Thome is a wrecking ball in the batters box, they know what this means to this offense.  

The offseason has just begun, my interest is now piqued.

Well put. I know it's difficult to avoid, but constructing a perennial winner necessitates that a GM not "fall in love" with any one player. Decisions to keep players based on emotional factors usually turn out badly for the entire team. Decisions need to be made based upon needs. To that end, this is an excellent trade. The Sox get a big, strong power hitting left-handed bat in the middle of the order in exchange for a position player whose numbers can be replaced to an extent by in-house candidates for even less money. This also provides the Sox with the flexibility, if they choose, to trade for a speedster to play center and bat second in the line-up, allowing Tadahito to move down in the order and hit for more power. Assuming we sign Paulie, Thome also creates some flexibility for the line-up in that he can play first on occasion and allow Paulie to DH and get some rest.

I like Aaron too, but this is a very good trade for the Sox.

Edited by infohawk

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Not if his '06 is anything like his '04. If that is the case his value will be 100X what it is right now IMO.

There was a perfect storm of teams seeking CFers this year. Yankees, Boston, SD, Cubs, Phillies, etc... I don't think you'll see teams with the assets of those all in the market for a CFer in the same year for a while.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
I'm conflicted over this.  It definately improves the lineup.  But losing ARow is a tough blow to take.

If the cash considerations from Philly mean we can resign PK, then I guess this is the right thing to do.

We hang on to Konerko next season and we're going to win at least 100 games.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
What are Thome's stats at the Cell??

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/4762/s...er&type=Batting

G     AB   R   H     2B  3B   HR     RBI   BB   K     SB   CS AVG  
vs. CWS        122  420  87  124  22  2     41     107  80    125   3    1  .295
@Cell      58    210  43   60  8    2     18     50    34    69     1    1  .286

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Very interesting....Guess Philly really wanted out of that Thome deal....If Jim is healthy and Paulie resigns, the Sox have a great 1-2 punch in the middle of the order then :gosox1:

Will miss A-Row :crying so let's hope Brian Anderson can provide some stellar D!

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

G  AB  R  H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB  K  SB  CS  AVG  
vs. CWS        122  420  87  124  22  2  41  107  80  125  3  1  .295  .406  .650  1.056

Yeah, but he doesn't get to face Jim Parque anymore

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)

G  AB  R  H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB  K  SB  CS  AVG  
vs. CWS        122  420  87  124  22  2  41  107  80  125  3  1  .295  .406  .650  1.056

Good numbers as long as we keep in mind the pitching we had. Those numbers seem pretty clutch to me.

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

I'm going to say this right now...

I have a little brother who is 8 yrs. old. He does not know much about baseball but he does know who Aaron Rowand is. Aaron Rowand is his favorite baseball player. He has his baseball glove signed by Aaron Rowand!

He will not be a happy man when he comes home from school. I'm gonna have to hate to tell him the news...

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

G     AB   R   H     2B  3B   HR     RBI   BB   K     SB   CS AVG  
vs. CWS      122  420  87  124  22  2     41     107  80    125   3    1  .295

thats against the sox total, not just at the cell

Edited by toasty

Does this hurt the team...no...only in maybe chemistry and how it will effect Crede and AJ who formed the 3 Stooges...that is my only real concern. ARow had the most value in terms of a trade without disrupting the Sox lineup. Face it...he really wasn't a huge threat for that much of the year at the plate. Damn...I'll miss him though.

Good deal

I think this is fair for both sides. I am going to miss Rowand and he is going to be a great player.

I do not believe anyone can judge this trade or any trade this early. Look at the Lee deal and now tell me how it turned out. For all of you that are complaining of the trade please give it time and I for one appreciate everything Rowand has done for the organization and the city of Chicago.

I trust KW and he is doing what is best for the team. He has a player that can flat out hit and I would believe that Thome has a chip on his shoulder. He was pushed out of Philli for Howard and with all the injury talk he has a lot to prove. I will be buying my Thome jersey soon.

As I posted in another topic I believe Pierre is next.