What to do with Duque...

Wanne

I know if he's ready to go...he could be valuable to have around as a spot starter and long relief...but at $4.5-5M...that's kind of a pricey insurance policy IMO. I'm not sure what other options there may be besides the Annual Felix Diaz Tour (which I'm not down with)...is Adkins ready. But bottom line...if money become a real issue...you've got Duque's $$$ as well as Marte's $1.25-1.5 to try and move. Is Arnie Munoz ready to step up in Marte's place (actually Cotts and Neal is your main lefty out of the pen).

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
I know if he's ready to go...he could be valuable to have around as a spot starter and long relief...but at $4.5-5M...that's kind of a pricey insurance policy IMO.    I'm not sure what other options there may be besides the Annual Felix Diaz Tour (which I'm not down with)...is Adkins ready.  But bottom line...if money become a real issue...you've got Duque's $$$ as well as Marte's $1.25-1.5 to try and move.  Is Arnie Munoz ready to step up in Marte's place (actually Cotts and Neal is your main lefty out of the pen).

There really isn't much to think about if we're not able to trade him. He'll compete with B-mac in spring training for the last spot in the rotation, with whoever has the better showing winning the spot, while the loser moves to the pen in the long relief role. That's the only way I can envison it playing out.

I know if he's ready to go...he could be valuable to have around as a spot starter and long relief...but at $4.5-5M...that's kind of a pricey insurance policy IMO.    I'm not sure what other options there may be besides the Annual Felix Diaz Tour (which I'm not down with)...is Adkins ready.  But bottom line...if money become a real issue...you've got Duque's $$$ as well as Marte's $1.25-1.5 to try and move.  Is Arnie Munoz ready to step up in Marte's place (actually Cotts and Neal is your main lefty out of the pen).

My guess is they'll keep him around for spot starting, possibly long relief, and assorted trips to the DL if they need a roster spot.

Diaz and Adkins and Munoz are, to me, AAA roster fill and not much more. I think they'll sign some minor league FA's to fill out some depth and to ease the strain in spring training.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
My guess is they'll keep him around for spot starting, possibly long relief, and assorted trips to the DL if they need a roster spot.

Diaz and Adkins and Munoz are, to me, AAA roster fill and not much more.  I think they'll sign some minor league FA's to fill out some depth and to ease the strain in spring training.

Ya, they could be guys you deal for a utility guy otherwise they have zero value aside from roster depth in Charlotte (to try and help put together a winning team in Charlotte for the 1st time in a long time).

Munoz could have a little something in him, but he's never impressed me much. Not bad depth in a worse case situation (cause you know they are all vets at this point, even though Munoz is young).

Buehrle

Contreras

Garcia

Garland

B-Mac

IMO. Who needs El Duque in the rotation? IMO, he should stay in relief, and yes I mean STAY. After seeing what he did for us in the playoffs, I'd keep him another year unless we can get someone really good for him.

one sentence on what to do with El Duque...

HE GONE!

or put him in the bullpen, but our rotation is quite set next year

1. BUEHRLE

2. CONTRERAS

3. GARLAND (if we pay him!)

4. GARCIA (easily the BEST 4 pitcher in the league

5. B-Mac

After McCarthy was sent down, I was worried about him, but his September call up assured me that he will finish this year with a 3.50-4.00 ERA and about 130 strike outs. Very good numbers.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
IMO. Who needs El Duque in the rotation? IMO, he should stay in relief, and yes I mean STAY. After seeing what he did for us in the playoffs, I'd keep him another year unless we can get someone really good for him.

thats pretty much what I think too. I think Duque could be a lights-out bullpen guy.

I dont' know if he could be a "Lights out bullpen guy"...but he could definately be a better guy at long relief than Viz - he could pitch more than 2 1/3 innings at a time, which would really help in those long extra inning games.

And you should probably always expect that no matter how young your pitching staff is...someone will probably miss a start at some point, and it won't hurt us to have a guy who knows how to make a start.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
Wow, Luis Vizcaino must be the worst pitcher with a 2.60 ERA after the break ever listening to some of you. Viz, contrary to conventional wisdom, doesn't totally suck.

He was used in a lot of non-pressure situations in the second half. I have no faith in Vizciano, none. 74 hits in 70 innings? I think first half Vizciano is the real Viz, he has a career ERA of 4.36 (horrible for a pen guy).

Remember it will take two innings for Hernandez to warm up. Ozzie will need to plan well in advance to use him in the pen. Plus, is it worth it to have a guy pissed off to be in the pen and can only work sparingly? I just don't think it's a good fit for a whole year.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)
Remember it will take two innings for Hernandez to warm up. Ozzie will need to plan well in advance to use him in the pen. Plus, is it worth it to have a guy pissed off to be in the pen and can only work sparingly? I just don't think it's a good fit for a whole year.

1) No, it won't take him 2 innings to warm up. I don't know where you got that from.

'2) I doubt he'll be 'pissed off' coming out of the pen.

I get the feeling that Hernandez will come to camp with the Sox to compete with Brandon for the 5th spot. If all things are equal, McCarthy will be the 5th starter and Hernandez will be traded somewhere at the end of March to someone who either has an injury, or realizes how bad their rotation is then.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 07:16 AM)
I get the feeling that Hernandez will come to camp with the Sox to compete with Brandon for the 5th spot.  If all things are equal, McCarthy will be the 5th starter and Hernandez will be traded somewhere at the end of March to someone who either has an injury, or realizes how bad their rotation is then.

So basically, trade him back to the yanks?? :D

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
So basically, trade him back to the yanks?? :D

It wouldn't surprise me, that's for sure. But there always seems to be at least one major injury during spring training, and a team like that could look at Hernandez too. Plus the Sox could bring him to camp for the same reason. You just never know.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
I get the feeling that Hernandez will come to camp with the Sox to compete with Brandon for the 5th spot.  If all things are equal, McCarthy will be the 5th starter and Hernandez will be traded somewhere at the end of March to someone who either has an injury, or realizes how bad their rotation is then.

Good call. He'd have more value if he's a] healthy and b] another team has an injury.