Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

Edit:

The Chicago White Sox have acquired Javier Vazquez for Chris Young, El Duque and Luis Vizcaino.

Per rotoworld:

Javier Vazquez could be dealt to the White Sox for either Jose Contreras or Jon Garland, a baseball insider told the New York Daily News.

A Vazquez deal is on the verge of going down. The Mets were still in it at last check. It's unclear whether the Nationals were able to put together anything to entice Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...5p-318162c.html
CHICAGO WAY: Javier Vazquez, who has piqued the Mets' interest, may be on the verge of getting shipped to the Windy City. A baseball insider suggested the White Sox are the most likely destination for the Diamondbacks pitcher, possibly leading to a trade involving Jon Garland (a free agent after the 2006 season) or Jose Contreras.

Javier Vazquez: signed 4-Year EXTENSION worth 45M- + received a  2M signing bonus- will make 8.5M in 2004, 10.5M in 2005, 11.5M in 2006, and 12.5M in 2007- + 3M each year of his 2005, 2006 and 2007 salaries is contributed by the Yankees- + invoked his right by parameters set by the CBA to demand a trade on 11/11/05 because he was traded in the middle of a multi-year contract (if he is not traded by March 15th, 2006 then he may forfeit remaining salaries and declare free agency) Agents: Sam and Seth Levinson Service Time: 6.141

The Yankees are still picking up $3 million per year of Vazquez's contract so whatever team trades for him will owe him $8.5 in 2006 and $9.5 million in 2007, unless the Diamondbacks include cash in the deal. Maybe the Sox have a feeling that Garland wants to go back home to the west coast for a long-term deal after 2006? It seems that Kenny has had a man crush on Vazquez for quite some time. He must think that Don Cooper can transform yet another Yankee castoff into a stud. I'm not sure why though. Garland is perfect for the Cell since he's a sinkerballer. Vazquez gives up too many homers so I doubt he'd be very successful at the Cell. But he does have a pretty good sinker so he would have to throw it a lot at the Cell.

Edited by SSH2005

Vazquez has seemed like quite the head-case since putting on pinstripes, but when he's on he's outstanding and if our coaching staff did anything to the psyche of Jon Garland (12 wins to 18 wins) or Jose Contreras (5.50 ERA to 3.61 ERA) I'd bet they could turn around Javy.

However, I think it'd be a PR disaster to trade one of our four horsemen and we'd look like grade-A fools if they put up numbers like they did last year.

Garland's steadfast reluctance to negotiate a long-term deal and potential market price in 2006 is the only thing that makes this worth considering.

Vazquez has seemed like quite the head-case since putting on pinstripes, but when he's on he's outstanding and if our coaching staff did anything to the psyche of Jon Garland (12 wins to 18 wins) or Jose Contreras (5.50 ERA to 3.61 ERA) I'd bet they could turn around Javy.

However, I think it'd be a PR disaster to trade one of our four horsemen and we'd look like grade-A fools if they put up numbers like they did last year.

Garland's steadfast reluctance to negotiate a long-term deal and potential market price in 2006 is the only thing that makes this worth considering.

I think if the Sox were to deal either Garland or Contreras for Vazquez, it would be because they want to have a solid rotation for the next 2 years but they don't feel like they will be able to re-sign both Garland and Contreras after 2006 (both will be free agents after next season). Maybe they feel that one of them will be a goner after 2006.

well... accually i dont think that garlands reluctance to negotiate makes this deal the only thing woth considering....

neither do you

if our coaching staff turned around garland and contreras... why couldnt they with vazquez????

id say that vazquez has at least a bit more potental then garland did before his 2005 season..... there isnt any reason to believe that vazquez can win 18+ games.....

really there arent.... so, go ahead and tell me all your reasons why vazquez with the sox couldnt equate to 18+ wins and ill tell you my reasons why your wrong.

this would be a good trade.... neutral for next year.... better for the future.

i will go on the record as saying... garlands ERA next year with the D-Backs will be as good or better then he was in 2005 with the sox.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
Maybe they feel that one of them will be a goner after 2006.

exactly right... and that one, is GARLAND.... contreras would sign back with us for a great deal.... im SURE of that..... POSITIVE.

exactly right... and that one, is GARLAND.... contreras would sign back with us for a great deal.... im SURE of that..... POSITIVE.

