Crede and Garland to Texas?

GasHeGone

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Rogers latest article on chisports mentions the possibility of a Blalock trade

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...hitesox-utility

You can just about bet that Williams and his clever assistant, Rick Hahn, aren't going to keep five veteran starters on the roster all winter—not with Brandon McCarthy pitching as well as anyone in baseball in the second half of the season (7-1 with a 1.88 ERA in 16 starts between Triple-A and the big leagues) and Neal Cotts flashing an arm that would fit nicely in anyone's rotation, although probably only after one more year as a set-up man.

In a market where pitching is king, Williams has it to deal.

He could trade any one of four starters, although Mark Buehrle, the pitching cornerstone, is untouchable. Contreras and Garland are more likely to be moved than Freddy Garcia or Vazquez because they are only one year away from free agency.

The most transparent scenarios are a starter and Joe Crede to Texas for a package fronted by left-handed-hitting third baseman Hank Blalock (signed for a highly reasonable $13.7 million for the next three years with a $6.2 million option in 2009); a starter and Juan Uribe to Baltimore for Miguel Tejada—not that likely—or a starter to Baltimore for a package of young talent in a deal that makes Tejada happier about staying put.

St. Louis and Houston both could use another starting pitcher—a thought that really ought to send a chill through Hendry.

When Williams trades one of his starters, then judge how the return stacks up against Young, not the starter traded.

Young for Blalock?

Williams' cell phone ought to be shipped to Cooperstown if he can pull that one off.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
Ralph Malph has a great source. Potsie Weber knows the Rangers inside and out.

well the Fonz says "HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

Anyone know what Ralph Malph's fathers name was on Happy Days? It was Mickey Malph, then Growing Pains continued the wacky sidekicks dad name tradition when they revealed that Boner Stabone's dad's name was Sylvester Stabone.

god damn, that was a funny post, i laughed out loud when I saw "Ralph Malph" as the name.

Edited by SoxFan562004

White Sox not done maneuvering

Man, that Ken Williams won't call it a day, will he? It's one thing to shake up the defending World Series champion but another again to play Twister with your 25-man roster.

The knee-jerk reaction is to say: Enough already, stop showing off. You're killing Jim Hendry, among others.

It's not like the dang thing was broken in the first place, right?

But that misses the point.

Williams is running the White Sox exactly like Brian Cashman has run the New York Yankees and like Theo Epstein did the Boston Red Sox, at least before they won their World Series. He's taking a good thing and making it better, and it's perfectly understandable if this is a confusing thing for Chicago fans to comprehend.

The Javier Vazquez trade was the fourth significant move by Williams, who has at least one more to go—most likely trading October ace Jose Contreras or 18-game winner Jon Garland. Before looking at what moves will follow this one, consider the three he has made.

Jim Thome and $22 million for Aaron Rowand, Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Haigwood: Trading from two areas of strength (outfield surplus and starting pitching inventory), the Sox added an elite slugger for replaceable parts.

Re-signing Paul Konerko for $12 million a year over five years: The Sox keep the heart of their lineup intact at a reasonable price for a cornerstone player.

Rob Mackowiak for Damaso Marte and $1 million: An amazing transaction in that Williams picked up arguably the best bench player in the majors for a salary he wanted to shed.

The Vazquez trade went down largely the same way. Orlando Hernandez (owed $4.625 million) and, to a lesser degree, the arbitration-eligible Luis Vizcaino (likely to command $2 million) were, along with Marte, among the five most expendable players on the roster. The other two, Timo Perez and Willie Harris, could be gone soon.

You can boil the Vazquez deal down to this: Vazquez and his 12 to 15 victories per year for at least the next two years for Chris Young, penciled in to play center field for Triple-A Charlotte next season. You can quibble about Vazquez being traded for the third time in three years—a trend that reflects Yankees impatience as much as anything—but he comes—like most players to the South Side—at a bargain price.

Hernandez, an elegant statesman, played a huge role in 2005, helping turn Contreras into a monster and finishing off the Red Sox at Fenway Park. But he wasn't going to be happy in a secondary role in 2006, when he will be just as much a health risk. Consider trainer Herm Schneider's telling assessment after "El Duque" mowed down Johnny Damon and Boston's faint hope of a first-round rally.

"We got a lot out of him this year, 10 wins," Schneider said. "I don't know if anybody else could have how gotten that out of him."

You can argue Young is the White Sox's version of Felix Pie, as Baseball America had him in line as the Sox's top minor-league prospect. I've written a couple times at least this winter that the Cubs would be making a huge mistake to jettison Pie or to deal too many more of their top-tier prospects (Juan Pierre cost them two of those, plus Sergio Mitre).

Young, like Pie, probably will be a good major-league player (the frequently used comparison is to Eric Davis). But, as much as I like him, I can't fault the White Sox for dealing him to get Vazquez.

As with the Thome trade, Williams traded from strength. The Sox left Game 4 of the World Series with their starting outfield under control through 2007. Brian Anderson, a .295 hitter in Triple-A last season, replaced Rowand, but Young and fellow prospects Jerry Owens and Ryan Sweeney weren't far behind.

That means Young was among the organization's top seven outfielders (and we're excluding Joe Borchard, who probably takes Perez's job off the bench). Pie, Matt Murton and Jerry Hairston Jr. were it for the Cubs' outfield before the Pierre trade. Thus a Pie, and a Pierre for that matter, are much more valuable for the Cubs than Young or any of the other outfielders are for the White Sox.

Besides, this deal isn't finished.

