Poll: Do you like the Rowand for Thome deal?

dmbjeff

Poll: Do you like the Rowand for Thome deal?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Do you like the Rowand for Thome deal?

• YES
    • NO

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for as much b****ing that i saw on the main thread, i thought more people would hate it cause they have a man crush on rowand....if thome is healthy, he is a stud and brian anderson can do the job in cf just as well if not better IMO

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
for as much b****ing that i saw on the main thread, i thought more people would hate it cause they have a man crush on rowand....if thome is healthy, he is a stud and brian anderson can do the job in cf just as well if not better IMO

I b****ed as much as anyone at the beginning of the main thread yet I voted yes in the poll. 2 hours makes quite a difference.

For it's immediate impact, I approve this trade. Never really held much attachment to Rowand, so his departure doesn't hurt. Don't know why, but I was more upset emotionally when news broke of the White Sox trading Olivo.

On Haigwood and Gonzalez's inclusion--Williams better be preparing himself to structure long term deals for Garland and Contreras (dependent on this season). Don't expect production from the minors in the pitching department for quite awhile.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
On Haigwood and Gonzalez's inclusion--Williams better be preparing himself to structure long term deals for Garland and Contreras (dependent on this season). Don't expect production from the minors in the pitching department for quite awhile.

that's a good point flash.

I voted yes....I'll miss A-Row's defense and personality but seeing as Thome absolutely destroyed the Sox, it'll be very nice to seem him crush other teams in a Sox uni....

I also think Kenny isn't done trading....If he can get Juan Pierre from FL for cheap (And Lord knows a bag of balls would do the trick nowadays for FL) the lineup would be very interesting if he also resigns Paulie:

Pods LF

Pierre CF

Dye RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Iguchi 2B

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

If Kenny does sign Paulie back, we may have then seen the last of the Big Hurt :crying

Then again, if that's what it would take to defend the title, I'm all for it :gosox1:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
I b****ed as much as anyone at the beginning of the main thread yet I voted yes in the poll. 2 hours makes quite a difference.

kalapse, i am a huge aaron fan as well, but it is hard for me to come around on this trade. what has made u change your mind a little? i need to know so i can come around on this trade

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
kalapse, i am a huge aaron fan as well, but it is hard for me to come around on this trade.  what has made u change your mind a little? i need to know so i can come around on this trade

what exactly don't you like about the trade........besides your man-crush on rowand ( i have one too :lol:)

I'll just say from a statistical point of view, I can't fathom how this trade can be seen as anything but a positive move. Rowand had a very average year at the dish; though he played outstanding defense...so outstanding, I think it should have merited a Gold Glove.

Anytime you have the opportunity to better your lineup and fill a hole left with a free agent in Paul Konerko and the vacancy of a designated hitter, you make the move.

There are at least two capable center-fielders waiting in the wings in Chris Young and Jerry Owens. I hear what you're saying with the pitching situation, Flash, but I know I'm not missing Jeremy Reed and I firmly believe if you don't completely deplete the farm system, trading prospects is a very logical course of action.

EDIT: Anytime a fan-favorite is traded, it hurts. Obviously, we all wish Aaron nothing but the best in Philladelphia, but his departure made this a better team in 2006.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
kalapse, i am a huge aaron fan as well, but it is hard for me to come around on this trade.  what has made u change your mind a little? i need to know so i can come around on this trade

I've never been big on Brian Anderson and I've always loved Row so the immediate shock of losing Row hurt and it sqewed the way I looked at the deal. In reality this team needed more pop in the lineup and we more than likely were not going to get that from Rowand, Thome more than fills that need if he's able to play a full season (which he should be able to seeing how he's only had one injury plagued year in his career). If Anderson fills in in CF next year we won't lose much defense and he won' thave to do a whole hell of a lot to match Row's '05 offensive numbers. This trade should help the team much more than it will hurt it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
I've never been big on Brian Anderson and I've always loved Row so the immediate shock of losing Row hurt and it sqewed the way I looked at the deal. In reality this team needed more pop in the lineup and we more than likely were not going to get that from Rowand, Thome more than fills that need if he's able to play a full season (which he should be able to seeing how he's only had one injury plagued year in his career). If Anderson fills in in CF next year we won't lose much defense and he won' thave to do a whole hell of a lot to match Row's '05 offensive numbers. This trade should help the team much more than it will hurt it.

True, and isnt BA the same type of player as aaron...grinder type?

hey if they would have taken borchard instead of rowand, id be even more happy, but u dont get a player like thome at half the price without giving up someone of some value....rowand isnt an all star, remember that, thome is.....as long as thome is healthy he is putting up 40+hr's 100+rbi

QUOTE(Allsox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Pods LF

Pierre CF

Dye RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Iguchi 2B

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

Against RHP, this lineup is deadly.

Against LHP, I wouldn't expect Pierzynski or Thome to be of much assistance. Unfortunately, the American League Central is stockpiled with quality left-handed starting pitchers. If you expect Podsednik and Pierre to continue hitting LHP well, as they both did this season, then perhaps it won't much of a problem. It would be great if Anderson remained on the club, somehow, in the event a trade for Pierre was structured. He could always spell Pierre or Pods if either had trouble against a particular LH pitcher.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

AWARDS

2004 Players Choice Awards (Man of the Year)

Played in the All-Star Game

2002 Roberto Clemente Man of the Year (Outstanding skills, sportsmanship and community involvement)

2001 Players Choice Awards (Man of the Year)

1999 Played in the All-Star Game

1998 Played in the All-Star Game

1997 Played in the All-Star Game

1996 Silver Slugger (American League) (First baseman)

1993 Player of the Year (Triple-A - Baseball America)

Triple-A All-Star Team (Baseball America)

Most Valuable Player (International League - AAA)

International League All-Star Team (AAA) (Third baseman)

1991 Double-A All-Star Team (Baseball America)

Eastern League All-Star Team (AA) (Third baseman)

1990 Short Season All-Star Team (Baseball America)

Appalachian All-Star Team ® (Utility infielder)

those are all his awards in his career.....roberto clemente award winner and 2 time man of the year award...he's a stand up guy

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
hey if they would have taken borchard instead of rowand, id be even more happy, but u dont get a player like thome at half the price without giving up someone of some value....rowand isnt an all star, remember that, thome is.....as long as thome is healthy he is putting up 40+hr's 100+rbi

Who's an all-star and who's not an all-star means absolutely nothing.