Cubs after Tejada, could move Prior

SSH2005

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5189112

The Cubs, aggressively pursuing a blockbuster trade for Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada, are willing to part with a top starting pitcher, most likely right-hander Mark Prior, sources tell FOXSports.com.

The talks are stalled, a source says, over the Cubs' insistence that the Orioles give up left-hander Erik Bedard along with Tejada — and the Cubs' refusal to include top outfield prospect Felix Pie or a top pitching prospect in such a deal.

The Cubs and Orioles also have engaged in three-way discussions with the Red Sox in which Tejada would go to the Cubs and Ramirez to the Orioles, according to another source. The package the Sox would receive is unclear, but could include Prior, shortstop Ronny Cedeno and center fielder Corey Patterson.

Whatever the details, such a trade would appear to be a longshot, and no other deal appears close. Orioles owner Peter Angelos is a difficult negotiator who routinely procrastinates on major personnel moves. Any deal involving Ramirez would require him to waive his no-trade clause, an issue that could further complicate discussions.

If the Orioles want to move Tejada in a straight, two-team trade, the Cubs would be a more logical partner than the Red Sox, who play in the same division, or even the Angels, who play in the same league.

The Cubs are believed to be more willing to trade Prior, 25, than right-hander Carlos Zambrano, 24, who has emerged as the team's workhorse and ace. The Orioles likely would not be interested in right-hander Kerry Wood, 28, who is coming off shoulder surgery.

If the Cubs acquired Bedard, they would gain a ready replacement for Prior and keep their rotation at full strength. But the Orioles need to add pitching, not trade it, which is why they would want a top prospect from the Cubs. Cedeno, Patterson and second baseman Todd Walker are among the other Cubs who could attract the Orioles' interest.

Tejada, 29, said he wanted to be traded in an interview with the Associated Press earlier this month, stating his desire to play for a winning organization and his belief that he would benefit from a "change of scenery."

He later softened his remarks, but did not back off his position in talks with club officials. He has four years and $48 million remaining on the six-year, free-agent contract he signed with the Orioles prior to the 2004 season.

Rather than move Tejada, the Orioles could attempt to improve the team around him. They've signed free-agent catcher Ramon Hernandez, 29, to a four-year, $27.5 million contract and free-agent outfielder Jeff Conine, 39, to a one-year, $1.75 million deal. They also are talking to free-agent outfielder Jeromy Burnitz, 36, and are one of several clubs pursuing free-agent right-hander Kevin Millwood, 31, who seems most likely to sign with the Rangers.

While the Cubs appear to be the team pushing hardest for Tejada, the Orioles have maintained steady dialogue about a possible deal with the Red Sox. However, they rejected the Sox's initial offer of Ramirez, and a straight trade between the clubs might only be possible if the Sox included pitching. The Orioles then would seek to trade for a shortstop or sign one as a free agent.

The Angels, meanwhile, continue to view the addition of a slugger like Tejada as their top priority. Their talks for Ramirez have not advanced, and like the Cubs, they have numerous young players who would appeal to the Orioles, starting with right-hander Ervin Santana and first baseman Casey Kotchman. The Orioles also could take back high-priced veterans like shortstop Orlando Cabrera and first baseman Darin Erstad in a trade.

The White Sox, willing to move right-hander Jon Garland or right-hander Jose Contreras, are another team believed to be interested in Tejada. Both Garland and Contreras, however, are eligible for free agency at the end of the season. Under Angelos, the Orioles have routinely balked at acquiring potential free agents without the assurance of signing them long-term.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even for a perennial All-Star such as Tejada, I wouldn't consider trading Prior (and a top prospect)--regardless of receiving Bedard in return. Too many question marks within the Cubs' rotation. IF Wood were healthy and Maddux several years younger, I'd approve the trade.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

If the Cubs acquired Bedard, they would gain a ready replacement for Prior and keep their rotation at full strength.

LMAO@this part of the article. Bedard a "ready" replacement for Prior? Their rotation would still be at full strength?

Zambrano

Bedard

Maddux

Wood

?

Oh, yeah, that rotation is beyond scary. :lol:

The Dodgers and Angels have been the 2 teams most mentioned on here with trade talks for Jon Garland.

But I think the Orioles would also be an interesting option, depending on who'd they be willing to give up. Take for example an offer like this, we trade Jon Garland for Eric Bedard, Chris Ray and another prosepct. Bedard only made $330,000 in 2005 and I believe he's eligible for arbitration for the 1st time, so he'd be under our control for 3 seasons. He's a bit injury prone for a starter, but he showed in April and May what he's capable of at his best. Daniel Cabrera could be another option, but I think they want to keep him and see how he does under Leo Mazzone.

Chris Ray on the other hand had a 2.66 ERA in 41 games for the O's this season. He's only 23, and could be an excellent set-up man for us in the years to come.