You can just about bet that Williams and his clever assistant, Rick Hahn, aren't going to keep five veteran starters on the roster all winter—not with Brandon McCarthy pitching as well as anyone in baseball in the second half of the season (7-1 with a 1.88 ERA in 16 starts between Triple-A and the big leagues) and Neal Cotts flashing an arm that would fit nicely in anyone's rotation, although probably only after one more year as a set-up man.

In a market where pitching is king, Williams has it to deal.

He could trade any one of four starters, although Mark Buehrle, the pitching cornerstone, is untouchable. Contreras and Garland are more likely to be moved than Freddy Garcia or Vazquez because they are only one year away from free agency.

The most transparent scenarios are a starter and Joe Crede to Texas for a package fronted by left-handed-hitting third baseman Hank Blalock (signed for a highly reasonable $13.7 million for the next three years with a $6.2 million option in 2009); a starter and Juan Uribe to Baltimore for Miguel Tejada—not that likely—or a starter to Baltimore for a package of young talent in a deal that makes Tejada happier about staying put.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-home-utility

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
I LOVE THAT DEAL !

EVEN IF THE SOX DON'T WANT WILKERSON AND LIKE B. ANDERSON, THEN THEY CAN EASILY MOVE WILKERSON FOR SOME GOOD BULLPEN HELP.

HE IS A PLAYER THAT WOULD BE IN DEMAND.

THAT WOULD BE GREAT FOR THE SOX.

I'm with you...love Crede...but we wouldn't lose defensively with Blalock and we would have him for years...where is crede could be gone soon...especially with Bor-ass as his agent.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
Like maggs and CLEE????

Where are we now?

i did miss CLEE, he was always pretty nice to the fans when i had left field bleachers...

i'm not sure what your point was, i just said it was a great trade but i hate to players i like watching go. f***, i mean, i've spent so long waiting for garland to mature, now he does and he's gone. I was crede's # 1 fan comin outta the minors and stuck by him until he kept popping up to 3rd...then he stole me back in the playoffs. We should make this trade, but i'm not gonna apologize for feeling sad i won't get to watch these two players in sox uni's a little longer

Rogers is suggesting Garland AND Crede for Hank Blalock. AAACCK. No thanks. Here's Blalock's pitiful numbers away from home:

Away 334 26 77 20 0 5 29 21 1 70 0 0 .231 .276 .335 .611

.335 slugging? .276 OBP?

I wouldn't trade Joe Crede for him straight up? And I'm sure you could get Crede signed right now for Blalock's deal, even with Scott Boras as his agent.

Joe Crede is going to turn into a monster for the Sox in 2006, just like he was in the postseason.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
Rogers is suggesting Garland AND Crede for Hank Blalock.  AAACCK.  No thanks.  Here's Blalock's pitiful numbers away from home:

Away  334 26 77 20 0 5 29 21 1 70 0 0 .231 .276 .335 .611

.335 slugging?  .276 OBP? 

I wouldn't trade Joe Crede for him straight up?  And I'm sure you could get Crede signed right now for Blalock's deal, even with Scott Boras as his agent. 

Joe Crede is going to turn into a monster for the Sox in 2006, just like he was in the postseason.

Wow Blalock is really bad away, but how is that different from being bad at home @ the Cell no less:

2005 at Home

AJ .250 BA, .308 OBP, .448 SLG

Crede .235 BA, .281 OBP, .441 SLG

Uribe .234 BA, .285 OBP, .422 SLG

Everett .217 BA, .285 OBP, .438 SLG

I agree though, Crede looks like he is about to breakout.

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
I wouldn't trade Joe Crede for him straight up?  And I'm sure you could get Crede signed right now for Blalock's deal, even with Scott Boras as his agent. 

Right there you should have stopped yourself... Try not to make yourself look like an idiot, please.

Blalock is just as good on defense, is better on offense, even away from his home park, he hit better than Crede did AT HOME. And his agent is not Boras, and he is cheap. Seriously, come on.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Rogers is suggesting Garland AND Crede for Hank Blalock.  AAACCK.  No thanks.  Here's Blalock's pitiful numbers away from home:

Away  334 26 77 20 0 5 29 21 1 70 0 0 .231 .276 .335 .611

.335 slugging?  .276 OBP? 

You cant base his whole career on SPLIT statistics from 2005. Blalock had an off year last year and still hit 25 dingers and 92 rbis. The guy played in 161 games, 170 hits, 279 total bases and compare these to Crede's numbers and its a no contest. I understand, we owe a lot to Crede for his heroics in the playoffs, but some needs to tell Crede that the first 7 innings of a game are not extra BP I mean the guy only hits from the 7th inning and later. I think you have Crede way over valued, Blalock is a far better hitter and not too shabby at D either. Also if you mix in Crede's back problems, his agent, and even his age then Blalock is a much better option at third.

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
You cant base his whole career on SPLIT statistics from 2005.  Blalock had an off year last year and still hit 25 dingers and 92 rbis.  The guy played in 161 games, 170 hits, 279 total bases and compare these to Crede's numbers and its a no contest.  I understand, we owe a lot to Crede for his heroics in the playoffs, but some needs to tell Crede that the first 7 innings of a game are not extra BP I mean the guy only hits from the 7th inning and later.  I think you have Crede way over valued, Blalock is a far better hitter and not too shabby at D either.  Also if you mix in Crede's back problems, his agent, and even his age then Blalock is a much better option at third.

Bring up the splits from the year before.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
Right there you should have stopped yourself... Try not to make yourself look like an idiot, please.

Blalock is just as good on defense, is better on offense, even away from his home park, he hit better than Crede did AT HOME.  And his agent is not Boras, and he is cheap.  Seriously, come on.

Did Blalock on the road hit better than Crede on the road?