Would you do this trade?!?!?!?

OilCan

Okay, with all of the Florida Marlins firesale talk....

If the GM of the Marlins called KW today, and said:

"Dontrelle Willis is for sale, and I want Brandon McCarthy..."

Would you do this trade???

This should be an interesting discussion. Personally, this would be one of the very, very few names that I would even consider trading BMac for, so yes I would, given DWills track record.

Discuss.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
Willis for BMac?

no, f*** that. I personally like McCarthy more than Willis who is extremely prone to having bad second halves of the season.

McCarthy is further away from free agency and will be cheaper, longer.

Long time, fellas. What's happening?

Anyways, true he has been horrible in second halves, and tha's what cost him the Cy Young in '05. B-Mac needs time to prove he will be a better asset to the team.

So for now, no to DW.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
Willis for BMac?

no, f*** that. I personally like McCarthy more than Willis who is extremely prone to having bad second halves of the season.

McCarthy is further away from free agency and will be cheaper, longer.

Kalapse, you took the words right out of my mouth. I think McCarthy is going to be a f***ing STUD.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
For the record the guy had a 2.91 era in the 2nd half last year.  In the past he's had trouble in the 2nd half of the season, that was not the case this year.

He's prone to having s*** second halves, last year was different but that does not change his prone status.

I think McCarthy is going to be better than Willis...for longer than Willis, and will be cheaper than Willis for years.

I still worry that at some point, Willis's motion is going to cause some major injury problems too, even though there's not great evidence of that happening yet.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
He's prone to having s*** second halves, last year was different but that does not change his prone status.

The guy has been in the league 3 years. Twice he's done it, once he hasnt, I don't know if that makes him prone to having bad 2nd halves.

Purely in the theoretical sense of things, I can't see how you would not take a guy like Willis. I might be Brandon's biggest fan, but Dontrelle Willis sells tickets and was a near Cy Young, I don't see how you could pass that up for a guy who when he tops out, might be that good.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
I'll take Willis, and realize that not only do you have a lefty with great stuff, but you also have a charismatic superstar who will sell tickets.  McCarthy is way too much of an unknown right now.

Ya, this is a no brainer move for me and I am a huge Bmac fan. Fish wouldn't do it though.

Correct no brainer although this is obviously only hypothetical. You have to take proven over possible, especailyl when it comes to contracts and age being non-factors. IF I'm Willis and Cabrera-I'm not trading away my free agent years to sign an extension. I'm just riding out my arbitration years if I am them and getting the F out of there

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
Thats why I put all those laughing smilies. I am very surprised by some of the responses. I am really excited for Brandon, and cant wait to see what he can do in a full season. However, Dontrelle won 22 games last season, and posted an ERA under 2.70. Those pitchers dont grow on trees. If Brandon ever gets to that point, then wow, we got a Cy young pitcher on our hand, but when asking me if I would trade away a 23 year old that has had 2 months in the majors, compared to a 24 year old that just finished the year 2nd in CY young voting, give me D-Train.

Agree completely. Anyone that wouldn't trade BMac straight up for Willis is 1) related to BMac; 2) has a personal vendetta against Willis; 3) sippin' too much White Sox Kool-Aid.

Give me Willis in this rotation and get the champagne chilled for another celebration in '06. Also, don't worry about restocking our lefties in the minors as we have great young lefties already at the majors with Buerhle, Willis, and Cotts. Just let Broadway develop and eventually take over for Contreras.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Agree completely.  Anyone that wouldn't trade BMac straight up for Willis is 1) related to BMac; 2) has a personal vendetta against Willis; 3) sippin' too much White Sox Kool-Aid.

Give me Willis in this rotation and get the champagne chilled for another celebration in '06.  Also, don't worry about restocking our lefties in the minors as we have great young lefties already at the majors with Buerhle, Willis, and Cotts.  Just let Broadway develop and eventually take over for Contreras.

There we go.

Personally I'm not a big Dontrelle Willis fan. It's highly possible that he's this generation's Mark Fydrich or Fernando Valenzuela, there just isn't a whole lot to go on. So far he's only pitched two full seasons: one of them was pretty damn good, and the other was pretty brutal, especially when you consider that the 4.02 ERA he put up was in the NL in a pitcher's park. His rookie year was a bit of a mixed bag: he dominated early and was decent later in the year, but he got absolutely rocked for a while in August. He's not a guy I'd personally be that interested in acquiring. I realize that as a GM if that deal proposed comes up you have to take it. However, we all know that it wouldn't, and as long as we're speculating on stuff like that, there are maybe a dozen pitchers I'd rather deal McCarthy for in the theoretical realm.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
May I ask, why?

It's not really a personal vendetta, I just don't think he's going to be successful for very long in this league. I've never liked his pitching style and I feel in the long run that McCarthy will be the better player. If you stick Willis in the Cell next year I think his ERA is in the low 4's for the season.