I just have the feeling that the Sox think Garland wants to go back to the west coast (Angels?) for a big deal after next season so they want to get a pitcher for him that they know will be here for at least two years. Our team is built to repeat within the next two seasons, in my opinion.

The Sox probably can't afford resigning both Jose and Jon after 2006 with guys like Kenny rogers getting $8 mill a yr. Whoever the sox are not intent on resigning could be dealt. That way a guy like Vazquez could be under control for another yr. While I may not personally like a deal, I could see why it could be made. A team like Ariz. could try and get Jon to be a #1, or #2 starter after this yr, and pay him that way [over $10 mill a yr for 4 yrs]. If that's the case, I'm not sure the sox should or would pay him that big a contract

i agree 100 percent

and being from southern california and talking with some of garlands high school buddies.... i dont see how anyone in there right mind wouldnt want to come back "home" for a lot of reasons... one being MONEY.

The Sox probably can't afford resigning both Jose and Jon after 2006 with guys like Kenny rogers getting $8 mill a yr. Whoever the sox are not intent on resigning could be dealt. That way a guy like Vazquez could be under control for another yr. While I may not personally like a deal, I could see why it could be made. A team like Ariz. could try and get Jon to be a #1, or #2 starter after this yr, and pay him that way [over $10 mill a yr for 4 yrs]. If that's the case, I'm not sure the sox should or would pay him that big a contract

^^^ This is exactly what I think it is. Both Garland and Contreras could garner $10+ million a year contracts after next season on the free agent market. To fit one of them in the budget, maybe Kenny thinks his best bet is to trade a guy like Garland for Vazquez + cash. And if Cooper could bring out the best in Vazquez like he did with Contreras, we would have three pitchers in our rotation with great stuff in Contreras, Garcia, and Vazquez.

Hmmm, coincidence?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/0.../xbl10312032233

ozzievazquez0ma.jpg

"Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, right, and Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Javier Vazquez, left, prepare to pose as a favor for a young woman working for the sponsor Medalla Beer, while the two took a short break in the the Javier Vazquez Charity Golf Classic, in Ponce Puerto Rico, Saturday, Dec. 3, 2005. The celebrity tournament is to benefit deaf and mute children. (AP Photo/Brennan Linsley)"

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
^^^  This is exactly what I think it is.  Both Garland and Contreras could garner $10+ million a year contracts after next season on the free agent market.  To fit one of them in the budget, maybe Kenny thinks his best bet is to trade a guy like Garland for Vazquez + cash.  And if Cooper could bring out the best in Vazquez like he did with Contreras, we would have three pitchers in our rotation with great stuff in Contreras, Garcia, and Vazquez.

Vazquez's poor mechanics have been talked about as part of his problem. Even with those questions, he's been a workhorse and been able to stay healthy. With pitching at a premium, getting workhorses is important. It would still hurt to get rid of a workhorse like Jon. But having to pay him to be the highest paid pitcher on the staff after this yr for 4 yrs probably.... I have a problem with that.

One thing to consider is the low amount of K's Jon had this yr. With Vazquez being a strikeout pitcher [and getting help from the sox to straighten out his mechanics] it could be a deal where the sox trade a #3 or #4 starter for a possible #2. Vazquez certainly has the stuff right now to be a solid #3 or #4 starter. Vazquez wouldn't be looked at to be the sox ace. Just a middle of the rotation guy. Yet he arguably has the talent to be an ace. Jon's ceiling is as a solid middle of the rotation guy who can log innings

For comparison's sake:

Jon Garland (26 years old)

4.42 career ERA

1.38 career WHIP

.265 career BAA

4.92 career K/9

3.35 career BB/9

Javier Vazquez (29 years old)

4.28 career ERA

1.27 career WHIP

.260 career BAA

7.77 career K/9

2.40 career BB/9

Edited by SSH2005

I have a hard time believing that Garland will pull in any less than $40 million on his next contract. It could go to $45. That plus our tendency to stick to 3 year deals with pitchers, it's basically a forgone conclusion that Garland will seek greener ($$$) pastures.

