This trade allows White Sox to resign Konerko!

Scuff

Much is being made about paying 7.2 mil a year to an injury prone Thome, while it might be true that he is a risk injury wise it is actually a cheaper alternative then we had last season and we all know how last season went...

2005 Salaries for DH:

Frank Thomas $8 million

Carl Everett $4 million

$12 Million

2006 Salries for DH:

Jim Thome $7.2 million

Frank Thomas buyout $3.5 million

$10.7 million

Now if you reduce the $3.25 million owed to Aaron Rowand for 2006

10.7m - 3.25m = $7.45 million

So if you look at it that way the Sox cleared up $4.55 million (12 million (2005) - 7.45 million) for extra money to pay for Mr Konerko and maybe another CF (Pierre?), thus this is an excellent trade.

Feel free to comment or ask for me to clarify, I think its pretty clear though.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep coming up with this:

Thome's contract:

2006 - $12.5 Million (-7.3 Phils) $5.2 Million

2007 - $14.0 Million (-7.3 Phils) $6.7 Million

2008 - $14.0 Million (-7.3 Phils) $6.7 Million

Savings in 2006 from lost salaries:

Frank Thomas - $8 million

Carl Everett - $4 million

Aaron Rowand - $3.25 million

Total - $15.25 million

2006 Costs

Jim Thome $5.2 million

Frank Thomas buyout $3.5 million

Carl Everett buyout $0.5 million

Total $9.2 million

Available money from moves - $6.05 million

Paulie's last salary: $8.75 million

Estimated salary: $12.0 million

Difference: $3.25 million

Remaining cash: $2.80 million

Pierre's 2006 salary: $5 million

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
I keep coming up with this:

Thome's contract:

2006 - $12.5 Million (-7.3 Phils) $5.2 Million

2007 - $14.0 Million (-7.3 Phils) $6.7 Million

2008 - $14.0 Million (-7.3 Phils) $6.7 Million

well they keep saying he is owed $43.5 over the remaining 3 years so 43.5-22m=21.5m

21.5m/3 = 7.1666 to be exact :) but 7.2 works

you are right though they are giving different numbers and if the sox only pay Thome 5.2million this year that just clears up even more money for this years budget..

QUOTE(Scuff @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
well they keep saying he is owed $43.5 over the remaining 3 years so 43.5-22m=21.5m

21.5m/3  = 7.1666 to be exact :) but 7.2 works

you are right though they are giving different numbers and if the sox only pay Thome 5.2million this year that just clears up even more money for this years budget..

Yeah, because he has a 3.0 Million buyout for 2009, that is where the 3 million is coming from. His real numbers for the contract are:

2006 - $12.5 Million

2007 - $14.0 Million

2008 - $14.0 Million

2009 - $13.0 Million (Club Option - $3 Million buyout)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
It's also entirely possible that by 2009, that $13 million could look like a bargain too...for a guy wanting to pick up his 4th ring with us.

God I want Konerko back now.  It won't be Ortiz and Ramirez, but it'll be a damn good second place.

Also, a $3 Million buyout is dirt cheap, and I am sure if we kept him that long, the Sox would use the Buyout and sign him for lower for a 1 yr deal.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
God I want Konerko back now.  It won't be Ortiz and Ramirez, but it'll be a damn good second place.

"If we should make any moves at this stage," Williams said, careful with his words because the trade has not been approved, "it would not preclude us from continuing to make serious overtures to Paul Konerko. He would still be a very, very big part of our plans."

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
NO, But we gotta make moves to resign people ans s***. Thome 's health is a question mark

The beauty of this move is that it actually leaves us room to resign people, including Konerko, to long term deals without blowing up our salary number.

Thome's money is roughly equal to Rowand plus Everett last year. Thomas's money is gone. If you give Thomas's post-buyout money to Konerko, that's enough to pay PK $12.5 mil a season and probably sign him. That basically means that, unless we trade for someone else or sign someone else, we can take our team as-is into the season next year, and the ONLY salary increases it will have undertaken are the increases to sign guys like Crede, Pierzynski, Garland, and hopefully Contreras to long term deals.

If we up our payroll next year by $10 million...that either means we signed someone fairly big named or we gave a couple of guys nice deals to keep them in Chicago for a while. And we'll have gotten better at the same time.

Furthermore...I don't feel Thome's health is as big of a question mark as you make it out to be. His biggest injury, his elbow, was suffered while fielding. If he's mainly a DH in Chicago...which he would be if we resign PK, that will significantly reduce the stress on his arm and most likely will add years to his career.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
That's my problem this team goes out and wins the series and still has to manuvre under the JR salary Cap. 

I wouldn't worry so much about the payroll and JR being cheap. I think the payroll will increase and we will field another WS calibur team in 06'.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
That's my problem this team goes out and wins the series and still has to manuvre under the JR salary Cap.  I don't wanna be an ass, but i just don't agree with this trade. Sorry. GOing back to the damn mashing

Josh in case you haven't noticed, payroll has been going up consistently for the past 5 season. With this move, and the (hopefully) re-signings of Crede, Konerko, Garland and A.J (that's about $22-27M right there for next season), and after the extra financial revenue from the World Series, there's no reason to think the payroll won't be lower than $85-90M.

Compared to the other teams in this division (excluding Detroit but they're nuts), that ain't a salary cap.

Of course the team is going to have budget restraints. Get real Josh. Boston, the Cubs and yes, even the Yankees have some sort of budget they stay within. JR has not been operating on the cheap for quite some time. As gross profits have gone up, so has payroll. year after year after year, etc.