Of course Angelos does have a reputation for not trading for guys unless they can be signed long - term, but they're still an interesting option.

The White Sox would be stupid to trade Garland to the Angels unless it involves Garland and Jermaine Dye for Vladimir Guererro and a reliever.

You don't want to help the #1 team that is in your direct line of fire when it comes to a playoff repeat.

What if we got back a package which included Scot Shields and Dallas McPherson for Garland? They just traded for Edgardo Alfonzo so they may be willing to move McPherson. We would get great bullpen help and an eventual replacement for Crede (we could then trade Crede after 2006) and it would lower our payroll. That seems like a more reasonable and realistic trade to me.

Edited by SSH2005

Bedard as a ready replacement for Prior? Maybe on the DL.

This guy was smoking last year in the 1st half.

He started out 5-1 with a 2.08 ERA, and had 52 Ks to 14 BBs. Then he gets hurt.

After the injury, he goes 1-7 with a 5.44 ERA and 73 Ks to 43 BBs.

That looks like 2 different pitchers.

I hope the Scrubs do this trade. Maybe they are attempting to be the first team in MLB history to have all 5 opening day starters on the DL at the same time.

Wood - Always injured

Maddux - Old, really old

Zambrano - Seems one tirade away from a hamstring injury

Bedard - See Above

Take your pick

Man, if Baltimore picks up and holds on to Prior, he is going to be a Yankee in under 3 years. The Yankees originally drafted him, and its no secret that they like Prior. Its going to be just like when Toronto signed Clemens. Prior will do well, and Steinbrenner will swoop in and pull him out of the overspent Orioles roster.

Oh man how the cubs are getting desperate. As much as Zambrano is a good pitcher, Prior is the most talented and probably most likely to be a Cy Young winner. Eric Bedard? Uh ok, why not just clone Glendon Rusch then Mr Hendry? Bruce Levine said a package of young players, well if you are going to package 2 pitchers I would assume that would be Prior and Hill, and then Cedeno, for Tejada. Wow. Getting a little desperate are we?

The Chisox might be flying under that radar just barely skimming the surface and then bammo! We get Tejada. Probably not, but who knows. Tejada would be pretty neat in a Sox uniform, but pay wise can we afford him?And after what Uribe did in the WS it makes you want to hug ole Juan.

QUOTE(lukeman89 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
:lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting

:lolhitting

oh, if you think that was awesome, this one is better

If this deal became:

Red Sox get- Murton and Pie

Orioles get-Cedeno and Prior

Cubs get- Ramirez and Tejada

Then I might consider it, only because.....

Pierre

Walker

Lee

Ramirez

Ramirez

Tejada

Jones

Barrett

would make the mets lineup look like the royals'.

We could give Hill a shot in the rotation and Guzman a shot in the summer, ending up with:

Zambrano

Wood

Guzman

Hill

Maddux

Matt Murton projected homeruns over 580 ABs? 35.

If this deal became:

Pierre

Walker

Lee

Ramirez

Ramirez

Tejada

Jones

Barrett

We could give Hill a shot in the rotation and Guzman a shot in the summer, ending up with:

Zambrano

Wood

Guzman

Hill

Maddux

I think the cubs are gettting screwed in that deal

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)

If this deal became:

Pierre

Walker

Lee

Ramirez

Ramirez

Tejada

Jones

Barrett

Zambrano

Wood

Guzman

Hill

Maddux

if i could, i would insert infinity plus one of these :lolhitting

yeah what if we traded garland and crede and got big pappy and made him play third base!

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
I dont like the Ken Rosenthal suggested Red Sox/Orioles/Cubs swap.  I think the Red Sox would be getting alot more than they deserved.

Yeah, I'm calling shennanigans on it too. Why the hell would the O's do that? I imagine since Tejada is a SS his value is similar to Manny, so why wouldn't they get what the Red Sox are getting?

This is just my opinion, but after reading the first article on the thread, it seems like these might be kind of stale rumors, but just got leaked out. (Of course now that I typed this, this exact deal will be announced within an hour)

I would scratch my head if Cubs pull this deal off. Didn't they see how the White Sox, Marlins, etc... have won the WS recentally?

It was interesting to hear Dan Patrick on the show with Levine today, basically Patrick said that Prior wouldn't be nearly enough for Tejada, and Bruce pointed out how locally, with his injuries etc... Prior is not as rated highly nationally.

Im thinking Bruce is talking out of his ass. This doesnt make a whole bunch of sense. Cubs fans seriously are taking this all to heart. And yet another awesome cubs fan trade rumor:

don't see it for Tejada. Too much RH hitting. Your bullets are mostly right on though.

You heard it here first Phils, Cubs, A's

Abreu and Zito to Cubs

Hamels and Murton to A's

Prior to Phils

Makes sense for all with the exception that Zito is a FA next year so extension for Zito is mandatory to pull it off