Howry signs with the Cubs

Balta1701

I think this has been expected for a while now, but it's worth noting now that it's happened. The Cubs have signed Bobby Howry to a 3 year deal worth $12 million.

This weakens Cleveland's bullpen by a fair amount, and makes it more imperative that they sign Ryan or Wickman, since their closing options have now become much more limited.

This continues the revamping of the Cubs bullpen with former White Sox pitchers. The Cubs dumped 3 years, $11 million on Scott Eyre a few days ago, and they also resigned Ryan Dempster to an extension a few weeks ago. The Cubs have put roughly $12 million a year or so into their bullpen just this month, although I still can't find terms for Dempster's deal anywhere.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
Their bullpen is no longer pathetic. Bullet Bob was very good for Cleveland.

I'm rather angry that we did not sign him, but I don't think he would have agreed to play here again.

Their bullpen is no longer pathetic on paper. But one thing we've learned watching teams the last few years is that the performance of pitchers, especially in the bullpen, can vary wildly from year to year (think Red Sox and Yankees in 2005...suddenly reliable guys like Embree, Stanton, Quantrill couldn't get anybody out to save their lives.)

I look at this and think that the Cubs just spent $12 million a year on something like 200 innings, and I just have to wonder if it's a wise investment.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
:huh:

you would want the Sox to  sign Howry for 12 million over 3 years?

It was his favorite player.

I thought I saw Jim Hendry going through the Sox's dumpster while driving down 35th last night. <_<

Think they'll sign Kelly Wunsch?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
Their bullpen is no longer pathetic on paper.  But one thing we've learned watching teams the last few years is that the performance of pitchers, especially in the bullpen, can vary wildly from year to year (think Red Sox and Yankees in 2005...suddenly reliable guys like Embree, Stanton, Quantrill couldn't get anybody out to save their lives.)

I look at this and think that the Cubs just spent $12 million a year on something like 200 innings, and I just have to wonder if it's a wise investment.

And its definately possible that Politte and Hermy come back to earth in 05. Hopefully not though.

Ha ha ha ha. The Cubs are blowing all their money on a bullpen, but where are they on the players that will get them to .500 this year. So far, you've signed a bench player and a pretty good bullpen corps. What about Furcal? What's the news. I did hear the Cubs and Sox are fighting for Pierre. Who will come out on top? The pressure's on the Cubs.

Ha ha ha ha. The Cubs are blowing all their money on a bullpen, but where are they on the players that will get them to .500 this year.  So far, you've signed a bench player and a pretty good bullpen corps. What about Furcal? What's the news. I did hear the Cubs and Sox are fighting for Pierre. Who will come out on top? The pressure's on the Cubs.

Their bullpen was one of the big reasons they sucked so bad last year. Eyre and Howry will improve their bullpen but If I were Jim Hendry, I would have spent the combined $23 million they are paying those two guys on a stud closer and moved Dempster to setup man. I don't buy Dempster as a legitimate closer. He gave up way too many baserunners last season.

To be honest the Cubs need to overpay to get Bullpen help. If they landed a guy like Bj Ryan to close for them than I'd say (while they overpaid for some guys) that they did there job of revamping the bullpen.

No one can say if Howry and Eyre will stay up for 3 years and pitch like they did this past year, but if they do and they find a closer Hendry paid too much, but he will have filled his teams biggest weakness.