Sox scouts at the BOB

southsider2k5

The Arizona Republic reported a start by Byung-Hyun Kim, returning from an ankle injury, could be a showcase for scouts as the Diamondbacks try to find offensive help. Scouts from Boston, Tampa Bay, Detroit, the Chicago White Sox and Milwaukee attended the May 20 game at BOB.

I think they like Jeff Mantei as their closer. They are still anxious to get rid of thier shortstop, Womack, who is now hitting about .225. I doubt if they would be interested in Konerko and his salary, because they have a really promising rookie (Overbay) at first. They are choking on a lot of big time contracts

Guest hotsoxchick1
I think they like Jeff Mantei as their closer.

well i like marte as ours.........screw botch.........ya think we can dump him for grace.. ill take him too.. he cant do any worse than what we already have at 1st............ :D :lol:

Guest hotsoxchick1
Think of how many errors he would save our infield.

im thinking more along the lines of how cute his butt is and what section exactly i would have to switch my seats to, so i could see it better when hes at first.........lol........... ;)

Guest hotsoxchick1
Junior Spivey and Mark Grace for Paul Konerko.  Send Paul home, I think I would miss him though.  Gracie could sit and smoke in the parking lot withe the tailgaters.  I like it.

id like it too.......he can tailgate with us anytime he wants..... ;)

May I digress on Grace? Nothing to do with the Sox.

In his rookie year, Harry Carey was doing the play by play, and Grace had long blonde hair and a lot of other youthful good looks. Someone on the other team hit a high pop fly about thirty feet or so behind first and 10-20 feet foul. So Grace races back and camps under it, losing his hat in the process. All you can see is his youthful face and looooong blonde hair blowing in the wind. Of course, he caught the ball, but Harry never mentioned that. All he could talk about was how good looking Grace was, and if he were a young lady in Chicago, he would do whatever it takes to get to know him, etc. etc. Harry went on and on about Grace's looks for several minutes, forgetting about the game completely, until Stone took over. Funniest thing I ever saw Harry do.

I think they like Jeff Mantei as their closer.  They are still anxious to get rid of thier shortstop, Womack, who is now hitting about .225.  I doubt if they would be interested in Konerko and his salary, because they have a really promising rookie (Overbay) at first.  They are choking on a lot of big time contracts

Matt Mantei, not Jeff

Interesting info, but have we had any Arizona DB scouts at Sox games that we have heard about? I am thinking Arizona might need relief help, but am not up on their IB situation.

Lets just put it this way, I'm pretty sure Grace is their starting first baseman. It would be a sweet move it the Sox could get Kim for Konerko. Would the Dbacks do it? They have enough pitching once the unit gets back, but Kim is probably the best arm that isn't super old around there (I know they also have John Patterson). I'd think the Sox would have to take some salary along with him, maybe Tony Womack.

Womack and Kim for Konerko and some change is a deal I would do. Sox cover Womack and Kim's contract Dbacks get Konerkos and get a much needed bat.

Arizona is in need of hitting, not pitching. Jayson Stark of ESPN.com discussed this in a recent article (http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1554314.html). The problem though is that Arizona needs to shed some salary and has some young players that they seem happy to check out. We all know the Sox are unlikely to add salary. But if we could get another starter for one of our underachieving hitters plus a minor leaguer??? (wishful thinking...)

wtf people want to trade konerko for bk kim and mark grace? has the world gone insane?

I'd say so. I do think picking up Kim would be real nice. He could turn into a really good starter and if not, then it gives the Sox a lethal punch in the bullpen and opens up the possibility of a Flash Gordon deal and there is plenty of value out there for Gordon.

The big reason I would like to move Konerko is because i don't think of him as an 8 mill a year player.

im thinking more along the lines of how cute his butt is and what section exactly i would have to switch my seats to, so i could see it better when hes at first.........lol........... ;)

If you want Grace to find you, just carry a TV camera and a microphone!

Has there ever been a guy who leeches onto TV cameras more than Grace? Maybe Gary Carter....MAYBE...

Mark Grace....ugh.... :finger