Crede and Garland to Texas?

GasHeGone

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
Dude, you don't have to say dude, so much. Okay dude? I'm not a surfer trying to hang 10.

I showed you the numbers and you chose to ignore them. Again, I'm not saying Crede is a much better player than Blalock, I would rate them in the same bracket of 3B. I see no point in trading a 3B for another one when it's not an upgrade. If you even leave them in the same spots in the order, what you get from Crede on the road is equal to what you would get from Blalock at home assuming he would be able to hit at our home. You're just trading away more HR's and RBI's in one park for RBI's & HR's on the road.

Dude.......

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
You do know there is a reason he doesnt hit in the heart of the order.  Because he is not that good, and not that consistent of a hitter.  You cant just say, well, Royce Clayton may hit 200 at the bottom of the order, but if you put him at the 3rd spot he will hit 285.  its just not that way.

And Blalock is not that good or consistant of a hitter. You could have Kevin Mench in Blalock's spot in the order and you wouldn't miss a beat if you were Texas. Blalock could hit at home and he could hit in the 1st half of a season, that's it.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
.252AVG, 22HR's, 62RBI's. That's out of the 9 slot with no protection and not really a spot in which you could produce mass RBI's. In the 3-4-5 role like Blalock, I think he would get at least 90 RBI's with 28 HR's and a .270avg with protection. Put Blalock in the 9 hole with no protection, he probably gets around the same or less than Crede.

The majority of crede's at-bats were in the eight hole, not nine. Protection is overated... if you are a good hitter you will hit no matter what.

Btw, crede's defense was only worse than chavez's this year ( i do not care what the plain defensive statistics show).

Hank Blalock isn't going to suck anywhere. He will hit with comparable or better numbers than he has put up thus far in his career. Joe Crede had to get hot at the end of the year to hit .250. He was nails in the playoffs, and seems poised for a breakout. The Sox have been here a few times with him already in his career and have been dissapointed each time. I think Crede has the better glove, but only slightly.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
Also figure that Blalock is going going to have to face 1 good SP staff in Minny, Cleveland is okay, but then he gets to feast on the Royals and Tigers... THe WEst has great staffs in every team execpt the Rangers..And I can't see him hitting against his own pitchers.

Cleveland has a pretty good staff. The Tigers have 2 good pitchers. Royals have like 1.

Seattle doesn't have a great staff. Oakland does, but Harden was injured for more than half the year. The Angels had Colon and that's it.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
Cleveland has a pretty good staff. The Tigers have 2 good pitchers. Royals have like 1.

Seattle doesn't have a great staff. Oakland does, but Harden was injured for more than half the year. The Angels had Colon and that's it.

Washburn and Lackey weren't bad, and their bullpen was pretty good.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
.252AVG, 22HR's, 62RBI's. That's out of the 9 slot with no protection and not really a spot in which you could produce mass RBI's. In the 3-4-5 role like Blalock, I think he would get at least 90 RBI's with 28 HR's and a .270avg with protection. Put Blalock in the 9 hole with no protection, he probably gets around the same or less than Crede.

That's fine and dandy, but Blalock wouldn't hit in the 9 hole. In his career he's provided a lot more offensive firepower than Crede, meaning he's generally held in higher esteem, meaning he's probably going to hit higher in the order. More importantly, you spot in the order doesn't really affect your power numbers or batting average that much like it does for runs and RBI. If a guy is a .250 hitter, he isn't suddenly going to hit .300 if you put him in the #3 spot, or hit 10 more homers just because he hits higher in the order. It still takes a certain amount of ability to do those things, something that Joe hasn't shown up to this point. He might finally have his breakout year and hit .280 with 30 homers, but it won't matter whether he's hitting 5th or 7th. The only possible way that the lineup could in any way improve his power or average is if he's hitting ahead of a more dangerous bat like Thome or Konerko and he gets more pitches to hit. That won't happen with either player.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
The majority of crede's at-bats were in the eight hole, not nine. Protection is overated... if you are a good hitter you will hit no matter what.

Btw, crede's defense was only worse than chavez's this year ( i do not care what the plain defensive statistics show).

I'm pretty sure Crede was the 9 hole hitter until the last month or so of the season.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
I don't know if we should trade for Blalock or not but why do people worry so much that he only hits well at Ameriquest?  Would he not hit at the Cell as well?

No. He could only hit at Texas. Which is good because the Sox have struggled there in recent years.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
I don't know if we should trade for Blalock or not but why do people worry so much that he only hits well at Ameriquest?  Would he not hit at the Cell as well?

Thats why we are putting Garland in the deal also, we are looking to get the operator of their scoreboard at Ameriquest. Our collective BA at home will go to 400 with that addition.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
That's fine and dandy, but Blalock wouldn't hit in the 9 hole. In his career he's provided a lot more offensive firepower than Crede, meaning he's generally held in higher esteem, meaning he's probably going to hit higher in the order. More importantly, you spot in the order doesn't really affect your power numbers or batting average that much like it does for runs and RBI. If a guy is a .250 hitter, he isn't suddenly going to hit .300 if you put him in the #3 spot, or hit 10 more homers just because he hits higher in the order. It still takes a certain amount of ability to do those things, something that Joe hasn't shown up to this point. He might finally have his breakout year and hit .280 with 30 homers, but it won't matter whether he's hitting 5th or 7th. The only possible way that the lineup could in any way improve his power or average is if he's hitting ahead of a more dangerous bat like Thome or Konerko and he gets more pitches to hit. That won't happen with either player.

But I'm saying, you put Crede in the 3-4-5 hole like Blalock is and you have the same numbers as Blalock. There is not much of a difference at all. And I'm not say Crede would be a .300 hitter, but I'm saying around .270-.280. And protection does affect a hitter.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)

Yeah you are right, Cleveland and Detroit have better staffs for sure. Why the hell did the Angels even make it to the ALCS anyway, they suck!!!

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
Thats why we are putting Garland in the deal also, we are looking to get the operator of their scoreboard at Ameriquest.  Our collective BA at home will go to 400 with that addition.

They still wouldn't be good enough in the 2nd half though.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
But I'm saying, you put Crede in the 3-4-5 hole like Blalock is and you have the same numbers as Blalock. There is not much of a difference at all. And I'm  not say Crede would be a .300 hitter, but I'm saying around .270-.280. And protection does affect a hitter.

So.... same numbers huh???? Yeah.....well I guess his OBP would jump up 30 points, and he wouldnt miss those breaking balls down and away so much, because he would have hitters around him.....and well.....I guess his consistency and his swing would just solidify and fix itself because of the lineup card....