Lloyd Mclendon?

Chisoxfn

Giles has a no trade clause to the Sox. He doesn't want to be here.

He could always waive it. He wasn't willing to do so in the past. He's been struggling since coming back from an injury, but I don't see the Pirates dumping him. They have a pretty solid foundation.

He could always waive it.  He wasn't willing to do so in the past.  He's been struggling since coming back from an injury, but I don't see the Pirates dumping him.  They have a pretty solid foundation.

Don't bet on it. This isn't the best situation to come into.

Well SI, you spent all that time in Pgh, what do you think of McClendon? Whoops nobody asked but I'll try to answer. To Sox fans Mac may look good compared to the seemingly comatose Manuel. He is fiery and that night he ripped the base from its moorings was great theatre. I think he has a tendency to overmanage and he is too much of a "by the book' manager to suit my tastes. He is religious about his pitch counts and his determination to get the exactly right matchup. Sometimes he paints himself into a corner and is outfoxed by a wiser manager like Dusty Baker who took him to school earlier this year. Kind of like Piniella outfoxed Manuel in the playoffs. Despite his strong temperament he always talks like the Pirates are about to turn the corner and make it to the post season. He sometimes makes Chuck Tanner look like a pessimist. Tanner who formerly managed the Sox, Pirates (79WS) and Braves was famous for his rosy pronouncements. That kind of attitude doesn't play well in a tough city like Pittsburgh and for that reason McClendon has worn out his welcome with many fans in Pittsburgh. In short, I think McClendon is a work in progress. He's not the best chess player in the dugout, but he does have energy and the desire to win. In that respect he's in the mold of a Weaver or Piniella. He needs to learn to push the right buttons and sometimes that means not going by the book. I always liked managers who trusted their gut.