And I love Vazquez. He's a quality pitcher. His 2003 season was unreal. For one thing, he'll strike out about 100 more batters. His potential to win 18 games sounds a bit more likely than Garlands, as crazy as last years number makes that statement sound.

But that doesn't mean there aren't downsides to consider. For one he gave up 35 bombs last year, second most in all of baseball, and the cell might be vicious to him.

A deal like this makes sense on a whole lot of levels but it isn't without a few significant question marks. Still if something like this increases our ability to hold on to Contreras (and Garcia and Buehrle) then that should be enough motivation.

But that doesn't mean there aren't downsides to consider. For one he gave up 35 bombs last year, second most in all of baseball, and the cell might be vicious to him.

Doesn't Vazquez also have a decent sinker? And doesn't the air in Arizona mess with a pitcher's breaking stuff? Cooper would have to get Vazquez to throw it more at the Cell.

This wouldn't be a bad trade if the Sox are pretty sure Garland wants to just accept the biggest free agent offer he receives after 2006. I wouldn't mind a trade of Garland for Vazquez + $1 million in 2006 and $2 million in 2007. Vazquez would then cost us only $7.5 in 2006 and 2007. I'm not sure Arizona would do that though.

Edited by SSH2005

I SOOOOO called this about a month back (and don't worry I'm going to bump that thread), if it's indeed Jon Garland that we are trading. Obviously, the Sox have seen what has happened with Jon's contract negotiations etc. and the market for starting pitching.

Arizona needs groundball pitchers in their ballpark. Garland had a 1.50 G/F ratio in 2005. Vazquez will be under our control after next season, which will be important when El Duque's deal finishes up, because if we kept Jon and he bolts after 2006, we only have 4 starters.

Vazquez's more of a flyball pitcher 1.28 G/F ratio, so he may give up some more HR's than Jon at the Cell (he gave up 35 in total in 2005). But he's more of a strikeout pitcher as well.

EDIT: Oh and can we trade Brian Anderson for Carlos Quentin (or Chad Tracy) while we're at it? :D

What is Vazquez's contract situation ? ? ? ?

I guess I could support this somewhat if it's Garland since he wasn't as effective in the 2nd half of the season (he was great in the ALCS particularly), and he wants a long-term deal mainly because of his durability, and one sucessful season.

What's the deal with Vazquez ? Two seasons ago, while in Montreal, and even early on with the Yankees, this guy looked like a complete stud, now he's a bottom of the rotation starter who everyone feels should be better. Is his head messed up ? Injuries ?

Very interesting. What this tells me, in all likelyhood, is the KW feels he has little or no chance of getting Garland to sign a multiyear deal, within what KW feels is a reasonable amount of $$$. So, he's trying to trade Garland for a quality pitcher with some cost certainty. Good thinking on KW's part.

These were Vazquez's splits for 2005 for each month;

April - 6.11 ERA

May - 2.15 ERA

June - 6.75 ERA

July - 3.71 ERA

August - 7.09 ERA

September - 2.93 ERA

October - 1.13 ERA

Looking at the HR's he gave up, he only gave up 6 in the first 2 months, and then 28 from June to September. Put simply, for his good months, he didn't have a .BAA higher than .236. In his bad months, it wasn't lower than .316.

He did pitch once at the Cell though in 2005, and that game is actually pretty easy to remember, he was getting that really wide strike zone all night long, but he had 10 K's that night and gave up 3ER in 8IP.

Unfrotunately, he's got Freddy Garcia syndrome. Terrible at the start of games, 4.94 ERA from 0-15, 9.84 ERA from 16-30.

When he was dominant in Montreal, he gave up about 10 less HR's than he did in 2005. But he's an innings eater, he's thrown over 200 innings in 4 of the last 5 seasons (and the only time he missed he threw 198 for the Yanks).