JIM THOME FOR 7.2 MIL/YEAR??

Steve9347

The Phillies paid the Sox 22 million dollars of the 43.5 owed to take Jim Thome. That is half of his salary! This man could hit 40 homers easily if he stays healthy!

I can't believe KW pulled this off. Paying an athlete only 7.2 million dollars a year for what he can do is a steal.

sorry to see aaron go, but this was well worth the risk. i fear this is the end of frank thomas, as thome said he wants to DH.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
I'll bite on the devil's advocate, picture Thome hitting .207 with 7 homers and being injured for the majority of the season next year.  And our centerfielder not getting to every fly ball.

Look at Thome's career stats and then tell me that is what he will do.

People seem to think that Thome is some kind of injury risk, he was hurt last year but other than that the guy has been healthy. He's hit 400 HR in the past ten years.

QUOTE(TheHawkaroo @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
People seem to think that Thome is some kind of injury risk, he was hurt last year but other than that the guy has been healthy. He's hit 400 HR in the past ten years.

He's old. Anyone that's old and misses a season due to an injury is an injury concern.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
He's old.  Anyone that's old and misses a season due to an injury is an injury concern.

I wouldn't say that. You got guys in their 20's who are more injury prone than guys in their 30's. Bottomline is Thome has had one injury plagued year. I don't believe for a second that Kenny would make this move without being damn near 100% confident that Thome would be fine.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
He's old.  Anyone that's old and misses a season due to an injury is an injury concern.

He had elbow surgery and it is not like he is pitching or playing outfield. He will be the DH, and maybe play a little 1B. There is a lot less concern.

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
He had elbow surgery and it is not like he is pitching or playing outfield.  He will be the DH, and maybe play a little 1B.  There is a lot less concern.

That's the real key...coming off of elbow surgery caused by throwing the ball...I don't want him throwing the ball any more than he has to. We need PK back. And man will that combo ever be deadly.

QUOTE(BDavisFutureHOF @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
Prdon my naiveity but doesnt anyone care that we gave up Haigwood and Gio? Am I missing something here?

no, i care... lots of us here care.... its being duscussed at length in other threads

gotta give up stuff to get stuff

we have our pitching situation locked up and have a great chance to win it all again.

QUOTE(BDavisFutureHOF @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
Dont get me wrong -- he just doesnt seem to fit into our championship style of play in my mind. I thought that we were building around pitching and defense -- which we gave up an assload of in this trade.

Don't get me wrong, either. I like the trade but it is a good point. Last winter we gave up power for a grinder and won the WS. Now we just gave up a grinder for power.

Oh well, I trust KW.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

After last year -- I trust KW as well but this trade reeks of trades/signings that we made in the past to build our team around "mashers." We finally found the winning formula and we are reverting to the ideas of yore.

As my 7th grade history teacher once said "History is tought so the future can learn from past mistakes"

I personally think this is a HUGE mistake.

I hope I am wrong.

QUOTE(BDavisFutureHOF @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
After last year -- I trust KW as well but this trade reeks of trades/signings that we made in the past to build our team around "mashers."  We finally found the winning formula and we are reverting to the ideas of yore.

As my 7th grade history teacher once said "History is tought so the future can learn from past mistakes"

I personally think this is a HUGE mistake.

I hope I am wrong.

You are making like Thome is replacing Rowand in the OF. Thome is replacing Everett at DH, and he is a huge upgrade there. He is a lefty bat that fills a couple of needs. I don't think this one move signals that the Sox are going back to 5-6 mashers. The Sox will either acquire someone like Pierre or bring in Anderson to fill the OF position.